Best clothing for (UK) winter running?

Pigwig

Barefooters
Aug 17, 2013
Hello, this is my first winter as a runner and I'd like some advice/opinions on what you like to run in during the cold weather. It's very confusing, looking at all the gear in official running shops - do I need base layers/short or long sleeve? Long sleeve t-shirt or zip up jacket? Thermal leggings??? HELP!!

Generally, in life not running, I feel the cold (takes me until about 28 degrees to remove a jumper!), when I run though I do tend to get quite sweaty. I bought a long sleeve T from Sports Direct, the make is Karrimor and it just makes me feel chilly to begin with, then hot and sweaty once I get a bit warmed up. I was advised by the shop assistant that it was breathable. This is why I'm asking what you prefer to use (brands or style) before I decide. Obviously shops have retail targets, and some just want to pass on the most expensive. I don't mind paying out IF it's a product that is well worth it, I just don't necessarily want to pay for a name. On the flip side, I thought Karrimor was a known/good name and yet I don't like the top I bought so perhaps you can't always tell just from a name?!

any advice welcome please.

Whereabouts are you based?

As a rule of thumb you'll probably find that you are suitably dressed if you feel a little chilly for the first 10 - 15 minutes of each run. Gloves and a knit hat will be useful for fine-tuning thermal-regulation as they can be put on or off easily.

I used to run in winter in northern Scotland in tights, a long-sleeved top (frequently with a wind shirt over it) and hat and gloves.

Karimor as a name is the same but the company has changed hands a few times in the last 25 years and I'm told the quality is not the same as I knew in the '80s.

I'm an absolute fan of Icebreaker for winter and summer running: Pure Merino Wool: lightweight, sweat absorbing and no stink! :)
Sure, their products are quite expensive but worth it!
The running shirts (short or long sleeves as needed) can either be worn alone in summer or as underwear in winter (I use them also as everyday underwear in winter).
Can't say anything about their middle our outer layers - these are a bit too expensive for me for the moment.
So in winter I wear Icebreaker underwear (shirt and pants) and above that a cheap synthetic running legging (the home brand of a local sports shop) and a cheap synthetic running sweatshirt plus a cheap lightweight wind jacket.
Icebreaker also does running leggings but apparently they start to sag during rainy weather :(, but in freezing temperatures they might be nice to wear underneath the ordinary leggings.
Hope that helps...

Reactions: Bare Lee
I don't generally go much for name brands anyway, so take my advice for what it might be worth.

First, go to the archives here. There are several excellent discussions on this topic. It's come up at least once each fall for the 3 years I've been hanging about.

Next, understand that every body is different. As in others, you will find your own way in this matter best with the application of energy. Try stuff out. Vary your approach. Overdress and underdress. See how your body acclimates. It will do so only if you get it outside in various weathers and conditions. Nobody gets used to winter running by sitting in their kitchen.

Last, the best advice I have on this subject is to get warmed up, almost but not quite to the point of breaking a sweat, before heading out the door. Your extremities will bless you for this. They will likely get chilled a bit to start, but will come around much sooner if you've got the thermostat cranked up early on in the process.

Have fun! You know that you get extra virtue points for runs under 5C, don't you?

Cheers for all the feedback. It seems the best way is to "suck it and see", which pretty much sums up running in general, eh! I think maybe I was getting carried away because other advice I've had is that lots of people wear the same stuff all year round (in most cases, shirts and vests, brrrrr!). I went out the other night much later than usual and it was fffreezing so I was imagining proper winter runs. I guess some of the fun will be in trial and error!

I'm an absolute fan of Icebreaker for winter and summer running: Pure Merino Wool: lightweight, sweat absorbing and no stink! :)
I second that!

I'm a recent convert to Merino wool, and I think most of my stuff is from Icebreaker. Like Hobbit says, it's pricey, but worth it. I began my foray into high-tech running gear at the beginning of last winter, and started with the synthetic fabrics. But they stink and don't seem to wick as well either. I began getting Merino wool stuff around New Year's. Now I even have several light-weight Merino wool t-shirts for the summer. I'll be looking to complete my Merino wardrobe this winter by replacing my synthetic leggings and jacket. I'll probably hold off until the after x-mas sales though.

As for how to use it, like J-Tree says, you just have to experiment and find your tolerances and what combination of gear works best. I like the layered approach.

I don't really like winter running, especially the ice patches, but it's a great feeling afterwards--extremely bracing to embrace the elements.

Reactions: Hobbit

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11