Breathe Slower Yet Run Faster? really...

Some good points have been brought up.

Sometimes the purpose of a promotional post is very clear:
- A footwear company offers a giveaway to gain product exposure.
- Doctors provide information on their practice or services, and answer a few questions for free.

Sometimes it's not entirely clear, as possibly might be the case with this thread.
- Is the post strictly for informational purposes? If so, should there be a statement in the beginning stating so?
- Is the post intended to provide exposure for a member of the barefoot community? Maybe some clarification would be helpful?

BRS is always in need of support to keep the site running. This brings up further questions. Should BRS be providing any free advertising at all?
- Perhaps, the product/service provider should offer a giveaway or a discount or a service to BRS members?
- Maybe, a portion of the proceeds will be donated to BRS?
- Or, they should pay an advertising fee?

Edit: The other concern is that without clarification, newcomers may not know what threads are provided for informational purposes, vs. promotional or advertisement, vs. officially endorsed by BRS

well, it's basically TJ's site and she can do what she wants.
I can't speak for TJ, but it's not clear to me that this is how she perceives her role for this website. I have the impression that she recognizes that there a multiple stakeholders involved in BRS, and is very respectful of them.

Thanks TJ for all that you do! :D

I'm sure TJ will answer for herself when she gets chance, but from my perspective, I post things that I find interesting, or think that others might find interesting.

We do this to keep the group lively and active. It does not mean that I or the BRS agree with or endorse everything that we post.

It is for the reader to decide if it is of interest to them, including whether they think it is worth spending money on when the post relates to a product or service - which will hopefully include considering the excellent feedback that you guys always provide ;)

We do not censor any comments on posts (as long as they are intelligently considered and properly phrased without personal attack or vulgarity) and all members are free to state their opinions on what is posted

Reactions: Hobbit and Sid
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2971640/

science beyotches.

like all science it of course says more needs to be done. this is what i'm learning in my Rehabilitation 2 Performance (R2P) seminars. i'm learning from Craig Liebenson who owns LA Sport and Spine where he works with elite athletes teaching them how to breathe properly and keep the core active. a weak core leads to weak performance. "core stability before distal mobility" is the mantra. this was started by the great professor Vladimir Janda and Dr Karel Lewit from the Prague School of athletic development.

think of your rib cage and lungs of being like a cone. the diaphragm is a muscle that pulls down on your rib cage and lungs from the large end of the cone. expanding the rib cage to a great degree and pulling down the lungs so they can take in more air. the accessory muscles attached to the top of the rib cage lift up to help expand the ribs more. just look and think about that. the top opens like venetian blinds or a water pump handle. the bottom expands like bucket handle. there's a greater arc.

i was about to post my notes from patient diagnosis. it talked about how you nose breathe and use your diaphragm then when you exercise use your mouth and accessory muscles. doh! got me to thinking. there's a lot of contradictory information out there. i'm sure you all have read all those wonderful studies on how heel striking is best and normal for runners. how it's more efficient than bf or forefoot landing. old ideas die hard. i now see why someone would think that is the way to do it but new research and methods of training are proving it wrong.

keeping your core engaged and breathing with your diaphragm while exercising is not only possible but optimal and desirable for your best performance. it acts like a balloon adding stability to an otherwise open cavity. engage it and your muscles to have more power through your legs. this is taught in Tai Chi and Okinawan karate. Liebenson highly recommends these.

i wanted to add he taught core breathing to this guy http://breakingmuscle.com/coaches/chris-duffin. Chris Duffin. he's going to teach power lifting and i think i'm going. should be worth $100. anyway Liebenson worked with him and he broke the squat record. i'm barely taller than this guy and he weighs close to 300lbs. his core is still weak but he's learning and applying the principles. he's also teaching in his gym and everyone is getting stronger. it was crazy to see how such a muscular guy had an extremely weak core. you can get results fast with the exercises taught if applied correctly everyday.

Reactions: Sid
I first read about nose breathing in Scott Jurek's book "Eat and Run". He wrote that he trained with it and uses it. He got it from John Douillard who wrote a very good explanation of how it works in his book "Body, Mind, and Sport", which you can get fairly inexpensively used. I've been doing it and like it, although I'm just a beginning runner. Years ago, when I used to cycle, nose breathing helped keep the insect protein count down too...

I think John Douillard's book would be a much better investment that a $300.00 video class. He explains it very well. I would also love to have a discussion with other people who are using nose breathing.

All the best,
Scott

Reactions: DNEchris