Becoming a tech whore

I do like REI. Been a membership since the 90's. Though, no stores in FL at all! Nearest is in Atlanta, 6 hrs away. I can't say that they have house brand equivalents of everything though. Of course, one can run in any jacket. It just might not work as well as a sport specific one.

Anyway, I tried the combo on my run at 41F and 14mph wind. It worked well for those conditions.
long sleeve baselayer and jacket(cheaper at Amazon)

Feet were cold, so I kept everything zipped up until the end. Sweat through the baselayer and jacket was damp. Was doing laundry anyway, so I tossed it in, too. It was pretty much dry by last night. Completely dry now, this morning.

It looks like the jacket is on sale at Amazon. 25% Off Pearl iZumi Athletic Clothing: Now thru Dec 23rd

Going to try again today, forecast 36F with 4mph. Feeling a bit lazy, but I'll go and call it product testing!
Hmnn, tempting, especially since I can return the REI fleece jacket despite having worn it on a run and around the house for a week--they have a very generous return policy. Returning the $50 jacket would bring the price of the PI jacket down to $75 or so. You're really on top of these things, so the fact that you're recommending this jacket so strongly is definitely swaying me. How is PI sizing? I'm 6'1" 210-215, about a 45-46" chest I think.

Edit: never mind, I found their sizing chart. Looks like I'm XL. Just ordered it. They didn't have the safety orange in that size unfortunately, so I'm getting the black.

So now I'm up to around $400 in new kit, if we count the neo trail shoes that SillyC recommended for snow traction.

So I think I'm officially a tech whore now. Thanks everyone, especially Sid, for your advice / comments in this thread.

Reactions: Sid and NickW
Kinda like when I say "bra" but I mean to say "shirt" . . .
I think you guys are influencing my boy Nick to subconsciously desire cross-dressing.
Might be time to go home to Montana.
Oh Lee, that's the military in me not the weird and goofy Oregonians making me like the shorty short shorts that are called Ranger Panties. I do need a good trip home to MT though... Not sure when that's going to happen though, but I do get to go up to Seattle next weekend for the Seahawks vs Rams game. Ohhhhhh, maybe I can talk my wife into going to Teds store!?!

Oh Lee, that's the military in me not the weird and goofy Oregonians making me like the shorty short shorts that are called Ranger Panties. I do need a good trip home to MT though... Not sure when that's going to happen though, but I do get to go up to Seattle next weekend for the Seahawks vs Rams game. Ohhhhhh, maybe I can talk my wife into going to Teds store!?!
Yah, just giving you crap, as usual.
Good luck on today's game, I like the Seahawks a lot.

Reactions: NickW
Yah, just giving you crap, as usual.
Good luck on today's game, I like the Seahawks a lot.
Todays game is going to be tough. San Fran is no joke even though I really dislike their coach. Mr scowling face grumpa** all the time. Hopefully the Hawks will be able to show the nation that they are not a bad team who's playoff hopes are kept alive by a bad call (Green Bay game that no one seems to want to let go of [and yes I do agree that there were lots of bad calls that game, going BOTH ways]).

Reactions: Bare Lee
You're really on top of these things, so the fact that you're recommending this jacket so strongly is definitely swaying me.
Sorry, just came back from my run. Historical weather data for nearby zip code says 36F (my car said 32F). Little wind, so easier on the face. However, there was frost on the ground and was definitely harder on the feet.

Jacket worked fine. Again, feet were cold and was trying to keep warm. So, kept everything zipped up the whole time. Baselayer and jacket were damp again. Clearly, I'm not able to manage the whole strategy of stay warm, but don't sweat, since my feet stay pretty cold the whole time. (Perhaps, due to not having time to acclimate.) I wore gloves, but also used the built-in fist mitts, today and yesterday.

Since, I'm washing some other things, the jacket got tossed in the wash again. Oh yes, make sure to wash in cold water using a detergent with no additives, such as a product that touts to be Clear. Some tech clothes can be dried on low heat, others drip dry only.

I really do like this jacket. Enough that I'm tempted to get another one. It's a good price and would be an investment and extra motivation for me to keep in shape. (I don't want to do the laundry every day either!) We'll see.
How is PI sizing? I'm 6'1" 210-215, about a 45-46" chest I think.
Edit: never mind, I found their sizing chart. Looks like I'm XL. Just ordered it. They didn't have the safety orange in that size unfortunately, so I'm getting the black.
I'm 5'11" 162lbs. I think my chest is 38. Medium is good for me, and matches up with their sizing chart.

