Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
http://running.competitor.com/2010/11/features/better-feet-not-bare-feet_17954

Better Feet, Not Bare Feet
Updated: Nov 23rd 2010 12:01 PM EST by Matt Fitzgerald

chris-pipes1-214x300.jpg

Photo: Courtesy Breakthroughs

A little strengthening of your feet and lower legs will pay big dividends.

Written by: Matt Fitzgerald

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve heard about the benefits of running barefoot. Advocates of barefoot running say that running in shoes prevents all of the little muscles in the feet and ankles from functioning as they were designed to do. As result, these muscles become weakened and the runner’s stride becomes less stable and powerful. Over time, running barefoot corrects this problem.

All you have to do to demonstrate for yourself the truth of this story is run barefoot one time. The next day your feet and lower legs will be sore. That’s because you’ve forced the underutilized muscles in these areas to earn their keep for once. It’s a pretty eye-opening experience.

But barefoot running has a downside. For most runners it’s just not very comfortable when done on the surfaces we usually run on. It tends to become less uncomfortable over time, but except in rare individual cases, running barefoot on asphalt never feels as good as running in shoes on the same surface.

Wouldn’t it be nice if you could get the “gain” of running barefoot without the pain? Well, you can. There are various ways runners can strengthen their feet and lower legs so that they can use the muscles of these areas as they were designed to be used even when you wear shoes for running.

One of those ways showed up at Competitor’s office recently. Breakthroughs is one of a few businesses that create foot-strengthening tools for athletes. They are very simple and provide noticeable benefits with a small time commitment. The kit I tested out contained a small foot “ramp”, two small balance disks (one for each foot), two PVC tubes (each about 12 inches long and 5 inches in diameter), and a couple of retractable hand poles that are used to aid with balance when you’re standing on the disks or pipes. There’s also a DVD that demonstrates how to use all this stuff.

A typical exercise consists of standing (barefoot, of course) on the disks while using the hand poles to aid with balance and performing squats. The first time you try any of the exercises shown on the DVD is a humbling experience. But that just reveals how much you stand to gain by using the tools to improve your foot strength and balance. As a runner you should be strength training regularly anyway. Incorporating a few exercises with Breakthroughs equipment into your program will give you benefits you’re not currently getting from it without greatly increasing your time commitment to strength training.

Of course, strengthening your feet and ankles is not an exact substitute for barefoot running. Shoes also add weight to the foot and alter stride mechanics To minimize these effects, complement your foot strengthening exercises by running in the lightest and lowest-to-the-ground shoes that are comfortable for you.

Matt_Sexy.jpg

About the Author:
Matt Fitzgerald is a senior editor at Competitor Group, with regular contributions to RunNow.com, Triathlete, Inside Triathlon and Competitor. Matt has written 17 books, and counting, including Brain Training For Runners and Racing Weight.

Check out Matt’s latest book, RUN: The Mind-Body Method of Running by Feel.

Comments?

Comments?

TJ, when I was first

TJ, when I was first starting, I would have thought something like this was great. The main reason I bought my VFFs was because I was looking for some way to "engage" the muscles in my feet. This would have made a lot of sense to me.

One upside to this is that the stronger people's feet are "before" they take that first barefoot step will help lessen the TMTS injuries so many of us have suffered through.

So, I guess I would come down on the side of this being a "tool", and as such, there is a time and a place for it. Just not in my house. ;-)

i'm all for stuff like this. 

i'm all for stuff like this. not a big fan of gimmicky exercise things to capitalize on a new "movement" but i totally believe in the truth here. strengthening your feet before you get into barefoot running is IMO the best way to go. it helps eliminate all the injuries that are currently plagueing uneducated converts.

in terms of saying doing this stuff instead of running barefoot i say not so much but he doesnt say that. he says get in low and light shoes which is great advice. i also agree that running in shoes does sometimes feel nicer than running on rough surfaces as well as letting me run faster because i dont have to worry about the terrain as much.

.........or you could just

.........or you could just not give anyone your money, take your shoes off, and walk around.

I suppose this would probably help with TMTS, especially for minimal runners. Definitely one of those "you need this before you let your feet just do what they were designed for!" things though, mostly gonna be purchased by brand new people. I can see how it might be useful, but honestly I'd rather just go for a hike.

Ditto Danjo.  I'm stuff

Ditto Danjo. I'm stuff averse when there are stuff free alternatives. That's me, though. Other folks reach for tools first, which is better than sitting on the couch.

Yeah, I just wonder if the

Yeah, I just wonder if the tools are necessary. I do like doing foot-strengthening exercises but my physical therapist gave me 2 great ones that only involve a resistance band, marbles, and a plastic cup.

But barefoot running has a

But barefoot running has a downside. For most runners it’s just not very comfortable when done on the surfaces we usually run on. It tends to become less uncomfortable over time, but except in rare individual cases, running barefoot on asphalt never feels as good as running in shoes on the same surface.

Ya gotta admit - this is some forward progress for Fitzgerald.

But this isn't in line with my experience. Asphalt without shoes is usually more comfortable for me than asphalt with shoes because I don't have shoes rubbing on my precious princess skin.

I ran with Preston early into my transition, and one of the things he mentioned to me was that my feet would start to appreciate different surfaces over time. I can't remember exactly what he said, but it's totally been true. Now, 14 months after my transition, it's like I have another sense. Uncomfortable isn't quite right - it's just that there is this new, sensitive part of my body that can take in more information about my surroundings. While sometimes asphalt is uncomfortable, now my fuzzy slippers are more comfortable.

