Beth & Jimmy

Mike

Barefooters
Oct 22, 2010
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me with something.

Before I started running BF I had pretty severe shin splints. Now for the most part they don't bother me, but every once in a while (after a run, volley ball, or anything that involves jumping) it flares back up. From what I have been reading it sounds like it is caused by tight/cold muscles/tendons in the leg.

From what I have read you guys seem to know a lot about these things, so I was hoping you might have some tips/suggestions for me.

Thanks, Mike

if you really feel it's from

if you really feel it's from the muscles being cold then the obvious answer is to make sure you do a good warm up before activities that cause you trouble.

beyond that you can do strengthening exercises for you anterior tibialis that will help tighten the muscle down so it's less likely to pull away from the tibia. i would say do toe lifts and other exercises with bands but most of them involve some type of dorsiflexion.

you can google shin exercises and get a lot of options there :)

shin splints usually just take time and strengthening to heal and get rid of them. it sounds like you've given them the time part and now you just need to build those muscles.

Mine are medial shin splints,

Mine are medial shin splints, but google recommends the same thing for both types. I have a list of exercises and stretches printed out, and will start warming up and stretching them before I run. Just wanted to get your opinion before I started. :)

to be technical there is no

to be technical there is no real difference between medial tibial stress syndrome and "shin splints" the whole medial thing has been added recently to try and seperate the potential shin pains out but in reality it's all basically the same. the muscles stretching the length of the tibia hurt and the treatments thus far are almost all the same. there are some very subtle differences here and there but nothing of any consequence. bottom line: strengthen the tibias and you will notice a world of difference. good luck Mike

You can also massage with a

You can also massage with a tennis ball or massage ball. Sit against a wall. Pull knee up toward chest, foot OFF ground. Use ball to find a tight spot on your shin muscle, starting just next to the bone (not on the bone.) Press ball into tight spot, lift foot, press ball tighter, and "slap" foot toward ground 3 times. Move to another tight spot. Repeat as necessary, at least a couple of times a day at first, and once a day to maintain looseness. Only stay on one spot for several seconds--you don't want to massage one spot for a long time, though you can massage frequently if you'd like!

That's what my PT taught me. And definitely follow Jimmy's strengthening advice! An easy exercise is to "write the alphabet" in the air with your toes, with your foot off the ground.