So I think I'm officially a tech whore now. Thanks everyone, especially Sid, for your advice / comments in this thread.
I'm honered. Glad to help. I hope it works out for you. If not, Amazon has a great return policy, too.

Sorry, just came back from my run. Historical weather data for nearby zip code says 36F (my car said 32F). Little wind, so easier on the face. However, there was frost on the ground and was definitely harder on the feet.

Jacket worked fine. Again, feet were cold and was trying to keep warm. So, kept everything zipped up the whole time. Baselayer and jacket were damp again. Clearly, I'm not able to manage the whole strategy of stay warm, but don't sweat, since my feet stay pretty cold the whole time. (Perhaps, due to not having time to acclimate.) I wore gloves, but also used the built-in fist mitts, today and yesterday.

You're feet will feel cold at those temps, and numb up a bit below freezing. I'd say you did pretty well considering you've been running in 70s-80s temps recently. In any case, I think the overheat-the-core-to-warm-the-feet strategy has its limits, and will inevitably make you sweat more. So it's a trade-off. I got to thinking about more high tech stuff to lessen the sweat, but I doubt it's possible to completely wick all of it away with layers of fabrics that also keep you nice and warm.

Since, I'm washing some other things, the jacket got tossed in the wash again. Oh yes, make sure to wash in cold water using a detergent with no additives, such as a product that touts to be Clear. Some tech clothes can be dried on low heat, others drip dry only.

Thanks for the tip. I've used the base layer shirt on several runs now, and it does do well on reducing the odor.

I really do like this jacket. Enough that I'm tempted to get another one. It's a good price and would be an investment and extra motivation for me to keep in shape. (I don't want to do the laundry every day either!) We'll see.

I'm 5'11" 162lbs. I think my chest is 38. Medium is good for me, and matches up with their sizing chart.

Sounds like you're in pretty good shape, I don't see why you worry about your diet so much, especially now that you're running high mileage.

I'm honored. Glad to help. I hope it works out for you. If not, Amazon has a great return policy, too.[/quote]

Cool, thanks again.

Reactions: Sid
I got to thinking about more high tech stuff to lessen the sweat, but I doubt it's possible to completely wick all of it away with layers of fabrics that also keep you nice and warm.
You're probably right. I'm guessing that the body will only divert blood (heat) to the feet, when the core is nice and toasty (and sweaty).

Sounds like you're in pretty good shape, I don't see why you worry about your diet so much, especially now that you're running high mileage.
Yes, quite right. I'm not as worried about the diet now, since I've built up to higher mileage. Though, that's more of a recent thing. I haven't posted about dietary concerns in over a month. Still never hurts to be vigilant, as I've been obese/overweight most of my life.

I really like those myself but had no idea where to get them. Just found them online for 9.74. Now I gotta get me some. Ranger Panties that is.
Nick, how about a pair of these to go with your "panties". :D http://www.thesockshop.ca/products/all-in-one-men--s-technology-for-running-with-tactel-2.html I saw these at Costco and was going to buy them but my wife made me put them down and dragged me away muttering to herself "first barefoot, now this, who said senility was around the corner, it is here big time". I thought it was worth trying. :)

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
Nick, how about a pair of these to go with your "panties". :D http://www.thesockshop.ca/products/all-in-one-men--s-technology-for-running-with-tactel-2.html I saw these at Costco and was going to buy them but my wife made me put them down and dragged me away muttering to herself "first barefoot, now this, who said senility was around the corner, it is here big time". I thought it was worth trying. :)
Can this be far behind?:

hunter.jpg

Reactions: OdiarAmor and Sid
One more item to consider. Depending on the weather, I'll occasionally wear this long sleeve shirt over a baselayer. It's a bit looser than a baselayer, but still thin enough to throw the jacket over it. I haven't had the occasion to use 3 layers (base, mid, jacket).
For my mid-layer, I'm went with this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TD61X2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
My head cold and cough are just about gone, so I'll be giving the new kit a test run today or tomorrow. Man, it's been a whole week without exercise. I feel like crap.

Man...I'd love to get some of this gear...but I think Im going to wait until something that looks nice goes on sale at theclymb.com
This stuff can get pricy!!!
Not that is not worth it or anything. :)

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
Man...I'd love to get some of this gear...but I think Im going to wait until something that looks nice goes on sale at theclymb.com
It looks like a nifty idea where you can get some good deals. Though, I'm an instant gratification kind of guy. If I see a cold spell coming or need gear, I don't want to wait too long. I am kicking myself for not clicking through Bank of America's referral site, Additup, as I could have gotten 4% cash back from Amazon clothing purchases. (Though 4% isn't worth obsessing over a lost opportunity.)

