Belated Happy New Year! ~ a message from your Prez

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Barefoot Terry, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Barefoot Terry

Barefoot Terry Chapter Presidents
    1. California...
    2. Michigan
    3. Oregon
    4. California...

OR maybe if I wait a bit longer, I can say Happy Chinese New Year and not be late!!! :)

Ok, my apologies to everyone that I have not been an active chapter president as of late. . .

In trying to get some REAL interest and chatter in our chapter, I would like to see as many of our 131 members post comments to this posting.

1) What are your 2012 running goals? Planned races? Other fitness goals?

2) What locations do you think would make great "group run" sites?

3) What kind of things would you like to see us do together as a chapter? Run races? BBQ? Family Day? Campout?

I want to hear all of your ideas!!! Let's get excited this year!

We have the 2nd Annual International Barefoot Running Day approaching in May. What else can we do? What else do YOU want to do?

~ Barefoot Terry, San Francisco Chapter Prez

2. Barefoot Pablo

Barefoot Pablo Barefooters
    1. California...

I recently did my first 50k (the Epiphany Run that I posted about here) an I plan on doing the Rodeo Valley Trail Run 50k on March 18th (http://www.insidetrail.com/ai1ec_event/rodeo-valley-trail-run/?instance_id=). They also have 8k, half and 30k races. I know of three other BRS folks coming (Krista from Sac, and two from San Diego) so we should try to get more people to join from BRS.

I would like to lead a group run here in Marin, perhaps on part of the Rodeo course but I think it is most realistic for us to meet up at races. It's hard to justify driving at for a jog while races are different for some reason.

3. zapmamak

zapmamak Barefooters
    1. California...

I plan to be a supple leopard in 2012 (so I can complete my first 50 miler, hopefully in the not so distant future). I'm racing Rodeo beach with Pablo in March. I'm really far away from most of you guys so the races are the best way for me to chill with my chapter peeps. Plus I don't really run for my training anyway. Ha! Maybe if ya'll did a family camping trip I might be able to join in the fun.

4. Running Romeo

Running Romeo Barefooters
    1. California...

Boy... I feel like a slug. You guys are doing 50k's and 50 milers and my big goal for the year is to do my first barefoot marathon. I haven't picked which one yet and the only thing I'm signed up for this year soo far is the Shamrock 1/2 March 11th. I guess my other "goals" would be to keep my streak of only running "bare" barefoot (I haven't worn anything on my feet while running since 4/23/11) and to get back to more "fun" running versus "schedule" running. I'm also looking to do some more barefoot backcountry hiking/camping/running.

I would like to do more trail running but I really haven't found too many nice trails in my neck of the woods (pretty flat where I am) so I would be up for doing a little bit of traveling to get to some nicer trail runs.

Maybe if someone in the group knows of a REALLY nice trail run we could get together and do it for IBRD this year?

5. Barefoot Pablo

1. California...

Hey Running Romeo, I am certainly impressed by your barefoot streak but keep in mind that can't run everything/everywhere barefoot (see number 6 in this excellend article by Jason Robillard:http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/2012/01/10/15-myths-about-barefoot-running-what-my-experiences-have-taught-me/). I am told that no one has ever run a 100-miler completely barefoot, and maybe you will be the first, but I believe in the benefits on minimalist shoes for protecting my feet. There is NO WAY I could have done the 50k barefoot, and I don't know that I ever could. If you do want to do an ultra, I would encourage you to try it with some means of protection. The truth is that it is not that hard, assuming that you feed and hydrate properly, have trained enough, and walk the uphill parts. I would love it if you would join us at the Rodeo race!

6. Running Romeo

Running Romeo Barefooters
    1. California...

Pablo, Thanks for the link to Jasons article. I was actually over there just this a.m. reading some of his new posts but I hadn't gotten to this one.

I think the "going bare" all the time has more to do with the un-challenging terrain that I tend to run on than anything else (I WISH I had "Back country mountain trails with sharp granite and deserts with fifty species of thorny plants" nearby that I could run on all the time!). I ran a little over 750 miles last year and everytime I head out for a run there really hasn't been any reason to NOT run barefoot so I just do (even though if I'm running a race over unfamiliar trails I do carry along my huaraches or my VFFs, I just haven't had to use them yet).

