Breathing problem solved!

nature runner

Barefooters
Jun 13, 2010
I tried bicycle riding before my run, and still got out of breath after 1.5 miles of my run. I can't breath? I went to the doctor explained my situation. She did some tests and suggested a few things, and told me I have RAD Reactive airway disease. She said my lungs aren't expanding when I exercise. No matter how hard I tried to keep breathing, my lungs just shut me down, my legs wanted to go, but my lungs shut me down hard! She tested me for cardiac problems and found none ( runs on both sides of family, both parents deceased from it ). I have since felt like a new man. I haven't breathed this good since I went to the beach and was in the salt water. Now, I can finally move forward and get started on focusing on my 1st 5k barefoot! The breathing bad was scaring me to death and wearing me out fast! It felt like a heart attack after a run. Going to the doctor was a smart thing for me, just wanted to share my thoughts, maybe it will help someone else figure out there problem?

Didn't you post about this

Didn't you post about this before, but you were still wondering at the time what the problem was? It's good you were finally diagnosed. That sounds like it could be fatal to you too. Will you be carrying your inhaler when you exercise from now on then? I hope!

so is the inhaler filled

so is the inhaler filled with a steroid that helps your lungs to expand?

It does help my lungs expand,

It does help my lungs expand, I am glad I went to the doctor. It could have caused a heart attack. It's opens up my airways, while I was exercising it was closing them up and shutting them down. I am lucky that it didn't do any harm to my body. I can't believe the difference it made. I have to carry it with me at all times. I had no idea. 4 yrs ago I had no problem but when i quit and started back up 8 months ago, it's been bad. I am glad it's taken care of now!

Barefoot TJ wrote:Didn't you

Barefoot TJ said:
Didn't you post about this before, but you were still wondering at the time what the problem was? It's good you were finally diagnosed. That sounds like it could be fatal to you too. Will you be carrying your inhaler when you exercise from now on then? I hope!

I did post about this before TJ. just thought i was out of shape. When I was a shod runner 4 yrs prior to starting back up barefoot. I was running 8 to 15 miles a day 4 days a week. Now, I thought i was just out of shape?

Yes, that's what I thought I

Yes, that's what I thought I remembered. So it turns out you really have a problem. Did they say this is genetic, since others in your family died from it? Do you know what triggered it, and why now?

Barefoot TJ wrote:Yes,

Barefoot TJ said:
Yes, that's what I thought I remembered. So it turns out you really have a problem. Did they say this is genetic, since others in your family died from it? Do you know what triggered it, and why now?

The cardiac problem my parents had was heart disease and diabetes. mine is just strictly breathing problems for now. They did an EKG and it showed up nothing so they said it was definetly a lung issue since nothing showed up on heart test. Yesterday scared me, I was gasping for air and my chest was pounding and my arms went numb. So I figured it was time to get checked out. Nobody in the family ever had asthma? I am feeling better now. I am going to try and see how good it works for me tomorrow on a longer run ;)

Just DON'T forget your

Just DON'T forget your inhaler. Can you run with a buddy? Can you run in public? Now I sound like your mother. Sorry.

Mr Deplume has allergies

Mr :davie: Deplume has allergies that attack him in the spring. Using his (plain old albuterol) inhaler before springtime runs have made a world of difference to him.

Glad you figured out what's wrong. Not being able to breathe is a scary thing indeed.

Update today:   I went to

Update today:

I went to high school track and ran 2 miles bf. It was the first time since I have gotten back into running that I breathed good and wasn't gasping for air like a fish out of water. It was actually very enjoyable. I hope this trend continues, the inhaler sorta makes me feel funny though, light headed and nausea feeling. It goes away about an hour after a run? The surface on the track was weird, it looked like asphalt but was kinda squishy, makes it hard to judge your form like real pavement.

Yeah, but that sucks about

Yeah, but that sucks about the lightheadedness and nausea. Can you tell the doctor that you are having those side effects and see if there is some other type of inhaler you can use? Are those side effects common? Are there alternatives?

Excellent!

Excellent!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test