Basketball shoes anyone?

Alex Hulleman

Barefooters
May 30, 2017
I recently started playing basketball for my high school team again, and my coach says that this year I won't be able to wear my minimalist shoes that I've always played in(they're inov-8 f-lite 235) so now I'll probably be stuck with some clunky Nikes. Does anyone know of any "mainstream" shoes that at least have minimalist characteristics, like no heel drop, wide toe-box, or minimal padding?

I think that aside from their standard width (no Wide unfortunately), Converse (Chuck Taylor's) have 0-drop sole.

They might be worth looking into since you can find those pretty much everywhere.

I wanted to bump this thread, as i am looking for a good pair to play in. I am recovering from sesamoiditis, and think I am at the point to where i could play again.

Thank you!
ZB

I discovered a shoe that might work for basketball. Check out the Altra Hiit XT. Oddly enough, Altra does not even list them on their website (the reason I hadn't found them before) but you can search for them with a good search page such as DuckDuckGo.com. That's how I found them. I don't have any experience with them. They do look very different from the running shoes and are marketed as a general fitness shoe.

I discovered a shoe that might work for basketball. Check out the Altra Hiit XT. Oddly enough, Altra does not even list them on their website (the reason I hadn't found them before) but you can search for them with a good search page such as DuckDuckGo.com. That's how I found them. I don't have any experience with them. They do look very different from the running shoes and are marketed as a general fitness shoe.

After more research, I found that the consensus of customers posting on one of the huge online shoe retailers is that this original model fails to provide enough mid-foot width (some saying that the back end was way too wide, causing heel-slippage). Altra has an updated model out, the Hiit XT 1.5, which may or may not address these issues. Hopefully it does.