Beware of Footstrike Studies Focusing on Only One Variable

Beware of Footstrike Studies Focusing on Only One Variable
By Dr. Mark Cucuzzella, MD

A recent study of less than 40 East African tribesman showed that most land on their heels while running at a slow pace on a compliant surface (not pavement) and when they sped up most changed their pattern to midfoot landing. Some in the media then grabbed onto this small sample and somehow arrived at the following “conclusions”:

• Barefoot running is not a good thing…the fad is over
• This supports cushioned running shoes with elevated heels

Tribesmen.png
The study looked at the Daasanach who are a pastoral tribe living in a remote section of northern Kenya. According to the New York Times, “Unlike some Kenyan tribes, the Daasanach have no tradition of competitive distance running, although they are physically active. They also have no tradition of wearing shoes.”

Let’s see now, the African subjects were running barefoot; but people land in different ways, and as you speed up you get more forward on your foot. Not surprising as anyone who runs, coaches, researches, or even observes runners knows. There was absolutely no reference or relevance to injuries or footwear effects in this study. These happy tribesman were jogging slowly in their bare feet as they do daily, and I doubt any of them had or ever will have running injuries.

They were active tribal people (not habitual runners) running at a jogging pace. To read more, please visit: http://naturalrunningcenter.com/201...gn=beware-running-studies-footstrike-variable

Reactions: Sid
That's not how people run in my tribe.

I heard about this a few days ago. The most ridiculous part is heel-striking at slower paces. That's the last pace where anyone would naturally heel strike, unless running is an alien activity to them.

Umm, yes, it does seem a bit strange that you would heel strike at a slower pace as it is easier to get your centre of mass over your foot if you are jogging slowly.
Even if you run in standard running shoes I think it is more likely that you will heel strike at higher speed than jogging slowly, just because the shoe allows you to heel strike.
I must admit I'm getting a little tired of this chestnut being batted backward and forward, is it good is it bad. Surely the design of the foot should tell the story. After all I bet you wouldn't get many people arguing that a Giraffe is a grass eating animal, it skeleton implies it eats from food sources higher up.

Neil

Reactions: Barefoot TJ