"Barefoot???!!! You'll get horrible feet!"

Discussion in 'Barefootedness' started by Hulahooper, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Spiderweb62

Spiderweb62 Barefooters
    1. Germany &...
    2. Australia
    3. France

One thing that works really well is Nivea In Shower body lotion / moisturiser....Keeps your skin from cracking...Or is it the combination of this + Acuah's suggestion ? :D

Bare Lee likes this.
  2. Sid

Sid Barefooters

I use Neutrogena Norwegian hand cream. Hands and feet seem analogous. It works for me.

3. Sid

Sid Barefooters

The keratinization patterns on my feet have changed, as I've progressed in rehabbing my feet from shoe damage.

I've found that at a certain point, calluses can be problematic. When they are no longer protective, they can cause irritation.

I've been working at filing away the non-protective calluses, and for the most part, they haven't come back. Removing unneeded calluses and leaving general keratinization seems to be key for me.

happysongbird likes this.
  4. happysongbird

happysongbird Chapter Presidents
    1. Idaho

I had several people ask to see the bottoms of my feet, and two asked to touch the bottoms! this weekend at social gatherings. I think the attention was more than usual because of friends bringing up that I had just run the marathon barefoot. One lady did say I "had a callus" on one big toe, to which I responded much along these lines, and it made immediate sense to her. The whole bottom of the foot and some up the sides is leathery, not one sore-like spot or in a few areas. FWI, I have had a pronounced "writer's" callus on the middle finger of my write hand for as long as I can remember and it has always irritated me. It is strangely sensitive and I often end up subconsciously rubbing it to bring relief. I have not had this same sensation with the thickening and changes in my soles from bei g bare foot. I also think climate greatly affects how much needs to be done for the skin, whether on bare feet or not. The high desert dryness here was so different from the time we lived in high humidity Taiwan. Here, I put olive oil on my feet almost every night, which is something I have done regularly for the rest of my skin for many pre-barefoot years, because it is one of the few "lotions" I don't have an allergic reaction to.

Ahcuah and Sid like this.
  5. Ahcuah

Ahcuah Barefooters

I notice Neutrogena does not contain urea. Obviously, if it works for you no need to change. But in my case I used to use it, and switching to Flexitol made a difference for me.

Sid likes this.
  6. paulbeales

paulbeales Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

+1 for Flexitol