Blisters on heals / Burning affect

ADeel

Barefooters
Jun 10, 2020
Muscat, OMAN
Hi Folks. Yesterday I ran downhill on road for a 30 minutes run with full pace wearing my Vibram 5 fingers. This was my first attempt for a downhill full pace run. After 2.5 kms (around 15 minutes) I felt SEVERE sensation below my heals area like some rock or needle type thing entered inside my skin, I stopped to see any pebble but nothing was there. I continued the run but it was too painful for next 15 minutes as every strike was felt like some needle went inside.

After the 30 minutes run when I took my shoes off, I saw blister type thing. Its been more than 12 hours now and I cant put my heals on floor and currently walking mostly on my toes as it hurts a lot ...

Any home remedy to heal this thing ? or any particular cream to put on it so I can atleast start to walk ?

Any recommendation for the future to avoid this?

Thanks in advance.

Could your shoes have seems or tears in them inside that would cause blistering?

Where exactly is the blistering. Post a picture.

Running in footwear makes us feel like we can run in leaps and bounds, literally striking the ground. Footwear deafens the signals we are getting from our bodies...then it's too late. Running barefoot mostly prevents this if we pay attention to how we are running.

You can either continue to run in the fashion you are currently running allowing the blistering to thicken over time into calluses and "protect" your skin, or you can shed your shoes until you are able to acquire a more gentle style of running.

Could your shoes have seems or tears in them inside that would cause blistering?

Where exactly is the blistering. Post a picture.

Running in footwear makes us feel like we can run in leaps and bounds, literally striking the ground. Footwear deafens the signals we are getting from our bodies...then it's too late. Running barefoot mostly prevents this if we pay attention to how we are running.

You can either continue to run in the fashion you are currently running allowing the blistering to thicken over time into calluses and "protect" your skin, or you can shed your shoes until you are able to acquire a more gentle style of running.

Attached are the pics. Light whitish area are the blisters. Also the edge of my heals are also paining specially when it touches the corner of bed or carpet.
The footwear is new.. less than 100 kms done. Things were going fine but the last run which was all downhill on road, I reached the pace of 3:50 minutes / km mark which is too fast for my average pace and I really felt the heal strikes due to downhill run. Normally when I am running on flat road, my midfoot usually strikes but this time it was all heal and I really felt like some needle inserted inside my heal during my whole run from 2.5 kms till 6 kms.

Attachments

• IMG_3196.JPG
    IMG_3196.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3195.JPG
    IMG_3195.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 5
Attached are the pics. Light whitish area are the blisters. Also the edge of my heals are also paining specially when it touches the corner of bed or carpet.
The footwear is new.. less than 100 kms done. Things were going fine but the last run which was all downhill on road, I reached the pace of 3:50 minutes / km mark which is too fast for my average pace and I really felt the heal strikes due to downhill run. Normally when I am running on flat road, my midfoot usually strikes but this time it was all heal and I really felt like some needle inserted inside my heal during my whole run from 2.5 kms till 6 kms.
Morning ADeel,
That looks sore....
Sounds like you need some mighty words of wisdom from trevize!!!!!
I’d say higher cadence and you need to bend your knee’s more when running down hill, I find going down hilll tough as well but I’ve never had that happen...
Hope your feeling better soon

Morning ADeel,
That looks sore....
Sounds like you need some mighty words of wisdom from trevize!!!!!
I’d say higher cadence and you need to bend your knee’s more when running down hill, I find going down hilll tough as well but I’ve never had that happen...
Hope your feeling better soon

Any particular idea how to make sure I bend knee? During running, I dont notice it and for sure when I saw my video some other day, I noticed I dont bend knee often. So how to start practicing bending knees with higher cadence?

First, I think you need to let your feet/heels heal completely before you start running again. You should ice as often as is possible (won't help the blisters but will help the bruising).

From what you describe, it sounds like your running downhill unabated caused the blisters and sores to your feet. I'm not sure if the footwear played a factor in the injuries.

Like The Mole said, try running more gently (and slower) downhill, and concentrating on actually bending your knees will help you accomplish this.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes after you've healed.

I copied this from another thread where I was exploring downhill running. The big insight I gained is that "running" downhill and "running downhill" are different activities and require different form. At a certain pitch, you need to brake. You can do so by slamming your heels down, as it sounds like you were doing, or you can "run" with "poor form". By that I mean you do the exact things you avoid doing on flat ground because they produce braking forces.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I blew off my original plan this morning and tracked down a moderately pitched trail. Moderate enough that I could run the whole uphill at MAF, with some rollers, steeper sections, and flats. About a 1200 foot gain in about 4.5 miles. Easy footing, it looked barefootable, but I wore my Vapor Gloves to reduce the number of variables. Anyway, I played around a lot on the downhill. Only a few short sections were steep and loose enough to make me nervous about losing control so I had a lot of freedom. Running normally down hill felt easy but caused my HR to spike immediately.

Using some of the insights from this thread, I discovered several ways to modulate the braking force without sending my HR through the roof. Pushing my upper body slightly forward and my butt back slightly, landing flat footed with weight on my whole foot, and softening my knees gave me effective braking. The imagery of picking my feet up before they touched, pulling with my hamstrings, controlling a fall, and imagining that the surface was slippery all seemed to work. Changing my posture as before and dropping my hands down by my pockets gave me more braking force with no perceptible increase in effort. And finally, reaching my hands downhill and forward as though I was skiing or mountain biking gave me the most braking. By modulating these brakes, I was easily able to keep my HR in my MAF range all the way down while maintaining decent speed and control. Instead of my quads burning, I noticed that my glutes were getting tired. Interesting. But then they got a workout going up, so I really don't know how the braking energy actually got distributed. I need to do the same run starting with the downhill to get a feel for that.

So the theory about dumping energy by running "wrong" seems to have merit. Bending at the waist, flat footing, and softening my knees all reduced the energy return from my legs. Taking my arm swing away reduced the energy return from the counter rotation of my torso. And finally, reaching downhill deepened my stance while completely killing all rotational energy return. My balance was better and I slipped less often than I did when my response to a downhill was to push my hips forward, soften my knees, and go like heck. I've got a long way to go and a lot of experimenting to do, but thanks to all of you, I feel like I'm starting off on the right foot instead of flailing around. Thanks, everyone.

If you're going to give this a try, I should point out that the bend from the waist was very subtle until I reached down and forward. Subtle enough that I couldn't perceive my butt going back, although it had to have done since I remained on balance. It's amazing how much difference a tiny change can make.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts