BRS 2012-2013 Winter Challenge

Discussion in 'Front Page News' started by Barefoot YOW, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Barefoot YOW

Barefoot YOW Barefooters
    1. Canada
    2. International

BRS 2012-2013 Winter Challenge
    By Barefoot YOW

Barefoot in the Winter? Are you Crazy?

I guess the short answer is YES, but I’m not alone.

challenge_2012.png
    left to right (Barefoot YOW's footprints, Mikkel, Barefooting Bob, rickwhitelaw, YOW)

The BRS 2012 Winter Challenge has come and gone. 46 members from 8 countries, joined our Challenge this year, which ran from Oct 1st to Apr 1st. Any barefoot run with the temperature below 41°F (5°C) was a qualifying run. The Challenge had participants record the distance they ran per temperature range. Some ran only a mile or two while others ran 100s of miles. The point of the Challenge was to encourage all to try running in the near or sub-freezing temperatures. And try they did. As a group, we ran 2323 miles (3739 km). That’s almost the same as running across North America (New York to Washington State). Here’s our Group numbers:

Summary1.png

We had some great numbers by individuals. Two members (Chelsea and Bosenoge) ran marathons. Barefooting Bob ran at -24°F (-31.2°C) while dutchie ran at 11°F (-24°C). Oh, rickwhitelaw managed to smash the record for total distance by 100 miles as he ran 351 miles (565 km). We managed to escape without a major case of frost bite, but had a couple close calls. Rickwhitelaw made a great observation about acclimatizing last year where I jumped in without proper conditioning and suffered frostbite, this year I was going to be prepared. I had already been working in cold conditions in September.” I think Bare Lee summed up the thoughts of the veterans, when he said I'd say this year my tolerances improved … At this point running on dry asphalt or concrete when it's above freezing doesn't feel like a challenge at all … The Winter Challenge definitely made winter running more interesting and enjoyable, that's for sure..” We had a good friendly competition. The Canadians got off to an early lead but in the end the Americans took the top two spots. My toque is off to rickwhitelaw (1st), Bare Lee (2nd), and Run Barefoot (3rd). There were 13 runners that exceeded 60 miles (100 km). Hearty congratulations to everyone that participated. Here’s the individual numbers:

Summary2.png
    A comparison of 2012 to 2011 showed some interesting findings.

1. We had a significantly higher average distance ran at the 23 to 14°F and 5 to -4°F temperature ranges, indicating improved tolerance.

2. Sweet spot as far as temperature was consistent 41 to 14°F (5 to -10°C)
    a. 2012: 93.5% of all runs
    b. 2011: 94.3% of all runs

Summary3.png Summary4.png Summary5.png

Thanks to everyone that participated in our Winter Challenge. The rivalry was fun, and it was great to see so many take up the challenge of running barefoot in Winter. Spring in on its way. Get out there and run barefoot, no matter the weather!

Barefoot YOW

Mikkel.png

nisto, otoole4info, jldeleon and 7 others like this.
  2. murls

murls Barefooters
    1. Australia

That's crazy! I think I will stick with the Jamaicans on this one. :)

3. Barefooting Bob

Barefooting Bob Chapter Presidents
    1. Canada
    2. North Dakota
    3. Nederland -...

Didn't you know that I am part Jamaican, man. My dreads are tucked up under my touque. :D

murls and Barefoot Walker like this.
  4. NickW

NickW Guest

Next year if I am fully recovered from injury, I can cheat with this Oregon weather that we have that hovers in the winter mornings between 30-40 deg F and rack up a ton of miles. It's often wet, but we don't really get cold enough for snow or ice much. Way to go everyone and I hope next year to be in the competition as well.

5. happysongbird

happysongbird Chapter Presidents
    1. Idaho

That's quite an impressive report! I don't think that I will ever be a challenge to any of you in this regard.

6. Tristan

Tristan Barefooters
    1. Ohio

More power to you all! I agree with songbird though... but who knows next year. I did get some shots of my feet in the snow I might have to find, but the only way I pulled that off was because it was in the 40's that day. :p

murls and Barefoot Walker like this.
  7. barefootn

barefootn Barefooters
    1. New York

Thanks for the good work YOW. It was fun. I hope I can do more next year.

8. Barefooting Bob

Barefooting Bob Chapter Presidents
    1. Canada
    2. North Dakota
    3. Nederland -...

Oh you will for sure, because we now have you hooked, you will have the need to see how low and far you can go. :eek:

9. mandytheartist

mandytheartist Barefooters
    1. Massachusetts

None of that counts me, but I run bare in Boston year-round.

