Blood Blisters on Ankles

SMT77

Barefooters
Aug 7, 2011
Dear Docs and Barefoot Runners,

My problem isn't specifically about barefoot running, but I'm desperate for some advice and you seem like helpful people.

Over the past six months I have developed blood blisters on my ankles after running. They don't itch and aren't sore but are very unsightly. They appear on my ankles only, above my sock line and below the bottom of my 3/4 length tights. If I don't run for a few weeks they dry up and disappear. However in some cases they burst and then scab over.

I am a female in my mid forties and took up running three years ago. I typically run two or three times a week. I am otherwise healthy and on no medication. I've been to see my GP, but he has no idea what it could be.

I really enjoy my running and don't want to have to give it up, but I am worried that I will end up with badly scared ankles if this continues.

I'd be really grateful if you could offer any advice.

Thank you

You're saying that your

You're saying that your footwear, socks, and clothing is not causing this, not rubbing on you? Could you be allergic to anything? Could it be shingles?

Thanks for your input TJ. It

Thanks for your input TJ. It only occurs on exposed skin, so it's not clothes rubbing. I don't think it is any sort of allergy for the same reason and because it goes away when I don't run for a while.
At your suggestion I've looked at symptoms of shingles, but that doesn't describe the symptoms I have.
Thanks for your suggestions, but the search goes on.

I'll let the docs know that

I'll let the docs know that you have a pending question. They will be by shortly.

SMT77, Really tough here

SMT77,

Really tough here without seeing a picture. do you rub your other foot across your ankle in the swing phase of your gait? That is the only thing that comes to mind to produce a blister.

Dr. Mark

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7