Barefooters in Houston?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Laura in Houston, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Laura in Houston

Laura in Houston Barefooters
    1. Texas - Dallas

(Posted this SOMEwhere earlier, thinking it was the Texas Forum - can't tell where, since it wasn't here. This message board is difficult to navigate.)

I ran the Texas Marathon in Kingwood yesterday, and don't plan to run again until tomorrow. Which is when I start running barefoot!

I'm wondering if there are any other Houston barefooters posting/reading this forum. I'm near BW8/290. Will probably be using the Jersey Village HS track first, then graduating to harder surfaces as I go. I have about 430 miles on the shoes, so it's time to change them anyway. I'll keep the mileage down as I learn, and hit the gym for additional aerobic work as needed.

By the way, that was my first marathon, and I'm 50. I started running in college, quit in my 30s while raising my 2 boys, started up again about 3 years ago with a "Couch to 5k" program. Had to restart once after a 6-month layoff. Sons are now 17 and 13, so I'm gaining more time soon. No more marathons until I retrain to barefoot style.

I'm planning to buy some huaraches instead of the VFFs or other shoes, though I may try a "shoe" type when running on surfaces like gravel.

I'm here to learn! My right knee and hip have been bugging the heck out of me with these longer training distances, and I really tweaked the knee during the LaPorte Half going over the bridge. Posture and stride were all wrong, I'm sure. Thought I had torn a meniscus, but thankfully not. Amazingly, neither the hip or knee were an issue during the marathon!

So now I hope to stay injury-free while changing my running style!

2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Welcome, Laura!

Welcome, Laura!

3. knitnrun

knitnrun Barefooters
    1. Texas - Dallas

Hi Laura,I am also near

Hi Laura,

I am also near Houston, though on the opposite side (Baytown). I started running when I was 39--I count that as my mid-life crisis (hubby got a tattoo).

Be careful transitioning to barefoot, especially as you are clearly used to running a lot of miles. When I switched to my VFF's at Christmas, I carried them until I had warmed up, switched shoes, ran 1-2 miles, switched back, and finished in my tennies. Even so, my feet and ankles were often so sore it was hard to walk later, even with very low miles.

Good luck!

Judy

4. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

And welcome to you too, Judy!

And welcome to you too, Judy!

5. HobbitFeet

HobbitFeet Barefooters
    1. Texas - Dallas

alright Houston!  guess that

alright Houston! guess that makes two of us atleast. Although I've seen barefooters around town, so I know they're out there.

6. Janie

Janie Barefooters

Hi.  I'm new to barefoot

Hi. I'm new to barefoot running, having given running up years ago due to knee pain. But my son started running barefoot after reading Born to Run, and he convinced me to read the book. I've been running pain-free (though not quite barefoot as I am running in VFF shoes) for about a month now. What fun!

Laura in Houston, did you ever run at the Jersey Village H.S. track? I live near there and my kids go to that H.S. I'm wondering how that track worked out for your bare feet. So far, I'm just running around the neighborhood, but I'm looking for some non-paved surfaces. Thanks!

Happy Trails!

7. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Welcome, Janie!  Glad to have

Welcome, Janie! Glad to have you here.

8. twinkletoes

twinkletoes Barefooters
    1. Nevada - Reno

Laura and Janie and Judy

Laura and Janie and Judy Welcome, I wish I were still in Houston for BF company- I'm an odd duck here in Reno!

Janie, about non-paved surfaces, I know they're not in your immediate neighborhood, but my favorite places to run were the dirt running/walking paths around Rice U and Memorial Park. Both are about 3 miles around the perimeter, so until you build up mileage you can get a little variety of terrain by zigzagging through Memorial until you build up mileage. Or walk/run to get an idea of what you're in for when you take off the shoes.

9. Jonny00GT

Jonny00GT Chapter Presidents
    1. Texas - Dallas
    2. Florida -...
    3. Presidents

Y'all can try here too:

Y'all can try here too: Houston: http://www.meetup.com/Houston-Barefoot-Running/ I think there are some BFR.org members on there with some regular runs. JimN may know more about that area. If any of y'all ever come up to Dallas, let me know and we'll get together.

-Jonny

10. Janie

Janie Barefooters

Thanks for the advice,

Thanks for the advice, Twinkletoes and JonnyooGT. I've found some retention ponds in the northwest area of Houston with dirt paths around them, so I will give those, Rice and Memorial Park a try. We used to ride our bikes through the woods by Memorial Park. It would be fun running up and down those hills - hills are tough to come by in Houston!

How often do you all run? I think every day would be tough on my old joints. Thinking of maybe running twice a week and elliptical trainer once or twice a week. I lift weights 3 times a week now and plan to keep doing that. Do you think, if I only run twice a week, I could ever get up to running a 10K or maybe even a half-marathon? Right now I'm running only 2-3 miles when I run. Also, what's a good pace for training? Right now I'm really running slowly, but I would like to pick up the pace a bit so that I can run with my teenagers and others. Any books about training you all can recommend for a novice? (I was a sprinter in high school, so this whole long-distance thing is new to me).

Sorry about all the questions - I sure could use the advice!

11. Jonny00GT

Jonny00GT Chapter Presidents
    1. Texas - Dallas
    2. Florida -...
    3. Presidents

"Hard on the

"Hard on the joints"...LOL...new people are cute! (Not that I'm all that seasoned.) No more joint pounding for you, Missy! This is Barefoot Running...we do things a different kinda way! Say "bye bye" to the joint pains. ;o)

Every other day is a good start, but the most important thing you can do it listen to your body.

There is lots of info in the Library section at the top right as well as youtube and google.

"Barefoot Running Step by Step" by Barefoot Ken Bob is a great "how to" manual for the beginning barefooter.

Start slow is the number one rule. Don't worry about pace or distance right now. Since you've been running long distances, this will be your biggest challenge...easing into it, so by all means...cross train to your heart's content!

You've been "supporting" your arches for years. As we know, when you support or over support any part of the human body(neck brace, knee brace, cast, etc) that part will atrophy. Use it to the point of exertion and it will get stronger. Also the raised heal in standard shoes can have a shortening effect on the achillies.

A good start is to go barefoot as often as you can...around the house and the yard, etc. You want to slowly strengthen your foot muscles, ankles and calves without hurting yourself. Good form and rest is your best friends friend, too much too soon is the enemy. Get on youtube and search foot, ankle and calf strengthening exercises. There are some good ones for the arch and ankles used by dancers.

I also lotion and massage my feet after every run or when they feel tight or dry.

Best advice that was given to me was "relax, listen to your feet and have fun!"

Hope that helps. There is more on this site and in the library section.

-Jonny

12. twinkletoes

twinkletoes Barefooters
    1. Nevada - Reno

My rule-of-sole is to wait

My rule-of-sole is to wait until my feet get itchy, literally, even 10 months later. (first BF run in September 2010, going full-time BF in January 2011)

Since everyone's feet condition differently (and I think the climate/temp. is a big factor too), listening to your own body is crucial. A lot of people advocate distance before speed and that is certainly true for me, since running long is my happy place- I am quite slow but was able to work up to 13 miles by April just doing longer and longer distances on the weekend with 1 maybe 2 shorter during the week. So, I run farther then take an extra day or two to let my feet cool down and that's worked for me. Also, every time I ramp it up, whether on hills (they're tough here) or by doing speed work, and esp. if there is any water on the road, my feets need a little more time to recover. Injury just isn't worth pushing ahead of my ego.

13. Janie

Janie Barefooters

Thanks for all the great

Thanks for all the great advice!