Best Trail running footwear (rock protection)

janson

Barefooters
Sep 21, 2011
I'm trying to get ideas on what footwear to try next. I am looking for something that will offer decent rock protection while still being very minimal. I am leaning towards the Trail Gloves, and wondering how the Luna Leadvilles compare, and any other options.

I think nick has the Luna ATS, very similar to leadvilles, I think. Trail gloves have lots of fans, and certainly have a rock plate. It's tough to make suggestions, though; If you want to stay really minimal, but have rock protection TG's may be it. If you just want zero drop, Altra Lone Peaks would be protective and a great trail option...

I should check out the Altras. I know my original Lunas did not offer the protection I needed for a race earlier this year (I had to go really slow on some sections), so looking forward to next year, I'm trying to decide what to do, The only place around me that sells Altras doesn't have a good return policy, but I could always get them when I'm in Seattle or Portland if I decide to go that route. I've also considered the Merell Mix Masters that Jason Robillard has been raving about on facebook.

My ATS sandals Lomad are with the 8mm pacer sole. That's why I did not reply at first because it is a different sole. I have yet to try them on any sort of rough trail either so I cannot attest to how well they will do what you need Janson. I've heard good things about the Mix Masters, but if you decide to try Altra shoes go to Fit Right NW, they have a good selection as well as a good return policy. Not too mention that they are really nice to minimalist runners and very helpful.

I'm no shill, Janson, but for a good return policy on the Altras check around on line. Many of the larger online retailers have pretty awesome return policies.

I was in your local Altra dealer a few weeks back while visiting; The guy I was talking to was generally clueless about shoes. Scary in a shoe store...add a bad return policy and I'd just stay away.

I've only been in there once, and they seemed ok, but no deals on anything, and not the best retun policy (i.e., you can't actually try the shoes in real terrain), so I just stick with REI for most stuff. If you ever want to go for a run when you're in town let me know

Janson, Running Warehouse carries Altra and now has a 90 day return policy, even on used items. It the item is used, you can either exchange it or get store credit.

As far as the Trail Gloves, they're great shoes, but rather stiff in my opinion.

I run in the VFF Spyridons on trails and roads with road mix (gravel and rock). They're flexible with pretty good ground feel and they have a rock block.

I also have the Leadvilles, but have only run in them a couple of times and haven't used them on trail. I do think they'd be an excellent option though.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test