Beginner program

franske

Barefooters
Feb 24, 2015
I've searced the forum, but i couldn't find a training-program to begin with.

To avoid injury it's best for me to have a proper program

3x times a week i run 30-45 min on my nike free's. How can i enlarge the time of running on my VFF?

A link with more info of training programs is very welcome

Many things in life are best done by figuring them out for your self. We promote running barefoot(bf) to help you listen to your body. That is more important than following someone else's program not made for you. We can help with problems by talking them but as far as how much you can run and what you should do is up to you to figure out.

There are many plans out there if you feel better following them. Couch to 5k is the most popular for beginners. It all depends on your goals. Good luck to you.

As you may have surmised by reading the posts here, there is no formal "training" program for running barefoot. I had similar questions when I started running barefoot and the best advice I found is the two simple statements:
1 - Start with short distances.
2 - if it hurts; stop.

#1 is so that you can adjust to the flood of information your brain's going to get from your feet. It'll take time to get used to it and shorter distances will help prevent doing too much too soon. It will also help you get accustomed to any change in the movements that you'll need to make.

#2 should be pretty self explanatory, but we have a tendency to ignore it for the sake of achieving some sort of goal. So, if it hurts, stop and figure out why.

I'm a huge fan of the Couch to 5K program (C25K). It is 9 weeks and progresses slowly from walk-run to run-walk to just run. I think it is a great transition program from shod to BFR.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Also available as a free app.

When you're ready to jump to a 1/2 marathon or even a full, I've always relied on Hal Higdon's programs. His novice programs start at being able to run 3-4 miles, so it is a great transition after the C25K.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

Reactions: Christian Lemburg
I agree with franske.
I'm in the process of transitioning to barefoot running and was a bit disappointed that the site doesn't have a Forum for beginners / transitioning. This would make so much sense. Even when there is no 'one-size-fits-all' program or schema, it does make sense to have a Forum where beginners can exchange experiences and possibly get some guidance by more experienced barefooters.

Reactions: trevize1138
I empathise with the need for clarity when you're just starting out. The idea of abandoning shoes and support can be very intimidating and beginners are hungry for guidance. On the other extreme the wealth of opinions and advice can be overwhelming and I think this forum tries to just avoid that noise. And it really is true that just going unshod and listening to your feet works. We really do mean unshod, too. Even the thinnest minimalist shoes mask the valuable data your feet provide.

FWIW here are my standard posts for beginners.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BarefootRunning/comments/71thej/how_to_run

https://www.reddit.com/r/BarefootRunning/comments/7gdzi0/running_is_not_walking

From an old post ... and I agree, we should have some forum for this, with "sticky" posts collected at the top.

The most important "exercise": Run in place, then lean forward a bit as if to kiss someone, now you should be running slowly. Continue. If you feel you are not sure about your form while running, stop. Repeat.

Some tips on how to get there:
- Lots of barefoot walking: helps you to adjust to more difficult terrain and environmental conditions (wet, cold, heat), useful to explore possible routes, get your feet used to the ground, build up strength and "tough" feet
- Run slow until it works for you: slow running with fast cadence, baby steps, lifting, etc.; speed will return later when you no longer fear the ground and can apply more force to it without hurting yourself
- Treat the transition as a learning process: barefoot running is a skill and needs to be learned, don't "tough it out", find out what is not working for you, and change your running accordingly; your feet are your best coaches; that said, your feet will adapt with time and provide more protection compared to when you started, it just needs some time (months)
- Run without fear: choose routes that you can run without fear of every step; if every step hurts, you will not be able to learn, and just punish yourself, loosing the fun; ability to run over difficult terrain comes with experience and time (months to years)
- Care for your feet: every day, clean and inspect your feet; some use some kind of oils or fats, some don't, it is up to you; treat any injuries promptly, avoid excessive overuse

If you like videos, then look up the videos of Dr. Mark Cucuzzella. Awesome running form, very good tips, motivational. Just watch out, this guy is a really fast runner. If you need a real "program", then any of those "from zero to 5k" programs for beginners with intermittent walking should do it. The main problem for runners switching to barefoot is the addiction to distance, resulting in the well known to-much-to-soon problem. This can easily be cured by a walk-run-walk-run approach to distance, similar to the way ultra-runners do it.

For me personally, the switch to "barefoot where possible" in daily life was the big factor to make the conversion in running. I guess running is often a bit stressful in the beginning, whereas walking gives you more time to adapt while still providing enough stimulus for growth and adaptation.

So, walk if you can't run!

Regards,

Christian

Reactions: Jaap Francke
beginners-barefootstyle-schema

This is a beginners schema from one of the barefoot-shops in the Netherlands.
It's in Dutch, but if i tell you the 2nd column indicates minutes of running barefoot and the 3rd column is walking inbetween, then it should be clear.

( I could translate the rest from Dutch as well)

I really liked this video. Although I already knew most of it, the visualisation helps me understand a lot better. Especially about flexing hip and knee.

That running in place exercise I've found to be incredibly instructive! For one thing it really drives home the point that 180 cadence at a slow pace is very possible. If you can step at 180bpm going 0mph you can do it at any speed.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts