Been away a while

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BarefootBilly, May 17, 2020.

1. BarefootBilly

BarefootBilly Barefooters

Hi guys

I used to come here quite often around a decade ago (this was a younger and fitter me back then lol - )

Since then I've had two kids and two major leg ops... (not sure if this is visible?https://ibb.co/FxLHZ94 ) I've been running minimalist on and off this whole time, usually injured but less than shod...

Just recently I've been out consistently most days - 3-5 miles in Fivefinger EL-X for a couple of months now so feeling pretty good

I've been out walking barefoot with my boy during COVID and decided to kick my sandals off one day for a bit. Then the next day a longer bit. Then the next day a bit more than a bit - much more than a bit, in fact, most of it (actually my boy balance bike's), then some tough gravel detour paths for kicks... Why? No idea. Just felt like it!

Today whilst out running, I kicked my Fivefingers off and ran on mostly smooth tarmac for a couple of miles - felt great! No hot spots, no blisters, no injuries - all good!

So I'm not sure where this will go - I've never really fancied the true barefoot thing but my feet are definitely thickening up - I'm still a wuss on sharp stones etc but I'm walking across things I couldn't possibly have done a few weeks ago...

And I'm looking for a brush to scrub my feet with...

So maybe I might just carry on. Or maybe I won't. But I'll always be minimalist in some form or other so thought I'd drop by again...

#1 BarefootBilly, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
  2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Welcome...back...Billy!

What torture device is that attached to your leg? What happened? Glad you were able to get back on your feet after all that. Geez!

3. The Mole

The Mole Barefooters

And there’s me feeling sorry for myself due to Achilles pain.... That looks like it hurt..

4. Tedlet

Tedlet Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hi Billy & welcome back..
    Well that's a pretty gruesome second picture isn't it -I won't ask, but good to know you've recovered...:)
    Look forward to hearing where you get to from here...

5. BarefootBilly

BarefootBilly Barefooters

Ha ha yes it was a tad torturous!! Long story, not very interesting - I was born with club feet and a twisted right tibia so was injured on and off most of my life as the bone was crooked. They broke it in surgery along with my fibula and I used those adjusters to separate and alter the angle of the bone ends before locking it off and allowing it to heal. Best thing I ever did - worked a charm! I thought I might lose my knee if I carried on but it feels fine now. The fibula is still broken and will never heal - the ends match up but aren't connected but it doesn't affect me. Onward and upward!!

BareFootBC, Barefoot TJ and Tedlet like this.
  6. BareFootBC

BareFootBC Barefooters
    1. Canada

These and a little soap and water work best for me...
    [​IMG]

...easy to get between/around toes as well.

Noodles and Barefoot TJ like this.
  7. Dirty Toes Joe

Dirty Toes Joe Barefooters
    1. Michigan

Pfft. Is that all? I thought it might have been something serious.

Kidding, of course. That's incredible. The fact that you're literally running around on a broken leg is...I don't know what the right word is. I'd say "inspirational" but usually when I'm inspired I don't feel like this much of a wuss. :) Well done, and thanks for giving me another "if that guy can do all that, I've got no excuse" argument to use against myself when I think I'm sore or hurting.

Noodles and Barefoot TJ like this.
  8. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

True dat. ;):barefoot:

Noodles likes this.