Though I might think about it from time to time (usually after drinking alot of beer), I don't really have any plans to be running 100 or 50 milers anytime soon and if I DID I would be looking to do them minimal vs bare (or maybe some bare and some minimal). For now I just have to live vicariously through Jason, you, Zap and Terry ;-)

Actually, if I had read about you and Zap doing the Rodeo race just a week ago I probably would have asked to join you but I did an 18 mile run last Saturday and since then I've had a "twinge" in my left knee so I'm listening to my body and slowing it down for awhile to see if I can get it to go away. For now I'll have to pass.

7. Barefoot Pablo

1. California...

It's still 2 months away and they have 8k, half, and 30k distances! Definitely listen to your body but think about it if the knee cooperates! Would love to have you there!

8. IrrevArends

IrrevArends Barefooters
    1. California...
    2. Washington

I'm pretty new to barefooting. I just started a few months ago with poor info on how the form is different. So now, with more info I'm starting again. I was signed up for the Napa Valley Trail Half (March 24) before I decided to go bf, but now that my training has totally switched (and slowed) I've downgraded that to the 10k. I realize that is still rather ambitious so I'm trying to keep expectations low for that one.

Otherwise, my goals are to start running barefoot. I'd love to do a half in the fall, but will see how things progress.

Also, is anyone interested in trying the Tought Mudders course, or the Warrior run? I just learned about these and am intrigued.

9. Fancy Free

Fancy Free Barefooters
    1. California...

Hi Y'all, I haven't been on the forum because I haven't been running. I pulled a tendon in my theigh which pulled my knee out of alignment which in turn pulled a toe out of alignment. That was last May. I'm starting to run now, very limited, not pushing it, well, a little. My goals, start small and work forward. When I can comfortably run 6 miles, then do a 10 k. Add longer runs and races as my body allows. If I do a 1/2 this year I'll be happy. My long term goal is to do a 60k when I'm 60 (I'm 54 now). I've been going barefoot this whole time. I can go for 2 hours (trails in the Santa Cruz redwoods) and my soles are done. Just bought a pair of Merrills and I love them, which is good since yesterday, my chiropractor told me no barefoot running until my toe is completely healed...then go for it. So me and my Merrills are hitting the trail - literally. I'm so used to going barefoot that I keep snaggng my now shod toe on protruding roots and down I go. If you ever see an old lady somersaulting down the hillside, that'll be me.

I would love to get together with other barefooters, but hang back because I Am Slow. Are there any other slow, fat (not running for 6 months I gained 10 lbs) barefooters out there. I long for the day when I can run all over the trails of Henry Cowell (State park in Felton) like I used to. Maybe this summer.

Ideas for get togethers.....how about "graded" runs? So we can meet up with people of similar abilities. Location? Let's see the back trails of this beautiful state. The bay area rim trail has great views and well maintained (but not graveled) trails.

10. Margaret Whitcomb

Margaret Whitcomb Barefooters
    1. California...

When I joined BRS, I had just started running and envisioned being able to run possibly a half marathon in about 1 year. But the first thing was to make sure I had fun. (After all, if you're not having fun, what's the point?) Next was to have the proper form. Unfortunately, I've had a slight set-back. I had so much fun that I over did it and hurt both of my feet. I am down to running 1 to 2 times per week, about 1 - 1.5 miles each time.

I figure if I take it a little easy on my feet that they will be able to heal and I can still enjoy myself even if I have to stop earlier than I want to. I'm looking forward to when my feet will be strong enough, and I can finally be able to really dig in and condition myself. In the mean time, I am hoping to connect with other runners, learn a few things, check out some of the races that are in my area and are accessible by Bart or bus, and definitely looking forward to the IBRD. I just hope there's a location close enough for me to attend.

If there are others in a similar situation, people who wouldn't mind doing a short run, or running part of the time with me and then running on their own for a while, I would really appreciate connecting with others.

11. Fancy Free

Fancy Free Barefooters
    1. California...

Hey Margaret, where are you located? I'm in the Santa Cruz area, but I work in Redwood City. I'd love to do a short run.

12. Ludo

Ludo Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. California...
    3. New York

I am in Campbell... I would love to run on some trails near Santa Cruz too!

13. Ludo

Ludo Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. California...
    3. New York

Hey Terry! I think you are doing a great job as Chapter president.

North California is simply a really big place to all meet easily.

To answer your questions:

1) What are your 2012 running goals? Planned races? Other fitness goals?

