Being on your feet 8 hours a day.

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
So I have a new job which has me on my feet 8 hours a day, my last job was a desk job with some walking around involved but nothing like this. After my first week of work I will admit my body is shot, my lower back, my thighs are sore, but my feet are not that bad. After a few weeks I know my body will adapt to this.

The negative is my running will take a dramatic fall in mileage, just no time to run anymore like I used to. So I was wondering today, that if this time on my feet and a long run on the weekend might be a good thing for future ultra's with low mileage training?

I am on my feet 12 hours a night 7pm to 7am with no lunch breaks. Somenights its a lot of walking and climbing stairs or ladders ( depending on which machine) I had ti cut my sleep back to get in shape. I run/bike or lift 5-6 days a week even when I work 72 hours! Its hard as hell but I have too! Of course before going BF my running on a work day was max of 6 miles about an hour for me. And longer on off days now going BF I am back to 2 or 3 miles 3X a week!

So I have a new job which has me on my feet 8 hours a day, my last job was a desk job with some walking around involved but nothing like this. After my first week of work I will admit my body is shot, my lower back, my thighs are sore, but my feet are not that bad. After a few weeks I know my body will adapt to this.

The negative is my running will take a dramatic fall in mileage, just no time to run anymore like I used to. So I was wondering today, that if this time on my feet and a long run on the weekend might be a good thing for future ultra's with low mileage training?

Well, I had job where I stood for eight hours, in my experience, after getting used to it, standing actually recovers my feet much, much better than sitting. Sitting just makes me stiff and sore and recovering is slower. I have now standing desk so that I don't need to sit too much at home either..

You would probably be able to increase your mileage, if you had time. I used to run to and from work, recovering actively from morning run. In my new job I expect that it will be pretty much the same, although distance is a bit longer.

Shawn, what kind of printing do you do? I worked for a printing company for 5 years before I went back to school. We printed business checks, letterhead, invoices, etc... Mostly we specialized in business checks though.

My dad, my brother, and my brother-in-law were all printers. They learned the trade from my dad. My brother had a four-process color shop. All three have passed away. :( Miss them terribly.

I run a 2 story Goss C700 offsett web :) basically we print all the sale flyers for big chain retailers. Walmart, Home Depot etc... My press can run up to 70,000 books an hour. The company I work for prints everything out there magazines, books, flyers etc.. But our plant does all retail inserts and AAA flyers. Its a big press! Well over 100ft long.

Sorry for your losses TJ!! Not many printers make it to old age!!!

I would love to finish my degree and get out but just not possible right now! If I get laid off I will be going back to finish!

Now see, my dad could tell me all about that stuff.

Best wishes with the new job!

Adam, I've gotta be honest with you....

From 1999 till 2008, I worked 8 hours a day on my feet. It did not help my running much at all - I sucked at running, as a matter of fact. I tried to run a 10K and it took me almost an hour.
In '08, I started a desk job. I also started training a lot harder in '09. Since '09, I've knocked almost 5 minutes off of my 5K PR and I've increased my mileage drastically.

Occasionally, I will spend 8 hours a day on my feet for several days, and I don't think it hurts my training at all. I'm not slower on those days, nor am I more tired, really.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test