It looks like a nifty idea where you can get some good deals. Though, I'm an instant gratification kind of guy. If I see a cold spell coming or need gear, I don't want to wait too long. I am kicking myself for not clicking through Bank of America's referral site, Additup, as I could have gotten 4% cash back from Amazon clothing purchases. (Though 4% isn't worth obsessing over a lost opportunity.)

Yeah…you can get great deals….you just can’t be in a hurry. They obviously don’t actually stock anything so it takes that much longer. But I did get my vivobarefoot neo mesh shoes for 35 USD which is dirt cheap for them. I don’t mind waiting so I guess I’m lucky there.

Totally agree with you Zetti, I like to buy stuff on the cheap, but I kinda needed the cold weather gear now, so I splurged a bit. Still, I've gotten through dozens of other winters without the high tech stuff, so there was an impulsive element involved too. And none of this woulda even occurred to me if I didn't participate in this society, so ultimately I blame TJ.

OK, Sid, you're my running gear consultant now, what do you recommend for hot temps? I doubt there'll be too many deals on warm weather stuff until the end of the summer, so I'm thinking of getting something like this while after-Christmas (afterbirth?) sales are on:
http://www.rei.com/product/812548/pearl-izumi-in-r-cool-t-shirt-mens#video-inner

This summer it would be nice to do longer runs without becoming completely drenched in my own sweat, or having to put on nipple-protecting gels and mini-man bras.

Go Vikes!

BTW, I went out on a walk with my daughter in single-digit temps yesterday. The new gear did well--I stayed nice and toasty. I haven't got the PI jacket yet, but everything else was on, including the Neo Trail shoes SillyC recommended. The Vivo barefoot shoes got great traction, although while walking, I didn't really find myself thinking that I was someone walking around in minimalist shoes. I think I prefer the term zero-drop over minimalist. 'Minimalist' I think I would reserve for something like the Moc3s. But mostly, I don't see why minimalist shoes are somehow grouped together with being barefoot, or barefoot running with minimalist running. There's shod and unshod as the first categorial distinction, and then under shod you can begin to classify types of shoes or shod running, it seems to me. This point isn't addressed to anyone in particular, just something that came to me while walking.

BTW, I went out on a walk with my daughter in single-digit temps yesterday. The new gear did well--I stayed nice and toasty. I haven't got the PI jacket yet, but everything else was on, including the Neo Trail shoes SillyC recommended. The Vivo barefoot shoes got great traction, although while walking, I didn't really find myself thinking that I was someone walking around in minimalist shoes. I think I prefer the term zero-drop over minimalist. 'Minimalist' I think I would reserve for something like the Moc3s. But mostly, I don't see why minimalist shoes are somehow grouped together with being barefoot, or barefoot running with minimalist running. There's shod and unshod as the first categorial distinction, and then under shod you can begin to classify types of shoes or shod running, it seems to me. This point isn't addressed to anyone in particular, just something that came to me while walking.
Lee, I think in the footwear industry it goes normal trainers, minimalist shoes, racing flats, and then barefoot shoes (man I hate that term!). I think the minimalist shoes and the racing flats could probably be flip flopped at times as far as order, but I have seen a lot of "minimalist shoes" that are thicker and bulkier and less flexible than most racing flats so I am more inclined to order them after the normal trainers. I've got some NB shoes that are considered "minimalist shoes" because they don't have much of an arch and very little structure in the upper and their weight, but I would classify them as more of a normal trainer due to the thickness and the amount of heel drop. Seems crazy to me.

Reactions: Zetti
Totally agree with you Zetti, I like to buy stuff on the cheap, but I kinda needed the cold weather gear now, so I splurged a bit. Still, I've gotten through dozens of other winters without the high tech stuff, so there was an impulsive element involved too. And none of this woulda even occurred to me if I didn't participate in this society, so ultimately I blame TJ.
Thats a safe bet! :D

The Vivo barefoot shoes got great traction, although while walking, I didn't really find myself thinking that I was someone walking around in minimalist shoes. I think I prefer the term zero-drop over minimalist. 'Minimalist' I think I would reserve for something like the Moc3s. But mostly, I don't see why minimalist shoes are somehow grouped together with being barefoot, or barefoot running with minimalist running. There's shod and unshod as the first categorial distinction, and then under shod you can begin to classify types of shoes or shod running, it seems to me. This point isn't addressed to anyone in particular, just something that came to me while walking.

I have the neo mesh and once I took out the insole it was better...still pretty thick for a min shoe however.
Do your vivo's have an insert that you could take out?