I started running BF in 2009 while living in NYC. Ran 16 miles of the NYC marathon barefoot then put some minimalist shoes on.

So logically, I would love to run a full marathon BF but will maybe start with a Half.

2) What locations do you think would make great "group run" sites?

That's a tough one.

I think it's easier to meet for races since people will come anyway if they signed already.

Personally, I discovered trail running and love it. It's much harder going BF so I go minimalist most of the time.

3) What kind of things would you like to see us do together as a chapter? Run races? BBQ? Family Day? Campout?

I like them all!

Campout near some redwoods park.... would be an amazing thing to do!

One of the reasons, I ran BF is to feel more connected to myself and the earth so running in nature makes it even better :)

14. Margaret Whitcomb

Margaret Whitcomb Barefooters
    1. California...

You guys are awesome. I would love to run in Santa Cruz, but do not have access to a vehicle. I live in the Oakland area. Berkeley and SF are the easiest for me to reach, but there is a possibility of reaching other areas if accessible by Bart.

Is there a race or gathering that might make meeting up easier if either one of you can't travel that far?

15. Fancy Free

Fancy Free Barefooters
    1. California...

Hi Ludo,

I know alot of trails in Santa Cruz mountains through the redwoods. I'm available to run Mon, Wed before noon, and Friday or Saturday anytime. I'm just getting back to running after an injury so I can go slowly (run/walk) for about 1.5 hours max (if i didn't run the day before).

16. Fancy Free

Fancy Free Barefooters
    1. California...

Hi Margaret,

Does Bart go to the Redwood City or Palo Alto area? If so we could meet there on a wed morning and go running along shoreline. or something like that. I'll have to check a map. I start work on Wed at 2 in Palo Alto

17. BarefootManu

BarefootManu Barefooters
    1. California...

Hi Margaret,

I'm new to the forum but noticed your post. I usually run on the embarcadero in SF. My mileage is still relatively low, 4mi "bare" or 6 with toe shoes but looking to increase the mileage. Have been doing it for about a year and a half and just getting to the point where calf pain is not an issue anymore.

If you or someone else wants to run in SF let me know. My schedule is fairly flexible.

18. Barefoot Ken Bob

Barefoot Ken Bob Administrator
    1. California...

I suggest relaxing the calves more (if you feel your heels pounding, bend your knees more NOT lift the knees, BEND the knees).

Far too often we see the following chain of events, especially in people depending too much on footwear, rather than gentle running technique, to run comfortably in rough terrain, or for longer distances than their bare feet allow comfortably.
    [*]Not reading my book (Barefoot Running Step by Step)[*]Tensing the calves to stay up on the ball of the foot, or pushing off too hard[*]Calf pain[*]Toughening up the calves so they can take the increased stress[*]Foot starts hurting from the increased stress.[*]Continuing running, hoping that the foot will learn to handle the excess stress.[*]Stress fractures in feet[*]Long time of not being able to run (time to read my book, Barefoot Running Step by Step)
    Relax, relax, relax. The goal is to put less stress on the body, to reduce injury, not to toughen up to endure the stress.

Have fun (but don't injure yourself unnecessarily)

-Barefoot Ken Bob Saxton

19. Barefoot Terry

Barefoot Terry Chapter Presidents
    1. California...
    2. Michigan
    3. Oregon
    4. California...

Great responses everyone!

Keep them coming (if you haven't responded yet)!

Races I think are the best option for many of us since we are so spread out. When you register for a race or if you have one in mind, post on our page here and/or our Chapter Facebook page. Then others can see who's out there and planning to race. If you wanna join, comment on their post!

I think the more we get to know each other, the more we will be willing to meet for other runs outside of races.

For IBRD, I think a nice trail run in the East Bay hills might be fun. That way it's free. We can make a day of it with a BBQ and running, etc!

If you are willing and able to "host" small group runs in parts of the bay, please post on here - calendar the event or contact me to put it on the calendar. I love how you guys are all connecting on here! Running Romeo and I tend to run in the Elk Grove/Stockton area. We will be exploring the American River 50 course over the next 2 months. You are all welcome to join us/me for that. I will post on here when and where I will be (once I beat this stupid cold).

Keep the chatter coming!!! LOVE IT!!!

20. zapmamak

zapmamak Barefooters
    1. California...

Terry,

Are you running AR50 in March? I don't think I can do it this year, but would love to next year if I don't find another 50 miler earlier.