Boycotting businesses based on values?

NotSoDoomedRunner

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
So a couple of businesses that I really like to frequent I like have recently been reported to donate to charities and pay lobbyists to advocate towards something I completely disagree with.

I'm sure others have been in this situation. What do you do? If I boycott it is not enough to make a difference... but if I don't am I contibuting?

Their against gay rights...

Their against gay rights...

Individually you may not make

Individually you may not make much of a difference, but if you don't, who will? If your integrity and conscience are OK with buying from them, then go ahead. If you can't sleep because you're supporting something you feel is morally wrong, don't do it. Davy Crockett had it right back in 1800 or so - "Make sure you're right, then go ahead."

I don't support businesses

I don't support businesses that support things I don't unless I don't have much of a choice. Somethings are just needed and unfortunately sometimes those are only supplied by these "evil" companies. Dang, I just realized living in Oregon is turning me into a hippy!

I feel your pain.  I don't

I feel your pain. I don't agree with all of Wal-Mart's business practices, but unfortunately our budget necessitates that we shop there. I would love to get our groceries at local establishments, or even a chain like Kroger, but we simply can't afford it.

There's always a give and

There's always a give and take. Maybe the business is supporting something you don't believe in but the business is also providing jobs for local people and paying local taxes, just assume your money is going to these portions of the business.

I just find an alternative

I just find an alternative place to shop / product to buy or even a substitute method for achieving my original goal

In the case of the Target boycott, I was torn but, eventually, my product preference changed on its own and now, I just don't need what had previously been a perceived necessity.

Nyah wrote:I just find an

Nyah said:
I just find an alternative place to shop / product to buy or even a substitute method for achieving my original goal

In the case of the Target boycott, I was torn but, eventually, my product preference changed on its own and now, I just don't need what had previously been a perceived necessity.

I think this is the way we are going to go on one of them. I purposely did not say the cause because I think it could apply to many things.

Phil Hart wrote:Individually

Phil Hart said:
Individually you may not make much of a difference, but if you don't, who will? If your integrity and conscience are OK with buying from them, then go ahead. If you can't sleep because you're supporting something you feel is morally wrong, don't do it. Davy Crockett had it right back in 1800 or so - "Make sure you're right, then go ahead."

Im of the same mind as Phil. Even if it doesnt actually make a difference, you can sleep easier at night.

I agree with Phil too. We try

I agree with Phil too. We try hard not to shop at Wal-Mart although it is quite difficult in a town as small as ours.

I buy as much as I can local

I buy as much as I can local (groceries) and mostly stay out of the big box stores. Even at the better ones almost everything is made in China. If I can't afford local I buy off the internet and try to research the company before purchasing. Another way to make good choices is to pay attention to where your retirement savings go. If you have to put money in the stock market learn about options for companies you can support.

I boycott Jack Wolfskin,

I boycott Jack Wolfskin, Monster Cable and any establishment that has a drive-thru. I also stay away from Asics, but I bought a pair of shorts from them that were in the bargain bin - and I have to say, they're pretty crappy.

BFwillie_g wrote:I boycott

BFwillie_g said:
I boycott Jack Wolfskin, Monster Cable and any establishment that has a drive-thru. I also stay away from Asics, but I bought a pair of shorts from them that were in the bargain bin - and I have to say, they're pretty crappy.

LOL Monster Cable - most overpriced crap in the electronics market today.

I second the question about

I second the question about invisible shoe. They are so nice and helpful over there.

...and why boycott drivethroughs other than perhaps because people suck at driving and eating at the same time?

Surprised you two haven't

Surprised you two haven't seen me voice this before. I too believe that Invisible Shoes (IS) has fantastic customer service and are very pleasant to deal with, the part I take issue with them is their unsavory marketing tactics. A while back (not sure if they still do this as I ignore most things related to them now) they marketed their DIY kit in an ad comparing it to another brands finished sandal and completely trashed that other company (very well known company btw) and insinuated that they were way over charging people and why would they do this and on and on. This other companys DIY kit was the same price, but to make their product look better IS flat out lied to people. This is something I do not support in the least and if I don't have to purchase products from a company who's ethics and morals seem to be questionable then I won't. I believe this other company produces a higher quality huarache than IS does as well. Not to say theirs is bad, because it's a good product, just the other companies is higher quality with way more choices. And no I do not work for this other company at all or have any affiliation with them, I just really don't like liars and try to avoid them at all costs.