Boycotting businesses based on values?

ajb422 wrote:...and why

ajb422 said:
...and why boycott drivethroughs other than perhaps because people suck at driving and eating at the same time?

Have you ever seen a place with a drive through window that sells any real food? By avoiding anywhere with a drive through window, you have a lot better chance of getting real food. (I think I read this in Michal Pollans book Food Rules)

janson wrote:ajb422

janson said:
ajb422 said:
...and why boycott drivethroughs other than perhaps because people suck at driving and eating at the same time?

Have you ever seen a place with a drive through window that sells any real food? By avoiding anywhere with a drive through window, you have a lot better chance of getting real food. (I think I read this in Michal Pollans book Food Rules)

I love this idea. I'm over 2 years with no fast food. However, there is a small, family owned BBQ place near my house that has a drive through window for takeout. They are the real deal and their brisket is amazing, so the blanket rule won't work for me. Real food FTW!

Yeah I was about to say,

Yeah I was about to say, Corky's world-famous BBQ in Memphis has a drive-thru window at the original location. That's just about the best restaurant BBQ you can get right there.

I would rarely boycott large

I would rarely boycott large stores (who seem to be the evilest) because the "corporate culture" can change dramatically from the CEO of the entire company down to the individual store managers. After 150ish people you lose control over corporate culture, anyway. I prefer to focus my time and energy toward giving kudos to the companies whose corporate values I DO agree with. I like to give good reviews and recommendations both online and in person, and share their product and service information on social media sites, and encourage my family and friends to shop there. And even if I find a company, whose values I like, that I can't afford to shop at regularly, I still spend time getting the word out about how good they are, so that the people who are able to afford it, can shop there.

ah ok, that makes sense with

ah ok, that makes sense with the drive-thrus then. I thought you just had something against drive thrus. You are really just boycotting bad food. I could get behind that if I cared about such things more.

About the drive-thru liquor

About the drive-thru liquor stores... What a stupid idea. I lived in Kentucky for four years, and they had drive-thru liquor stores all over the place. If that doesn't tell people it's okay to drive while drinking...

All drive-thrus should be

All drive-thrus should be banned. Fast food free for 7 years.

I prefer to park and walk into the store, bank, etc.

As for liquor store drive-thrus, who would deny themselves the enjoyment of browsing a beer cooler and selecting a nice pale ale or IPA on sale? It's the only shopping I like to do.

Back to the main subject, by all means, boycott the business. One person can make a difference, especially through social media.

The one that makes me the most mad right now is McDonald's donating a portion from all the happy meals sold. Their little donation isn't going to come close to the damage that they are causing.

We still have to shop at Walmart because of economics, but we do try to support local businesses as much as possible.

rickwhitelaw wrote:We still

rickwhitelaw said:
We still have to shop at Walmart because of economics, but we do try to support local businesses as much as possible.

Our nearest Walmart is like 40+ miles aways so I never shop there. I don't like shopping there anyways and my wife and I have begun trying to shop at the little ma and pop stores to support the local community despite it often being a little more expensive.

As far as drive thru's go, back when I was a smoker (been quit 2 1/2 years now) and living back home in Montana I used to go to a drive thru tobacco store. When I was just back home at Christmas I saw it was still there and open. I can't believe it's still open.

While I do still eat fast

While I do still eat fast food from time to time, I almost NEVER use the drive through. For one thing it wastes a lot of fuel in the car. It's also easier and safer to use my debit card if I go inside (NEVER let your debit card out of your sight), and it's easier to deal with cash money and change from my pockets if I'm standing up at the counter rather than sitting in the car.

See, I'm mixed on this when

See, I'm mixed on this when it comes to Chic-Fil-A... I LOVE their food, but hate that their closed on Sundays. I understand why, and I can respect it, but it still pisses me off!

Man, I just has a free

Man, I just has a free Whopper that I stuffed with fries and then coated with honey...... Totally amazing! I also had a bag of steamed broccoli and 3 sausage links. Oh, and a kit kat bar..... And some chips and hot sauce. Man, I'm a glutton....

