Burin Peninsula hiker completes barefoot walk of East Coast Trail for mental health supports

Donovan Byrd.png

Burin Peninsula hiker completes barefoot walk of East Coast Trail for mental health supports
By CBC.ca

After 12 days of hiking the East Coast Trail from Cape St. Francis to Cappahayden, Donovan Byrd can finally put his feet up.

The 24-year-old began his journey down the eastern coast of Newfoundland's Avalon Peninsula in August in an effort to raise money for mental health initiatives in the province.

But Byrd's trek came with a twist — walking over 260 kilometres barefoot.

"It feels pretty unbelievable that I've even gotten that far," Byrd told CBC News on Saturday.

"Two-hundred-sixty kilometres, it's rough with bare feet on asphalt, but when you're on the trail it's even harder. So It's just unbelievable that I've done it."

Byrd said part of the inspiration to walk barefoot came from a hike in Quebec earlier this summer, when he forgot to bring his hiking boots and decided to hike 12 kilometres without his running shoes on.

But the journey along the East Coast Trail was also fuelled by a different type of pain — the death of Byrd's cousin, Tyler Bolt.

"When someone commits suicide, nobody really blinks an eye," Byrd said.

"But when my cousin Tyler passed, I really wanted to make an impact, and to get that awareness out that mental health is a huge issue in our province and it needs to be dealt with."

To continue reading, please visit:

CBC.ca
... barefoot came from a hike in Quebec earlier this summer, when he forgot to bring his hiking boots and decided to hike 12 km without his running shoes on ...

Reactions: IraR