Breathing

Isn't comparing nose-breathing while less active to nose-breathing while running like comparing heel-striking while walking to heel-striking while running? Just as one transitions automatically from walking to running at a threshold velocity, one transitions from nose-breathing to mouth-breathing at a certain threshold of oxygen consumption. For running, it seems that one would consider exclusively nose-breathing only if you're asthmatic or running slower paces (i.e., jogging).

Even if I wanted to exclusively nose breathe I wouldn't be able to. I couldn't do it at 12 minute miles and I can't do it now at 8:40's. Lee, as always, your analogy is spot on. Unless I underwent an elective sinus operation ($$$$$$$$$$$ out of this guy's pocket) I would have the same issues. I will add that a lot of times I am bringing in air through both nose and mouth at the same time, and have moments of nose breathing at my normal pace, but those moments typically start a flood of ick down the back of my throat and a snot rocket 4th of july.

Bare Lee and Lomad, I am in total agreement. I can breath through my resting and walking...that is a completely different matter. But under strenuous exercise (i.e. running) that is not going to happen for long periods of time...ever! I have such restricted airflow that there is no way my body will get enough oxygen through my nose to support running. I have taken sinus and allergy medications. The only ones that seem to work someone is Allegra at reducing the severity of my sinusitis attacks and Nasonex which helps decrease sinus blockage and allow for more airflow. However. I cannot use Nasonex regularly as it starts to cause problems with my throat. So it is used infrequently...which is fine by me. I can run just fine breathing through my mouth and like Lomad, I'm not going to have elective surgery because not only does it cost a shitload of money, but I have had two friends that had it done and have said that they have a whole different set of problems now.

Reactions: Lomad
Interesting links, Sid. Now when I go run today, I will probably be consciously checking on my breathing. I will have a 1.5 mile warm up, magic mile, 1 mile cool down and then a 3 mile jaunt back at a medium pace. That will give me a lot of time to see how I do. I know that usually when I am running slowly, I tend to breath through my nose a bit more, but physical activity usually activates my sinuses and soon I cannot do so. I had to start carrying paper towels on runs so that I could blow my nose on runs because even breathing through your mouth, some air enters/exit through the nose and I could feel the restrictive airflow as my sinuses began acting up. I do have to say that it has been better for me being out of the desert for a while now.

my nose runs like a faucet, especially running in winter. i carry my "old man hankerchief" when i run as jen so lovingly calls it. i never said it was easy and i never said it was exclusive. it took a lot of work. just like bfr.

Reactions: devilnuts
I refuse to carry an old man hanky. :p My 86 year old grandfather has carried one for as long as I can remember. haha

Paper towels???? Grampa hankies?!!!?

Boys, boys...Snot rocket. The tail of your t-shirt manages the rest. Shirtless? wipe and swipe (wipe with a hand, swipe on the shorts).

Reactions: Bare Lee
it's better than a snotted up shirt cuz leaky faucets don't build enough pressure for rockets. ;)

I think I am going to barf up my dinner now. I hate to admit it, but I did my first "snot rocket" this year -while running. I guess that makes me a REAL man now???

Reactions: Bare Lee and Lomad
i too grew up with asthma and still suffer from allergies. yesterday i woke up and couldn't breathe. i used a netti pot and a few minutes later was breathing fine.
I started using one regularly after watching an episode of Six Feet Under a few years ago. My environmental allergies are a lot better. I started using distilled water after watching an episode of House.

Reactions: scedastic
Interesting...running at different paces and different intensities I noticed that the amount I have my mouth opens varies a little as does my tongue placement to either force me to draw a little more or a little less air through my nose. I'd say at a normal pace I was drawing about 20-25% of my air intake through my nose. Running my MM, I was drawing only about 10% through my nose. Sitting here typing...100% through my nose...haha.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
For me, EXHALING exercises are key to being able to breathe well during my run. Before I start running I take several long, slow, deep breaths and then I exhale as if someone just punched me in the stomach and I hold these exhales for a super long time. These exercises make a GIGANTIC difference as to whether I feel like I am getting enough oxygen for the level I am exerting myself, or not.

I have observed that my breathing rate tends to be an in/out cycle of 2.5 full seconds, at moderate exertion levels. This is very useful information and tells me whether I need to do more of those breathing exercises, or not. Usually, I only do them at the beginning of my runs, but sometimes I will do them along the way, as well.

Unfortunately, on days I am too tired, I am not able to get enough oxygen for much of anything because my body is just not able to give the amount of energy necessary enable my body to breathe sufficiently. In fact, I have aborted races due to being too tired and not able to breathe well enough.

Reactions: devilnuts
I do that sometimes while running as well, Jen. Usually just an extra long breath or two and hold it for an extra step or two, but it seems to make a lot of difference. I think I tend to do it when I have slowed my pace a little, but my breathing is still going really fast. It feels like I'm not getting enough air so that forces me to slow it down for a second and take longer inhales. I call it my breathing reset...like a yawn for running. haha.

my 2c - actively training the gut/diaphragm to take over the job if aerating the body can make a tremendous difference, whether the air is entering/exiting through the nose or mouth or a combination of both. And you can practice 24/7 ;)

Something I enjoy is letting out a barbaric yawp after storming up a hill - I punch the air and shout at the top of my lungs "OOOOWWWRRRRAAAAHHHHH!!!!" as loud and long as possible, and as often as I need till I calm down ... then just jog along at my easy pace. My dog loves it, lol :)

Perhaps those who insist on maintaining an exact 180 cadence can worry themselves with finding an exact nose-breathing to mouth-breathing ratio too, based on a similar misapplication of observations of elite running.

But why wait for the inappropriate application of pseudo empiricism? I vote right now for a 90/10 nose-to-mouth ratio, and will throw in a ratio of 3 steps inhale to 2 steps exhale to boot, as the new ersatz standards. Now we just need a guru to endorse it.

But why wait for the inappropriate application of pseudo empiricism?
I agree with Bare Lee. Although all the data/opinions can be overwhelming, it's best to pick something. Not breathing at all could be detrimental to one's health.

Clearly, the data speaks for itself! (maybe, perhaps, perhaps not...)

Comparison of maximal oxygen consumption with oral and nasal breathing
"The percentage decrease in maximal ventilation with nose-only breathing compare to mouth and mouth plus nose breathing was three times the percentage decrease in maximal oxygen consumption.

The pattern of nose-only breathing at maximal work showed a small reduction in tidal volume and large reduction in breathing frequency.

Nasal breathing resulted in a reduction in FEO2 and an increase in FECO2.

While breathing through the nose-only, all subjects could attain a work intensity great enough to produce an aerobic training effect (based on heart rate and percentage of VO2 max)."

Not that I have a whole lot to contribute to this thread, but I thought this might be interesting:

After having participated in lots of beginner yoga classes, I had a sense that I was ready for something a bit more challenging. I approached a well-respected yogi and asked her when a person knew it was time to kick it up a notch, so to speak, since I didn't want to let my enthusiasm overwhelm my good sense. I was expecting her to say something like, "When you can perform a double back twist while standing on your head," or something such. But instead, she said, "When you are in control of your breathing." That smacked me right in the middle of my third eye. That comment made me far more conscious of the quality of my breathing during both my yoga practice and my running or cross-training practice. I haven't gotten the full-nasal breathing in my running yet (too many other form things to focus on at this stage), but that's my goal.

However, there are times when mouth-breathing is appropriate and useful. During hot weather, certain mouth-breathing techniques can be used to help cool the body. So, IMHO, there's a place for both types of breathing. The key is to breathe mindfully, consciously, and deliberately, however it's done.

Reactions: migangelo