Bruise on bottom of foot, big, swollen

jschwab

Barefooters
Jun 16, 2010
Ice and arnica gel and not walking and wearing cushioned shoes is what I've been doing. Anything else? Never had this before. I think I hit down in the same place on a sidewalk edge twice, one on Monday and once on Tuesday, probably as compensation for the bruised toe I got on Sunday. Totally a function of running at night :(

I'm kinda down on barefoot running right now. I heard a story yesterday about a boy who was fed by the nonprofit relief agency I work for after the war in Germany who still, to this day, keeps two full suitcases of brand new shoes in his closet because his feet were always messed up from not having shoes. Sigh... Still it's better than tendonitis.

I don't run on grass and I

I don't run on grass and I don't run after dark. I take enough chances on gravel as it is.

The German kid must be in his eighties by now, I challange the storyteller to provide proof.

Don't believe it for a minute.

treat it like any other

treat it like any other bruise and give it time to heal. the things you are doing are the best things you can do for it.

the truth of the matter is we put ourselves at risk when we run bare. it's true when you compare it to shod running. a shod runner can basically just tuen out the work and take off without fear. they mostly just have to make sure to avoid big holes and things sticking up to trip them. the barefoot runner has to take certain measures to protect the feet. it's simple fact and it can be frustrating when you know that some of the issues you deal with would not happen if you just wore shoes. that is why the arguments are all in place today. shoes protect you and let you be careless where running bare puts you at risk so how can it be better? you can do this dance all day and not really get anywhere. The other side of the coin is that the average shod runner is feeling the exact same way you are about running in general where you are only feeling that way about an aspect of running. the average runner sits around with shin, knee, ankle, foot, lower back, hamstring, hip flexor, and it band pains wondering how and why.

all runners face challenges shod or bare. it doesnt matter how you run. at some point you will face the "why am I doing this" monster and it's all about how you handle the adversity. what does it really mean to you? answer that question and the rest falls into place.

I've been in a rut too this

I've been in a rut too this week. I am blaming it on the dark and cold (if you can all it that). I think the shortened days and not spending time in the sun really impact my overall well being.

I shot off more F bombs on my run yesterday than I care to admit. And I got this nasty ass blood blister from hitting a rock pretty hard. It's been a while since that has happened to me.

Ah hang in there jschwab.

You could be right on Abide. 

You could be right on Abide. There are countless studies that show a drop in sun exposure can cause all sorts of emotional changes, the most common being anger and depression. I once knew a guy who was given a prescription for sunless tanning during the winter. He owned a pool/landscape company and was outdoors all summer. Then in winter he suffered from massive depression every year and would become suicidal. He went to a therapist who traced it to the change in vitamin d. He began tanning and almost immediately felt better.

Hey, speaking of ruts I'm in

Hey, speaking of ruts I'm in one too...overextended the top of my left foot and I've been icing it and keeping off running for 10 days. It feels like it was torn and has repaired itself but it's stiff.

It's sunny every day here in Denver (high desert) so conversely, I look out the window at how lovely it is and get really pissed off!!! Running 1 mile at a time these days, easing back in. Injury is no fun, but it can teach you a lot about form, watching yourself and what you're doing wrong, and preventing it from happening again.

The only other time I've sprained the top of my foot was when I was running hard and long in OLD SHOES. It's the only injury I've ever gotten - TOFP. From shoes! So regardless, shod or unshod, I would have this trouble. The only solution is I need to get stronger feet so this'll never happen again!

Jimmy's got a good point...regardless of anything, shod or barefoot, injuries happen. You just gotta keep going!

Hey Mary, I don't know if you

Hey Mary, I don't know if you know this or not, but Erwan LeCorre of MovNat lives practically in your backyard. You should attednd one of his workshops to to get some ideas of other cross training activites you can do outside.

Sorry J, just like anything

Sorry J, just like anything else give it time to heal and most importantly do not quit BFR.

@ Abide and Mary, hang in there you two...it shall pass.

Yeah its just cold, and it

Yeah its just cold, and it will pass. I am currently cursing the cold, and the lack of sun.... But I am doing a lot more leg workouts inside because of it, and keeping the cold runs as short/comfortable as possible. Who knows maybe the winter will actually be good for me as far as lower body strength.

Thanks for the kind words,

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. I run alot during dusk and that old saying about visibility being worst during the transition between light and dark is really true. I have had so many little issues from that time. I feel like my half training is done and set (it's in 16 days), and I had some pretty intense days a work (painting a mural with high schoolers) so I am OK not running any more this week and just healing. Just keepin' on.

P.S. That story with the old guy is from 10 years ago. He might have been 60 or so at that time, remembering stepping on all the bombed-out rubble.

jschwab wrote: That story

jschwab said:
That story with the old guy is from 10 years ago. He might have been 60 or so at that time, remembering stepping on all the bombed-out rubble.

Yeah, I guess that does sound believable. Living through the aftermath of a bombed out city is a bit different than just general shoeless poverty.

My father escaped from the Nazis, but was able to return to his home in Germany while working for the U.S. War Department after the end of WWII. What he found were his mother and two of his surviving sisters (one other also escaped, but three siblings perished) sitting in the rubble of their former home. Compared to surviving the concentration camp, this was relative luxury.

I was raised overprotected (my mom was also a Holocaust survivor) probably as a direct result of their experiences, and wore shoes inside the house as expected to til my middle teen years!

I am so sorry, Board.J,

I am so sorry, Board.

J, maybe after this half, you take a couple of weeks off and regroup. Good luck and speedy healing.

Board, I am so sorry to hear

Board, I am so sorry to hear of that happening to your family. I think being the first generation following Holocaust survivors is one of the harder ways to grow up. My friends in that position had very tough times. I can understand why you would have been overprotected.