10. devilnuts

devilnuts Barefooters
    1. Hawaii
    2. Arizona -...

Wow...just reading that makes me cold.

11. Barefoot YOW

Barefoot YOW Barefooters
    1. Canada
    2. International

Could you give us an estimate of how many miles you ran barefoot below 41°F? I'm just curious as to where you would have placed in our rankings.

Barefoot Walker likes this.
  12. Barefoot YOW

Barefoot YOW Barefooters
    1. Canada
    2. International

Here are the stamps for participants:

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff487/BarefootYOW/BRS Winter Challenge/Award_Winter_Challenge_2010-1_zps939dc9e9.png
    [​IMG]

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff487/BarefootYOW/BRS Winter Challenge/Award_Winter_Challenge_2011-2_zpsd23861ad.png
    [​IMG]

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff487/BarefootYOW/BRS Winter Challenge/Award_Winter_Challenge_2012_zps99d9c790.png
    [​IMG]

Note:
    I was attempting to update the images used from previous years, replacing the image with a file having the same name (as per instructions found on Google). This would have updated the image automatically, for participants from 2010 and 2011. Unfortunately Photobucket.com now appends a generated _zps number onto each uploaded photo. This meant I could not replace the images. Those participants, from 2010 and 2011, will have to replace the stamp URL used in their signature. I have added the URLs above.

I will be sending Smelph, Run Barefoot, and rickwhitelaw their new Winner stamp.

Instructions for adding stamp to your signature:
    1. Logon to BRS
    2. Select Preferences from user logon drop down (upper right corner of BRS)
    3. Select Signature
    4. Insert an image to your signature area
    5. Insert the appropriate URL to the image (copy/paste from above)

Sorry for the confusion

13. barefootn

barefootn Barefooters
    1. New York

Yes, but do you wear shoes?:D

14. mandytheartist

mandytheartist Barefooters
    1. Massachusetts

Yow-I run about 30mi/wk. So I'd guess from Thanksgiving to Easter is a good estimate.

15. Barefoot Walker

Barefoot Walker Barefooters
    1. Iowa

Darn! I was unaware of this challenge, but I did a lot of running, walking, and snow shoveling in this time frame, including:
    Many workouts, nearly daily until November, when I cut back;
    Several races: a 5K, a 10K, two through woods (RCC Run the Woods and Sycamore 8 though the latter was in 10℃ temps), and a few other woods runs; a “Nearly Naked Mile” run (in which I wore only shorts and cap in 3℃ with rain) as part of a clothing drive [​IMG]
    though I ran farther than that because I arrived late; shoveling snow at least once after every snowfall, one of these wearing only a swim suit and cap on my deck; and numerous walks of maybe 1km in snow and/or cold. On 03/24, I did a Palm Sunday peace procession of about 2.5km with snow falling.
    Today I did an untimed six-mile (they said it was not a 10K) “Solidarity Run” (I walked part of it as I ran out of energy) to show support for the victims in the Boston terrorist attack—with the temp at start -2 and maybe five at finish!
    You can see my workouts on DailyMile. As the videos I did of me shoveling are self-shot, they are not of the best quality but are available on YouTube under “Barefoot Walker” (find that channel). Following are a pic of me after the Nearly Naked Mile in which my hands were almost numb but my legs and feet had no problem, and the vid of me shoveling in a swim suit.

Keep running barefoot!

rickwhitelaw, murls and barefootn like this.
  16. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

That's a shame, Walker. You might have taken some of these hot shots for their money too. Oh wait, we don't gamble here. :shy:

17. Zetti

Zetti Barefooters
    1. Michigan

Thanks again YOW!
    This was my first year but definitely not my last....and might I say that Rick really blew everyone else out of the water in mileage. Impressive man! :barefoot:

18. barefootn

barefootn Barefooters
    1. New York

Nice video Walker. Is the hat to keep your head warm?:)

Barefoot Walker and Barefoot TJ like this.
  19. barefootn

barefootn Barefooters
    1. New York

After I finish watching your video, youtube offered this similar BF snow sweeping video, I thought you might like it.

20. Barefoot Walker

Barefoot Walker Barefooters
    1. Iowa

Please! Barefoot Walker.:)
    *gasp* I’d feel naked if I went out without a hat!;) That is, I almost never go outside without some sort of head covering regardless of what else I am wearing. If you saw some of my other videos, you will notice that I also cover my hands when shoveling except in this one.
    I dedicated that vid to another who also has some of him wearing little in snow.
    BTW, I sweep light falls but use a push broom, and chip when necessary also. I try to attack it as early as possible so that when the sun rises and shines on it, the walks will be clean sooner.
    Thanks for the comments!