Big toe pain

4xharley

Barefooters
Feb 6, 2012
Athol, MA
I have had some very minor pain on the top of the distal end of my 1st metatarsal for over a year now. I believe it started when I tried to kick a ball for the dog and shot low, catching my toe on the lawn. After I looked around to see if anyone saw, I checked the damage. My toe hurt to bend down but there were no bruises or swelling.
After a few days I started running again and had no pain. The only time the toe hurt was when it gets bent downward. It stayed this way for about a year not getting better or worse. Recently I have been noticing a little bit of pain when walking on stairs mostly, just as my weight is coming down and the toe is supporting a lot of weight. Still no pain while running though.
I'm concerned as the running season is going to start picking up soon, and I want to be good to go.
I can't find a specific spot that the pain its coming from when I poke and prod the area, does this mean it's likely not some kind of fracture? I took about a month off from Nov-Dec for other reasons and the pain did not seem to change during that time.
Sorry for the long post, just trying to get as much info in as I can. Thanks