Best Transitioning Shoe

To answer your question TJ

To answer your question TJ they were just trying to offer a couple of options for tightening based on perference. Mine have both straps and there really isn't an issue with them being too tight. I've honestly enjoyed these shoes. The sole is about the same as a racing flat in thickness so it's still pretty thin compared to conventional shoes and I may have talked them into making them a little thinner :) and yes they have tried in a few forums on the net to make sure they seperate themselves from vffs.

The owner of the company is actually a vff wearer and after having a lot of people say they liked his vffs but wanted/needed more under their feet he came up with ANK. Now I'm fully aware that we don't need support and cushioning but I think we can all admit that at least 80% of people out there do believe that so why not create a shoe that gets them going in the right direction? I think it's a great product to assist the masses in coming to right mentality and understanding of how the feet actually work.

Thanks Jimmy, scrambling to

Thanks Jimmy, scrambling to find something minimal for the quickly approaching cold. You really like these? I have tried the VFFs on once and to be honest wasn't really feelin it with them. I tried the bikila and KSO (I think?). I'd have to give them another try before I actually say I won't ever buy them, though I just wasn't sold on the idea of them. Are they very much VFFs in their fit? I have to believe that not all 5 finger shoe is created equally, maybe there's still hope for me in some sort of 5 finger shoe. ;)

I do like these but I can't

I do like these but I can't say they are minimal. The sole is around 15mm thick so it's not minimal in the heel. the forefoot is only 6mm and the shoe is very flexible but it's not so much minimal.

I've been a vff fan for nearly five years now so i kind of always think you cant go wrong with them. if you dont like those then you might just try the aqua shoes. there is always the uber expensive evos from terra plana but they aren't very flexible so i'm not a huge fan.

the real question is what are you looking for in a winter shoe?

I guess I'm looking for

I guess I'm looking for warmth, since I'll likely be running down into single digits and occasionally sub zero temps. I'm not as concerned about lots of traction, though something as minimal as my huaraches would put me out there ice skating on the ice rather than running on it. I slow down quite a bit in the winter and really watch my footwork to avoid slipping rather than relying on extra tread or a spike/trak of some sort.

I ran in my adizeros the other day and I've got sore spots on my pinkie does (think they are too narrow for running now, fine for Zumba..which I use them for mostly). So I need something with a nice wide toe box, and it's likely I'll be wearing socks which means even more room. I've been blessed with naturally wide feet, even more so now since starting barefoot running. Which leads me to believe that I wont' have much luck with traditional racing flats since most of them seem to be on the narrow side.

I have very little money to spend on shoes, so Terra Plana/expensive minimal shoes are out of the question. I'd like to try Jingas, though again I'm apprehensive to spend the money, have them shipped from UK and not have success with them because they're too narrow. Stinks that we have to buy online, minimal alternatives. I love online purchasing, though for the purpose of shoes and clothes, doen't work so well for me.

OH! If I had to go with the bikila (which seemed to be the most comfortable of the two VFFs I tried) do you think I could go without socks? I tried them on both with and without injinji socks and without socks was much better. I may end up sucking it up and going with the bikila if I can wear them without socks and still have the warmth I need.

Sorry to hijack your thread Irish :shy:

I have never worn the bikila

I have never worn the bikila with socks. I tried them once just to see how it felt but they were designed to not have socks used so that's the way i like them. i also think they would do pretty good in the winter weather without socks in terms of keeping your feet warm. you might spray them with something like scotch guard to try and help keep the moisture out.

to make this thread applicable i like the bikila a transition shoe a lot too. they are a little stiffer and cushioned than the original vffs and they feel more like a regular shoe than others. that does not mean they are not minimal however and you can/will over do it in them if you let that feeling keep you from remembering that you are now running in basically nothing compared to conventional shoes.

thank you Jimmy, you are such

thank you Jimmy, you are such an invaluable resource for us. You are almost selling me on the bikilas. I may have to give them another shot and just suck it up and buy them:p

I have the men's red/gray

I have the men's red/gray Bikilas size 42 if anyone wants to buy them. I will take 20% off and pay for shipping. I barely ran in them.

hmm, I think I tried the 39

hmm, I think I tried the 39 on...what's your US shoe size TJ. I think I"m about 8.5/9? depending on the shoe

I wear the same size, Zum, so

I wear the same size, Zum, so if they are too big for me they would be too big for you. Pooh.

bummer Hopefully someone can

bummer :( Hopefully someone can get some good use out of them

Zumba, for under 90 bucks, I

Zumba, for under 90 bucks, I really like the RunAmocs. Very roomy in the toe box, so you can wear injinjis (or any other sock for that matter) with them. Plus they're made in Oregon :). I think they feel more "barefoot" than my vff kso treksports.

I use the bikila and it's

I use the bikila and it's great for when theres broken glass or sharp rocks. They also have some cushioning (only 2mm) that helps on downhills when its harder to forefoot strike while still being barefoot like. Overall they're pretty good as of now, though I only have 50 miles on them. Ininji socks make them usable for when its crazy cold, though nothing can make them water proof. Also they're a lot more barefoot than Nike frees. Great shoes... take some advice from me, though, and spend time when you buy them. I bought 45 and i really have to cinch the strap and probably should have gone with 44... they fit extremely differently than your "average" shoe.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7