And I'm remembering more. I ran a half marathon in the spring with a few people I knew. When we started sharing about our races, I was the only one who knew where the dirt road began and ended. I knew where the cobblestones came up from the road. I knew about the brief period where we ran on concrete, and the location of all of the frost heaves. I wouldn't trade this for "comfort".

C. Beth Run. wrote:Yeah, I

C. Beth Run. said:
Yeah, I just wonder if the tools are necessary. I do like doing foot-strengthening exercises but my physical therapist gave me 2 great ones that only involve a resistance band, marbles, and a plastic cup.
Your PT is McGyver?

Nyal wrote:Your PT is

Nyal said:
Your PT is McGyver?

I wish...swooon...boy, did my teenage self think that mulleted man was hot! :love:

SillyC wrote: Ya gotta admit

SillyC said:
Ya gotta admit - this is some forward progress for Fitzgerald.

Absolutely, wonder what is wrong with him.

So if you were considering starting something new, such as barefoot running, would you take barefoot running advice from a guy who has never run barefoot before? It's like wanting to learn how to do the Olympic lifts and then asking the dude on the preacher curl bench how to do them.

Hmmmm. Seems to me that we

Hmmmm. Seems to me that we can substitute a lot of the "tools" that these companies try to sell us with simplified and cheaper versions of them. I could go out and buy a foam roller for $35 or use my rolling pin. The rolling pin worked like a champ for rolling out my knot monsters.

I'm thinking that something like this would appeal to those people who are only halfway sold on the idea of barefoot or minimalist running. Lets face it, we live in a fad-conscious, "I want it now!" society and the majority of people out there don't have the patience to pick up a new fad that requires transitioning time. The downside may be that these people may also give up quicker if they're only half-sold on the idea.

Not sure that tools like this will work if people aren't willing to do some kind of barefoot running. We all know how its key to run barefoot first, then switch to minimal shoes. I don't know for sure, but, it seems to me that if you don't have correct form then strengthening the muscles in your feet alone won't do you much good.

it's always clear to me that

it's always clear to me that someone hasn't run barefoot when they make statements like "running on asphalt" isn't comfortable...it's the easiest stuff to run on bare, and painful and irritating when run on with shoes....

sure, strengthen your feet....especially if you have no intention of being a runner...but I'm with Danjo here, just take off the shoes and walk everywhere, no need to "buy" stuff to rehab your weak feet.

Fitzgerald does seem kind of

Fitzgerald does seem kind of hung up on it.. he writes about it often. I think Fitzgerald has run BF before, and had some kind of negative experience. Can't remember in which of his many articles that appeared.

But I can't get hung up on bibliography while there are new products to create! "Breakthroughs" has inspired me to dream up a whole new line of products for people who want the benefits of something, but don't really want to get messy.

Sex, obviously, provides a big target market. Unless you've been living under a rock, you've heard of the benefits of sex... a more relaxed and positive attitude, and (perhaps most mysterious and important) a real vivaciousness and je ne sais quoi to your hairstyle!

But, sex has its downside. Squishy body parts are involved, and the emotional ramifications of obsession, jealousy, and heavens forbid, honest to god romantic love are just too much for many people to handle.

Wouldn’t it be nice if you could get the “gain” of sex without the pain? Well, now you can.

I won't reveal the secret of my technology, but it may involve PVC pipe. And tennis balls cut in half. Balance poles?? Why the heck not!

I actually take issue with

I actually take issue with the premise behind Fitzgerald's review, and ultimately the product he is reviewing for two reason:

1) Specificity of training: want to strengthen the muscles you use in running? Use them for running! And I realize this is too easy for some people, who need to create "additive" solutions (band-aids rather than cures), but that leads me to...

2) This (long) article on Steve Magness's blog (actually written by Matt Andre), that reviews the literature and finds little to no evidence that stability exercises improve anything other than performance on that same exercise.

So I really don't think Fitzgerald has a leg to stand on here at all.

Jimmy Hart wrote:i'm all for

Jimmy Hart said:
i'm all for stuff like this. not a big fan of gimmicky exercise things to capitalize on a new "movement" but i totally believe in the truth here. strengthening your feet before you get into barefoot running is IMO the best way to go. it helps eliminate all the injuries that are currently plagueing uneducated converts.

in terms of saying doing this stuff instead of running barefoot i say not so much but he doesnt say that. he says get in low and light shoes which is great advice. i also agree that running in shoes does sometimes feel nicer than running on rough surfaces as well as letting me run faster because i dont have to worry about the terrain as much.

Well said, I agree Jimmy.

SillyC wrote:Stomper, when it

SillyC said:
Stomper, when it comes to getting the benefits of sex without the messy entanglements, I'm going to be championing the minimalist approach yet again.

:shock:

i'm with abide on this one

i'm with abide on this one and i did say i dont like gimmicks capitalizing on stuff thats suddenly of interest to the public. i still maintain that strengthening the feet will be of great benefit to someone who wants to bare/minimal. you dont need tools like these to do so and i've given a lot of advice over the years on how to build foot strength with just the carpet in your house but i'd rather someone spend some time building and rediscovering the muscles in their feet than just jumping outside for a 5 mile run.

sure taking your shoes off and walking or running will help them but you can do a lot more in the process by helping the muscles get stronger outside of the activity you want to use them for. i'm a minimalist in a lot of ways including resistance training as i dont have a gym membership anymore because i just got tired of the old school mentality in there that i have to lift weights to be fit.