bottom of foot pain; minimal footwear

mlerner

Barefooters
Oct 24, 2010
I live in Manhattan, and while I have faith in the assertion of many barefoot runners that a downcast eye is all that's needed to protect my foot, I run in either aquasocks or, more lately, Pumas. As it gets colder outside, and since I live in a fairly groady neighborhood, I don't really want to run unshod, especially since I worked so hard on my running form when I was able to run barefoot over the summer.

When I wake up in the mornings and take my first steps of the day, the sole of my foot hurts. I know this is a symptom of plantar fasciitis, and I'm unsure what exactly to do. I'm not sure if I've been an idiot for walking as well as running in my minimal shoes; it seemed rational. I run only a mile and a half every three days (still in the process of "starting slow") and I have the pain every morning, although it is much worse after I run and almost disappears when I stop for a few days.

So the questions: what am I doing wrong? what can I do to fix it?

I don't hava the money for fivefingers or similar shoes right now; if you guys think shoes more minimal than Pumas would be beneficial, I'll take any suggestions that are on the cheap side.

mlerner wrote:I live in

mlerner said:
I live in Manhattan... walking as well as running in my minimal shoes... I run only a mile and a half every three days (still in the process of "starting slow") and I have the pain every morning, although it is much worse after I run and almost disappears when I stop for a few days.

I feel for you, dude. I don't have the ability to diagnose the problem but I can just wonder out loud about a few things. Like one, how much do you walk? A lot of people who live in Manhattan walk miles and miles every day, so you might be putting a lot more miles on your legs that way than you do running. Also, my spouse recently switched to VFFs for running, and she also has worn them around the neighborhood on errands, etc. She doesn't have any aches or pains when she runs but if she wears them for miles of walking she has felt some discomfort. So it could be that your body needs to become adjusted to both activities? Anyway, just a guess. Take it easy on yourself. Maybe some professional advice would be warranted? But I'm sure a lot of people will respond here on this thread. Cheers!

Sounds like your feet are

Sounds like your feet are tired. We use our feet a lot more than we think, especially if we make a move to minimal shoes or barefooting. Odds are a little rest will help the situation as well as some good stretching and rolling. I love rolling my foot around on a tennis ball and pressing out the soreness. Doing some of things will help a lot with the early morning pains.

I'd recommend running twice a

I'd recommend running twice a week and rolling daily.

By spring you will be ready for three or four times per week.

Is your pain affecting both

Is your pain affecting both feet? First, you need to get a definitive diagnosis for plantar fasciitis, or whatever it may be. Once you know what you are dealing with, then you can treat it properly. If it does turn out to be PF, you should wear a night splint, stretch your calves at least three times a day for at least 30 seconds. You should ice at least twice a day for as long as you can take it. (Some people say the ice shouldn't touch the skin for more than 5 minutes straight--I'm sure they mean direct ice on skin. I have sat with my feet in ice water (not direct ice on skin) for 20 minutes at a time and not developed frost bite. So just find what works for you without causing damage.) Rest and elevate as much as is possible. Take anti-inflammatories if you are able. Good luck and welcome!

It sounds like normal foot

It sounds like normal foot development to me!

I found the first few steps uncomfortable each morning for several weeks earlier this year as my feet were strengthening but I have not had the problem for many weeks now. The discomfort was gone each day before I had walked 30 feet. Try flexing your feet, before you put weight on them each morning, and I expect that things will be less uncomfortable.

Good luck!

I ran a mile last night and

I ran a mile last night and the pain was gone this morning... I've heard of this phenomenon but I'm unsure of the mechanism. Are there any Manhattan runners out there willing to meet me and give me some pointers?

If you haven't already, ML,

If you haven't already, ML, be sure to join the New York Chapter, so you can be updated on group runs/events, etc. Welcome!

I agree with Chris on this

I agree with Chris on this one. Also what does the pain feel like? Where are you feeling it? What about a good ol foot massage, does that help? Or flexing your feet, stretching them, wiggling your toes a bit to get the blood flowing beforeyou get out of bed?

I have the pain every

I have the pain every morning, although it is much worse after I run and almost disappears when I stop for a few days.

This sounds like PF.

This could be PF or something else. My understanding is that for most people, PF pain goes away as you run, so by the end of your run, the fascia has warmed up, and you are no longer feeling the pain, or no longer feeling it as badly.

This does not sound like PF.

(Yes, I have the power of color.)

mlerner wrote:I ran a mile

mlerner said:
I ran a mile last night and the pain was gone this morning... I've heard of this phenomenon but I'm unsure of the mechanism. Are there any Manhattan runners out there willing to meet me and give me some pointers?

Sure - you busy Wednesday? BarefootNYC meets up at 90th and 5th, just inside the park at 7pm. Failing that there's another group run on Saturday morning at 10 - meeting spot for that is the North side of Columbus Circle just east of CPW. You'll get more info here http://www.meetup.com/BarefootNYC/

Hope to see you at one of those runs!

Chris, we have a member

Chris, we have a member interested in taking over our New York Chapter. If she needs help, would you be interested in co-chairing this with her? Footloose is footloose and fancy-free from what I can tell. ;-)