OK, Sid, you're my running gear consultant now, what do you recommend for hot temps? I doubt there'll be too many deals on warm weather stuff until the end of the summer, so I'm thinking of getting something like this while after-Christmas (afterbirth?) sales are on:
http://www.rei.com/product/812548/pearl-izumi-in-r-cool-t-shirt-mens#video-inner
This summer it would be nice to do longer runs without becoming completely drenched in my own sweat, or having to put on nipple-protecting gels and mini-man bras.
Again, I'm no expert on this stuff. There's some debate about skin vs. shirts. I personally prefer a white shirt to reflect sun. Some have a bit of built in UV protection. I think that the really thin shirts, almost cheesecloth, do a better job of moving moisture. When it's humid and the shirt is soaked, it will still chafe. By then, it might be best to remove the shirt, though of course that forfeits any sun protection.

That shirt looks good, though I've never seen it in person. I have the PI Fly Top in white, which I think has been discontinued. It's a really lightweight, thin shirt. Almost makes one think, "I'm paying how much for this?" Though, it makes a difference and they have that lifetime warranty. I paid $30+.

Edit: I think this is the current Pro model top. My best guess is that the Pro line has better fabrics. The Fly Top was pretty much the thinnest shirt in the PI store.

For my mid-layer, I'm went with this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TD61X2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
My head cold and cough are just about gone, so I'll be giving the new kit a test run today or tomorrow. Man, it's been a whole week without exercise. I feel like crap.
That looks pretty similar to what I have. Hope you feel better!

Lee, I think in the footwear industry it goes normal trainers, minimalist shoes, racing flats, and then barefoot shoes (man I hate that term!). I think the minimalist shoes and the racing flats could probably be flip flopped at times as far as order, but I have seen a lot of "minimalist shoes" that are thicker and bulkier and less flexible than most racing flats so I am more inclined to order them after the normal trainers. I've got some NB shoes that are considered "minimalist shoes" because they don't have much of an arch and very little structure in the upper and their weight, but I would classify them as more of a normal trainer due to the thickness and the amount of heel drop. Seems crazy to me.

Yah, it's crazy. They are all shoes. It just comes down to a preference in features, but I think a minimalist shoe is still closer to a Kayano trainer than it is to actually being barefoot. I'm going to go for my first run in a week today, and it's supposed to be 21F, so I'll continue my streak of unshod running.

Thats a safe bet! :D

I have the neo mesh and once I took out the insole it was better...still pretty thick for a min shoe however.
Do your vivo's have an insert that you could take out?

Yah, they do. But as SillyC noted, you feel the lugs if you run on solid surfaces, so even in snow, there'll be little incentive to take out the insole.

It seems silly to have bought a shoe that I may only use a couple times a year, after snowfall, but over time I guess it will be worth it. But I'm hoping to move to the Front Range in Colorado in a year or two, so I guess I can always use these shoes for their intended trail purpose then, unless I stay purist and stick to trails I can run barefoot.

Again, I'm no expert on this stuff. There's some debate about skin vs. shirts. I personally prefer a white shirt to reflect sun. Some have a bit of built in UV protection. I think that the really thin shirts, almost cheesecloth, do a better job of moving moisture. When it's humid and the shirt is soaked, it will still chafe. By then, it might be best to remove the shirt, though of course that forfeits any sun protection.

That shirt looks good, though I've never seen it in person. I have the PI Fly Top in white, which I think has been discontinued. It's a really lightweight, thin shirt. Almost makes one think, "I'm paying how much for this?" Though, it makes a difference and they have that lifetime warranty. I paid $30+.

Edit: I think this is the current Pro model top. My best guess is that the Pro line has better fabrics. The Fly Top was pretty much the thinnest shirt in the PI store.

That looks pretty similar to what I have. Hope you feel better!

Thanks for the input. I'll probably run shirtless on the hottest days. I don't really worry about UV. I think that's another scam to get people to buy crap. I'll never run more than a couple of hours, and if it's really stinking hot I'll run early in the morning, when the sun isn't too intense. I was thinking of using the shirt more when it's 70 or so, and you start to really sweat after a few miles. Man, I'm getting tired of thinking about this gear stuff, but I'll look into the pro line.

Florida seems like it's kind of nutty policy-wise. Is Donny Osmond in charge?

The time off has been kind of good. I got so obsessed with running and getting over my injuries that it was almost a relief to be sidelined by an illness. Now I'm raring to go again. I may be tempted to run all the way to Wisconsin today.

Reactions: NickW and Sid

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test