Damn you all talking about

Damn you all talking about food. Now I HAVE to eat a cookie!
tongue.png

ajb422 wrote:ah ok, that

ajb422 said:
ah ok, that makes sense with the drive-thrus then. I thought you just had something against drive thrus. You are really just boycotting bad food. I could get behind that if I cared about such things more.

Not me. Some banks have drive-thru's, too, and their money is no less healthy than anyone else's. You can leave you car in the parking lot and go eat the crappy food or cash your paycheck inside. I boycott the lazy, uncaring, selfish mentality that drive-thru's encourage.

We have exactly one fastfood joint in my otherwise beautiful little Bavarian town: McD's. And 95% of the garbage I see on the side of the roads (and there isn't much, so every little bit really stands out) is from them. I can see the brown bags from 100 meters away and I shudder every time. I know it's being tossed there by young people who think it's cool to not care and over time, that attitude will only spread.

If it were up to me, I'd build towns and cities with a central parking area a few Kms away, and provide walking paths to the stores/restaurants. Also, I'd prohibit non-handicaped ppl from using escalators, and a few other totalitarian things I can think of ;)

Oh, another company I avoid whenever possible is Nestlé. For the reasons, just google something like 'Nestle sucks', should clear a few things up.

PatrickGSR94 wrote:LOL

PatrickGSR94 said:
LOL Monster Cable - most overpriced crap in the electronics market today.

Yeah, I couldn't afford their POS products even if I wanted to, but that's not why I consciously avoid them and diss them online when I get a chance. It's their aggressive trademark litigation policies that get me upset (same thing for Jack Wolfskin, btw). They act like they invented the word 'Monster' and sick their putrid lawyers on anyone that uses that word in the name of their organisation - not just businesses but also non-profits and virtually anyone using 'monster' in their name. Organise a halloween race and call it the 'Monster Run' and see how long it takes for them to contact you, and to send to a bill.

Jack Wolfskin will go after you if you have a logo that even comes close to resembling a paw print.

I hate that stuff grrrrrrrrrr :angry:

Oh, while I'm here, another company, lol: Apple yes, that Apple. Not because of their products, which are great, but due to their business models which to me feel more and more like assimilation than capitalism. My distaste for Apple started long long ago when I couldn't stop Quicktime (which sucks to begin with) from installing itself into my start-up/run folders everytime it got used. grrrrrrrr.

OMG  YOU ate

OMG YOU ate this!!!!!

[qoute] Whopper that I stuffed with fries and then coated with honey......and 3 sausage links. Oh, and a kit kat bar..... And some chips and hot sauce. Man, I'm a glutton....[/quote]

OMG I can hear you body screaming through the internet! Barf a roonie! LOL

OMG, Phil!  That is the

OMG, Phil! That is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time. I kept laughing so hard, my face is all wet from crying. sigh. It's so good I have to make it more easily accessible, so here you all go:

(BTW, Chick-fil-A was founded just a few short miles from my home here in Georgia. They are a big supporter of the running club I am in and sponsor our main event which draws about 3,000 runners each year. The son of Truett runs the race himself every year. So don't say nothin' bad about Chick-fil-A. Just teasing. Say what you will.)

About the trash everywhere,

About the trash everywhere, that's not Mickey D's fault. It's nasty, lazy humans who are to blame. How many times do we, in the US, see a plastic Walmart bag clung to the trees or flying past you as you drive down the freeway? Seriously, people! Pick up your freakin' trash!

I think one of my biggest

I think one of my biggest problems with Chick-fil-a is that they spend their charity money lobbying against the right of other people to do something in the name of a religion which I share, but disagree on how the founder of that religion would spend their resources. I feel like what they are doing is not only a bad allocation of resources if you are going to be "charitable" but turns people away from the religion I love.

Our decision was to not eat there again. It just does not work with my faith.