Beginning of osteoarthritis in ankle and short achilles

Discussion in 'Ask the Docs' started by Adi, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Adi

Adi Barefooters
    1. International

Got this diagnosis today. I'm only 29, female. Sprained this ankle a couple times as a kid.

Is this reversible? What can I do for it?

I started going barefoot 6 months ago. I don't run yet, it's one of my barefooting goals. I go barefoot pretty much everywhere. I will wear my 4mm huaraches in special circumstances.

I hate sitting for long. I stand while I work.

Thanks in advance!

2. Dr. Mark

Dr. Mark Barefooters
    1. West Virginia

Adi What diagnosis?

3. Dr. Mark

Dr. Mark Barefooters
    1. West Virginia

actually i see it in subject. yes progressive barefoot activity and strengthening all the muscles will protect your joints! listen to your body and do not put pain in your body

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  4. flammee

flammee Barefooters

Kneesovertoesguy on youtube have some interesting stuff about ankle injury, strenghtening and mobility.. I have achilles problems and this move of first video seems to do the trick best to open up some mobility in my calves and hamstrings, which are quite related.. Stretching seems to be quite useless, don't help with pain, don't increase mobility, feels painful in wrong way. Eccentric calf raises with weights might also help a bit, I use 12-24 kg and do it single leg. In my experience eccentric training with full range of motion with a bit of stretching at the end of range seems to actually do something good.

This probably does good also..

And there's a formula for ankle sprain stuff..