Barefootin' off to Disneyworld

saypay45

Chapter Presidents
May 24, 2010
Hey dudes. I'm off to see Mickey and friends with my daughter for about a week. I will try to check in if my hotel has teh interwebs to see what you all are up to. But likely...I'm going to be out riding Space Mountain and eating turkey drumsticks.

I will miss you guys! Catch you on the flipside!

I think the world record for

I think the world record for walking barefoot in the Magic Kingdom without getting busted is 6 1/2 minutes.

See if you can break it!

I'm taking my VFF Classics

I'm taking my VFF Classics along. I didn't think I'd be able to barefoot in the parks. Although I will be running barefoot on the roads near my hotel.

Have fun!  Bring shorts, I'm

Have fun! Bring shorts, I'm sure you've checked the weather but it's still way hot (90+) down here...

Thanks for the tip duey.  We

Thanks for the tip duey. We went this same time last year and it was like an oven as well. But unlike last year we've had some ridiculous hot days here in MN in August and September, so hopefully I'm more prepared.

Universal Studios is

Universal Studios is sometimes barefootable, depending on who's working that day.

Disney on the other hand has an incredibly alert full-time shoe police force.

My wife thought she was doing good at Animal Kingdom, TEN MINUTES before being caught!

SP, give us some numbers so we can start the BRS Disney challenge going.

Abide will start training for stealth barefooting this week.

I still get caught at the Y

I still get caught at the Y weekly, I've only gotten to 2 minutes before the shoe nazi gets me. I think it gives him pleasure to crack the whip. Maybe he should have been a cop? I'll work on my stealth techniques there since everywhere else leaves me alone.

Is painting your feet

Is painting your feet regarded as cheating or is it simply a stealth technique?

Cheating. Only psychological

Cheating. Only psychological means are allowed, no physical tricks.

Earlier this year my wife and

Earlier this year my wife and I managed an entire 15 min. of barefootedness on our way to the Spirit of Aloha Luau at the Polynesian Resort on Disney property. Granted it's probably not the same as in the actual park, but still. I think to a large degree our success was due to the fact that we walked by 2 pool and beach areas full of barefoot folk while en route to the show.

Once we were in actually in line however... we were quickly told that shoes would be required for admittance to the event. An event which Ironically featured an entire cast of barefoot performers. :lol: Go figure huh?

S. Pimp.

I also was surprised that

I also was surprised that there wasn't universal barefoot acceptance at that resort.

We were given three days there a little over ten years ago as a gift, and I thought for sure we would be able to be barefoot anywhere on the resort grounds.....NOT!

Oh I forgot to add... Have a

Oh I forgot to add... Have a great trip saypay!

Don't forget the sunblock.

I grew up in Florida... and we used to be able to pinpoint a person's state of origin solely based upon the shade of red they had turned after a few days. MN folk seemed to tend toward a nice crimson if I remember correctly. ;)

Anyway.... Enjoy!

S. Pimp.

Sounds like a blast, SayPay.

Sounds like a blast, SayPay. Enjoy yourself down there. I hope you have plenty of coupons!

How about running the Disney Half, Full, or Goofy, Board? Have you heard any problems from any barefoot runners on that?

TJ, My longest run so far was

TJ, My longest run so far was 4 miles, and that was only because it was the only distance at that race.

With Michigan's autumn coming into full swing tomorrow according to the forcast I think I will stick with trying to build a bit more speed into my 5K rather than building distance.

MAYBE next spring I will try training for a 10K, but I seriously doubt that I will ever have the desire to run a half.

I heard Disney races are as costly as their parks........is that true?

They're mega expensive

They're mega expensive races... but don't change the subject. You DOUBT you will ever want to run a Half? Really? This from the same guy who said he was never going to RUN barefoot? Hmmmm. We'll see.

And have you heard about anyone having problems running Disney barefoot? I thought you may have come across something on the SBL.

SBLers talk about the

SBLers talk about the barefoot unfriendliness of the parks a lot, but I never heard anything about the races until I started reading that "other" forum.

It's hard enough to fit in 5 K training and racing without giving up something else, and I am still biking regularly.

I look at cycling as my distance cardio training, and running as my high heart rate for 25 minutes two or three times a week workout.

I worry that if I ran say 20 miles per week I would eventually end up injured like so many, while cycling (since I switched to always barefoot cycling) never gives me any problems.

To tell you the truth, knowing that the 5K is now the most popular and still fastest growing race distance, and that I can find one just about anywhere, keeping cycling as my distance activity and always training fast for the 5K run makes a lot of sense.

The only thing I've given up due to running is walking, and I no longer have the sole toughness I used to.

My guess is that as fall arrives, I will keep running as I have, but end up adding more walking and hiking as the biking conditions worsen.

The only thing I've given up

The only thing I've given up due to running is walking, and I no longer have the sole toughness I used to.

Really? That is surprising. Are you running less miles than you used to walk?

Yes, I used to walk 5 miles

Yes, I used to walk 5 miles barefoot at least three times per week, and at least a third of it was on gravel.

I'm only running two or three times per week, 2.8 -3.1 miles per run, all on asphalt or concrete.

Walking builds sole toughness more than running anyways, the landings are'nt as light, and for most people, myself included, it is a heel strike on pavement.

I rest my feet and legs on running days off by cycling, but I think if I stabilize at the current distance and speed I will be able to add walking to the days off easily.

Barefoot running is WAY different on the feet than barefoot walking is!

I also have'nt been skating much at all, trying to rest for the weekend races I've been entering.

It's all been based on improving my race times, but I think soon I will have reached my max healthy speed (8 minute miles for the 5K) My PR is 8:22 mm for the 5K, and just this past May I was running 12 1/2 minute miles.

I'm 57, and cardio capacity is really my limiting factor.

I'm only 5' 5 1/2", with short legs for that overall height, so I really get spinning.

My coronary arteries are'nt what they were when I was younger, heredity sucks!

I just ran the Disneyland

I just ran the Disneyland half and there were two barefooters that I know of. They made sure to point them out and draw attention to it, in a good way, as they ran through the starting area. I imagine Disney World's races are the same.

Now after I finished the race at Disneyland my feet were killing me from the rough roads we ran on so I stopped in a store in downtown Disney and I was there for about 5 minutes before a lady sent another lady over to tell me I had to wear shoes in the store. I had them in my hand and I was buying crocs so I could have some cushion for my bruised soles. I obliged and they apologized knowing that I had just finished the race but said "it's the rules and we are told we have to make people wear shoes". It's not the store clerks fault so I took my new crocs and put them on. Felt like walking on marshmallows.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test