Bargain £3 minimal-ish shoes

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Piggyback RidePlease, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Piggyback RidePlease

Piggyback RidePlease Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom
    2. International

You may find that your ASDA has some shoes a bit like old style plimsoles in the mens section of their "George" clothes department. I found them in the mens section of the Hollingbury and Brighton Marina stores. The black ones are (currently) £6 and the gray ones are now reduced to £3!

They did not have all sizes and I suspect they're selling them off for before winter bites so you may want to grab them soon. The Hollingbury store only had size 11 of the gray ones left.

They are not perfect but if you find that you don't like them after a while you can always donate them without feeling guilty over subjecting some poor person to the worst of foot coffins.

They are about as flexible as my Evos but probably have 5mm thick sole with, as far as I can tell zero drop heel to toe. They are not wide in the "toe box" (so look "normal"). These are probably a good compromise if you need to chuck on some shoes when not running & want to keep a natural gait (or at least exercise some of your foot as nature intended) but may not be so good in the rain / snow with the canvas tops (hence the sale I guess). You could probably ware them to work!

I suspect the sizing is a little on the large size (i.e. something like an 8 may be nearer a real size 8.5!) but for the price you can perhaps grab some a size up or down too if you're unable to try them when you buy.

They also had kids shoes that look similar but they are not as flexible (though perhaps better than thick heel "trainers").

Note the date of this post before you rush down there (23rd November 2010) in case you've left it too long!

If you see any other top UK deals let us know.

:santa:

2. Piggyback RidePlease

1. United Kingdom
    2. International

You don't even need to go to

You don't even need to go to the store, you can get them on-line:

£3 shoes link: HERE

£6 shoes link: HERE

I have noticed that the sole is grooved which seems to be like taking about 1mm off the thickness at each evenly spaced groove point. This must be why they are so flexible. I've found that they certainly make my feet feel "different" just on a walk doing the school run and I could feel stuff through them (so a stone under the heel brought me to my senses enough to look where I was going without it being too painful).

BTW; I do not have anything to do with ASDA!

There are some £1.50 shoes on the site too but I've not seen them "in the flesh" so can't comment.

Any other minimal shoe bargains let us know.

3. Piggyback RidePlease

1. United Kingdom
    2. International

Update on the plimsolls

Update on the plimsolls above.

I had a pair that were a bit too big so I cut them up to see if they're as thin etc. as I thought they were. It is staggering how easy it is to be deceived by the lines of a shoe! The bit around the pads of your feet is around 12mm thick. There is also a subtle toe spring that I'd not spotted before. :puzzled:

I don't think they're particularly worse than many many other minimalist shoes but they're not as good as I thought to start with.

They slap a bit when you walk in them too. I hate that in any shoe (but have yet to find a conventional looking shoe without this problem).