Breathing

Breathing through the nose should force more diaphragm work. If you breathe shallowly through the nose, you're going to get worst possible combination, and give up pretty quickly.

Concentrating on the breathe can be a really powerful meditation, and have a calming effect that way. It can also be a huge distraction and cause more stress than necessary.

Answer to the problem?

We are all an experiment of one :)

However, there are times when mouth-breathing is appropriate and useful. During hot weather, certain mouth-breathing techniques can be used to help cool the body. So, IMHO, there's a place for both types of breathing. The key is to breathe mindfully, consciously, and deliberately, however it's done.
On the hottest, most humid, days I find nose breathing a guaranteed way to control my level of exertion.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Interesting tip DNEChris, I hope I can remember it when it gets hot again in 9 months. I also thought BFWillie's idea of using nose-breathing to emphasize use of the diaphragm intriguing. I don't know if it will work for me on faster runs, but perhaps I can manage it at 10mm pace, we'll see.

Overall though, I think emphasizing the diaphragm (versus intercostal muscles) over any sort of rule or ratio for breathing is the place to start, analogous to emphasizing posture (along with barefoot barefoot running) over any sort of rule or cue for proper form.

I started using one regularly after watching an episode of Six Feet Under a few years ago. My environmental allergies are a lot better. I started using distilled water after watching an episode of House.
TV, ......where all learning takes place (and such good learning choices you've made---lets just hope you don't do surgery from House. Embalming from six feet under....well whatever, not like you'll killem)

Reactions: Sid
I underrate breathing until i get into something i'm allergic to and wheeze and have my throat swell up with 5 miles between me and an inhaler.
Must've been in a low "maf" range or something because it cut off my breathing somewhat but everything else felt fine I just kept it slow and steady and continued to run.
Happened this weekend and it gave me the epiphany; breathing is GOOD. Not breathing is BAD. This one is not debatable (ah but this is the internet)
You can leave the house without your shoes, or clothes for that matter, and use whatever form you like and get away with it maybe, but you ain't gonna go far without oxygen.

So definitely I'm probreathing. Just want to make that clear. Always consider breathing in whatever way you feel is right.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts