Breakthrough

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Neil_D, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Neil_D

Neil_D Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi All,
    Over the last few years my running has not been the best due to a persistent knee issue that I could not seem to fix. I saw physiotherapists who bound my feet, wanted me to wear orthotics, jabbed me with needles all to no avail.
    I saw a muscular skeletal therapist who helped but the fix only lasted a short while before the pain in the knee returned.
    Even with the knee pain I would still go out a few times a week to run and sometimes it was so difficult I would have to stop and walk back. Maybe it was time to stop (I can't say hang up my shoes) but I couldn't as I've been running since I was 14 years old, it's been my life.
    I have even been running in a few relay races recently as a stand in for Western Athletics club, I have not been happy with my performance though. It is hard trying to race with a jabbing pain in the knee.

The good news is, finally after 3 years I believe I have worked out what it was and have fixed it.
    It was so simple and staring me in the face. The exercises I did at the gym were not the ones that targeted the problem muscle. I did squats, lunges, leg presses, leg extensions, non of these made any difference. Then I found the one that did.
    It was the abductor exercises, the muscles that attached to the outer hip and form the glutes. I did the clamshell exercise, side leg lifts, abductor machine at the gym and found that when I went out for a run the pain had gone.
    It can't be that simple I though, maybe just a lucky run. I carried on with the exercises and went on another run and again, no problem. So,it looks like all along it was that, a referred problem from weakness in the hip area.
    So, if any others out there are having knee issues, first focus on the hip area muscles. Outer hip first.
    As I have a sit down job all day and I have a 2 hour commute each day I spend around 10 hour in a stationary sitting position, the scourge of the western world, responsible for billions of dollars worth of back problems.
    The joy of being able to run again without a knee pain is amazing. I am just disappointed that the physiotherapists didn't first give me the information that I should do these exercises rather that first try to sell me band aids.

Good to be back again.

Regards

Neil

Barefoot TJ, Tedlet and Larry like this.
  2. Larry

Larry Barefooters
    1. Australia

Nice one Neil, hope it gives you a long term fix!

3. Tedlet

Tedlet Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Sounds like good news Neil..
    Always amazes me that when you experience pain it can sometimes be an indicator of a problem in a completely different area of the body.. Complicated things bodies..;)

Larry likes this.
  4. Neil_D

Neil_D Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Thanks Larry & Tedlet
    Yes the problem with these kind of injuries is that balance that the body needs to be able to do something efficiently.
    I had been doing exercises to strengthen the inner quads with the idea that the outer quads were too strong and pulling the kneecap in a wrong direction, I was wrong.
    The glutes,outer hip, I think stops the knee from collapsing inwards when running (A doc would be able to confirm that).
    Even up to a few weeks ago I was working on the inner hip muscles and stretching and that was not making much difference. I did notice I found the abductor machine in the gym hard to use, I couldn't move much weight, a sign that they were weak. I started working on them so I could get up to the same weight than I could do in the opposite direction.
    So, after just over 2 weeks of using this machine and floor exercises the answer to the problem became apparent.
    Fingers crossed that I can now get my fitness and distance up again after a long period of intermittent running.
    Cheers

Neil

5. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Incredible! I know you have talked about your pain here before. I am so excited for you! What a gift to be able to run again pain free. Enjoy life, Neil!

6. flammee

flammee Barefooters

Outer hip, that's gluteus medius. I had some groin pain issues and gluteus medius training was recommended. Here's easy way to activate GM without equipment and getting on the ground..

Barefoot TJ likes this.