Breakthrough

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Neil_D, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Neil_D

Neil_D Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi All,
    I think I can say that my knee issue has been put to rest now. While the description of the foward lean may be more of a idea in the mind that something that can be done practically, I can tell that I have managed to get my form back to how it was a few years after taking up barefoot running.
    I had a great run today along my local beach, the tide was out and there was a wide area of flat sand as wide as an airstrip. I did some walk, jog, sprinting and it felt great. I finished it off with a sprint up the zig zag which is always a challenge. See the link below for some photos of my local beach.
    https://www.foodwithaview.com.au/walking-ramp-seacliff-zig-zag/

Regards

Neil

Larry likes this.
  2. Neil_D

1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Gee, I must be the longest broken record ever with my knee, but here I go again. I have more learning to provide.
    I have had quite a few false starts over the last few years and each physio I have visited have not addressed the underlying cause.

In the end it was Dr Google that helped.
    Here goes.
    What I now believe is this. I spent much of my day in a sedentary job, sat in front of a computer for 8 hours designing PCBs then another 2 hours driving to and from work.
    This lead to my hamstrings being weak and tight and Dr Google informed me that the hamstring is a key in knee stabilisation, this was a surprise to me as I thought being at the back of the leg I couldn't see the connection to my knee pain.

I quit my job at the beginning of July so I could concentrate on getting my fitness back and enjoying my life a bit more. When you get to a certain age you have to decide what is more important to you, more money or the time to enjoy your freedom.
    Over the last 2 weeks I have been doing various hamstring strength exercises along with stretching.
    I've been doing bench lifts for the hamstrings, ball rolling, bridges, curls.
    It seems to be doing the job.
    I am hoping that this is not just another false trail.
    What I am surprised at is the lack of information from the physios to check muscle strength and connect the issue to the knee.

Anyway, if you are out there suffering from runners knee, maybe think about your glutes, hamstrings and flexibility.

Regards

Neil

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  3. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

It's extremely disappointing that people who should know, such as physios, don't know or are incompetent in what they do. Sorry you had to go through Dr. Google to figure this out. Be sure to share what you've learned with all those medical professionals who let you down, so they can save someone else from suffering like you have.

Good luck, Neil!

4. Neil_D

1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hello TJ,
    I will certainly do that.
    I think a lot of what the physios do is just guesswork, they don't seem to have a diagnostic sheet that has a symptom and a list of probable causes that they can work through and test.
    As an engineer that is the way I was always taught to do things.

It wasn't so much suffering as much as it took the joy of running away. I would longingly look at people running so easily and want to get up there and do the same.

I went for a run today (it's still winter here) it was cold with a strong northerly blowing, I did a short distance and the initial pain was still there but it soon started to fade. I think that was due to the hamstrings still being a little sore from all the extra attention they are getting. They are probably thinking (if they could) hey what's going on, we were quite happy to be be ignored around the back and now you are thrashing us for no reason!
    There was noticeable improvements walking uphill.

Regards

Neil

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  5. Janne

Janne Barefooters

Glad you found something that works. I've also gone through my on share of professionals without luck. I also sit for long and got the same advice. What I've discovered is that I have an imbalance in or around my hips and my chain is not working as it should. Barefoot helps but I still need to pay attention and not go back into bad habits. It is a long road to recovery but completely worth for me.

Best of luck!

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  6. Neil_D

1. Australia
    2. Presidents

I have additional information to add to the above.
    I think my problem area is in fact the glutes.
    From what I can gather, if there is weakness there then the whole chain down to the feet can start to throw up different injuries.
    I was always amazed at some of the weights the women at the gym lift in deadlift and squats, I couldn't match them which is a big red flag that I have an area of weakness that needs fixing.

When my former company moved further away from my home location I would spend up to 10 hours a day sat down.
    I think my butt had died from lack of use!!

The knee would hurt when I would stand on one leg and bend at the knee. The reason for the pain was the glute was not holding the hip in a horizontal position and the knee was collapsing to one side and irritating the patella.
    That is my area of work now. I will start light and slowly build the muscles back up.
    I hope by spring time (Australia) I will be back running with much better form and get my distance back again.

Regards

Neil

Barefoot TJ likes this.