Burnt soles

Well, today wasn't super crazy hot or anything, only 80 degrees, but my poor soles are only used to 40-50 degrees. My soles are very tender but no blisters thankfully. I don't remember having this problem last year, but maybe I just had lots of this burning pain that I had just attributed to skin abrasion and being new to barefooting. Anyhow, I am just happy to be out and about again. Guess I got to acclimate to the heat again... :barefoot:

One of our peeps ran on ASPHALT a couple days ago and DID get blisters! Yeouch! I went running yesterday and my feet hurt from the hot pavement too, but I did not get blisters. I could not run today.

I got a few blisters this year from running on hot bitumen, probably around 35C. I had blisters for a decent part of the summer due to hot surfaces. Maybe I'm a slow learner, should have run later in the evening. I went through the exercise many years ago of measuring the surface temperatures on hot days and it can get very hot. I measured bitumen at over 50C on a 38C day in direct sunlight. Brick also got pretty hot. Concrete is the coolest to run on.

Neil

don't have this problem in the Mid West just yet.
Sunday it was 50F and WINDY. Felt like the low 40s
Other than the wind I'm not complaining tho.
Not bad temps for a longer run =)

Jen, I'll be able to run today. I wouldn't want to miss the lovely rain after a few hot days. (I know I'm backwards of most people, I love the winters and cool months but despise the summers and the heat)

Nick, duh, I'm just like you -did you forget? You are the only person I know that hates heat as much as I do, and gets as hot as I do. At the Shamrock run it was like 35 degrees that morning and I was already stripped down to just a tank top, I was that hot already, just from my warm-up run. The run I did the other day was at noon, in like 75 degree weather -I wasn't thinking, obviously. Halfway through my run I had to stop because I started to feel like I was going to puke from the heat. Most people LOVE 75 degree weather, but for me, I might as well be in hell. Today I am running in the woods, where I belong. I just can not do pavement in spring/summer. Too bad you can't do trail running regularly.

I love hot weather but it's taking a while to get used to hot pavement. I normally only get to run at 5 after work so the ground it still toasty. At least I get practice running in gravel when my soles get to hot.

Ya no kidding Jen. 70 is fine but more than that and I start feeling sick. I forgot that you are like me with that. I bet Mike is loving the warm weather though, he's always bundled up so much. He may actually be in shorts and a short sleeved shirt now. :p

Ya no kidding Jen. 70 is fine but more than that and I start feeling sick. I forgot that you are like me with that. I bet Mike is loving the warm weather though, he's always bundled up so much. He may actually be in shorts and a short sleeved shirt now. :p
One day this last winter, in addition to his usual 6 layers of clothes, he puts on this super-thick ski mask. I burst into laughter and asked him if we were going to rob banks, lol. He's lucky though, cuz we can only take so many clothes off! I have been threatening to run in my bikini this summer, all winter. I've already worn just my sports bra, for a top, already. :D

Reactions: happysongbird
For me the hot is part of the cycle of fun and adventure. I love the runs where I'm just dripping after the first mile and I can feel the sweat as it runs down off my legs onto my bare feet soles. Then comes the part Jen might like, jumping into the river...aaaah! I bet you all are a hoot running together. Makes me wish for more BF company hereabouts.

Reactions: Zetti and jldeleon
I must be the opposite of a lot of you folk, I can't wait for the winter to be over and it has hardly even started yet. Anything below 10C and I start thinking about staying indoors in the warm. I will run in temps up to 40C (105F) after that I prefer cycling as my mouth gets too dry. I remember cycling home from work a year ago when we hit around 45C (113F) but as it is very dry heat your body cooling system works just fine. It altogether a different situation in Darwin, the humidity up there in September-January is 80-100% and its 35C as well, sweating just doesn't work up there.

Neil

Neil, I used to be like you and I hated winters. Then I was served in Afghanistan and the extremes in temps there I think screwed up my body because now anything much over 70 F makes me start to feel sick and dizzy. My wife can't comprehend it and it annoys her to no end that I feel this way. Heck, I'm no Dr and I don't understand it I just know that's what seems to have happened to me.

Hi Nick,
Maybe its something to do with clothing. I would think (from the photos I see) that when you were over there you have to wear all the full gear with big boots as well, all in the hot weather. Normally when you are out on a warm day you would wear lose, light clothes. It could be that you were over heating all the time over there and your body reacted to it. I'm sure if I had to wear heavy army gear and made to run in the summer I would soon get an aversion to hot weather.

Neil

I'm sure that probably has something to do with it. I've never been in heat like that before and I used to live in Phoenix. Back then my unit was not allowed to walk around in t-shirts with our gear. We had to wear the full DCU top which is the long sleeved heavy top. Sucked bad. I see pictures of soldiers now though that are in t-shirts and flak jackets. Glad to see that although it may just be a unit by unit thing.

so nice to see i'm being bad mouthed when i can't get online to defend myself. too bad there aren't alerts set up for when you're mentioned in a post. like getting tagged on FB.

you both just need to lose some fat. i need to lose some more but apparently don't have enough to keep me warm when it drops below 50F. mury on can't run in temps above 50F. well, not without a few water breaks and going pretty slow.

Nick, try some potassium when it's getting warm. don't know right now anything beyond that to try.

so nice to see i'm being bad mouthed when i can't get online to defend myself. too bad there aren't alerts set up for when you're mentioned in a post. like getting tagged on FB.

you both just need to lose some fat. i need to lose some more but apparently don't have enough to keep me warm when it drops below 50F. mury on can't run in temps above 50F. well, not without a few water breaks and going pretty slow.

Nick, try some potassium when it's getting warm. don't know right now anything beyond that to try.

Muahahhaaaaaa! What is potassium spose to do?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test