Barefoot with bunions

John Allsopp

Barefooters
Feb 10, 2014
Hi

I ran the Nottingham marathon in 2007 (cripes, that long ago?) and haven't really run (or done anything) since. I'm wanting to get back into it and fancy barefoot style (but probably with barefoot style shoes).

I'm 52, 6'6" tall, my feet are size 14 and I've a couple of lovely bunions (that don't trouble me). I've always had very flat feet, I use podiatrist prescribed insoles all the time. I did get a bit of hassle off one of my knees but nothing major.

I'm a slow runner, my marathon time was 5 hours .. I'm happy to take part, I'm really not competitive.

So my question is: is barefoot something I should just forget all about because it'll ruin my feet forever? Or, can I manage it if I take training really slowly. I took three years to build up to the marathon: 10k first year, 1/2m the next, then the marathon so I'd probably do the same.
What do you think? Barefoot or not?

(BTW, I have asked exactly this in one other forum where I'm expecting a more traditional runners' response. I wanted to ask here too to get the barefoot perspective.)

All the best
J

Reactions: Sid
Hi John,

As one older runner to another I would say go for it - but be prepared for the build-up to take a couple of years! I'm now 59 and ran the NYC marathon barefoot last November.

I had marginal bunions before I began running barefoot. The approach that worked best for me was to run with no goals, apply no pressure to myself and to have a blast.

If it worked for me it could well work for you.

Hallux Valgus (toe bent, bone growth on medial aspect) or Hallux Limitus (dorsal bunion)?
I have the latter bilaterally and find that true barefoot is the only way I CAN run.

I've got nasty bunions, worse on one side than another, from gait imbalance and years of shoes.
If you are just starting on no-"support" style, then pure bare feet is what you have to do. Around the house, down the block, little by little. Strengthen your feet and legs. Change your posture and gait. Have fun. Take it SLOWLY. Be goal-free until months are past and you are happy and soreness free.

I use podiatrist prescribed insoles all the time. ...
So my question is: is barefoot something I should just forget all about because it'll ruin my feet forever?
Can you resolve/strengthen whatever problems that make you need to wear prescribed insoles all the time?

Edit: The reason I ask is that The Gait Guys indicate that any forefoot weaknesses will be exacerbated with forefoot running.

Hey John,
I love your approach of asking both groups and seeing what kind of answers you get. It is too bad there is not a board for failed barefoot runners that you could ask. Maybe there is.

Barefoot running works for some people and not others. Unfortunately, there is no divining rod that will let you know what group you are in. If you are curious about it, give it a shot and see what happens.

Most of the advice I have seen on this site is pretty solid about pointers on how to get started and what you should look for in a minimal shoe, if you are going to go the shoe route. Do your research and start slow.

I've got nasty bunions, worse on one side than another, from gait imbalance and years of shoes.
Personally, I'd say that my gait imbalance was caused by muscle weakness and lack of flexibility, exhibited by bunions, due to shoes that restricted my feet from functioning naturally. None of this prevented me from running. It just kept me from running comfortably and efficiently.

From The Gait Guys

I'm wanting to get back into it and fancy barefoot style (but probably with barefoot style shoes).
Keep in mind that "barefoot style" (using minimalist shoes) is a separate entity from "barefoot" running. Put another way, do you fancy running in thin lightweight shoes or no shoes whatsoever at all? There's no right or wrong. It's just that they are two different options.

Running in a Minimalist and Lightweight Shoe Is Not the Same as Running Barefoot
Conclusions: Barefoot running was different to all shod conditions. Barefoot running changes the amount of work done at the knee and ankle joints and this may have therapeutic and performance implications for runners.

OK .. I actually would love to just do barefoot, but .. if I'm completely honest .. it would annoy the f*** out of my partner who thinks I'm weird enough already without flapping my size 14s all over town. So minimal shoes is a compromise. And maybe I need to prove it's possible if not healthy first .. so I thought maybe start with minimal shoes.

Gotta say thank you all, I got more response here than t'other forum :)

I'm liking 'no goals' :)

Many people have found that if you start barefoot you can transition to min shoes if you like, but that starting in min shoes has a higher failure rate than starting out barefoot does.
Try barefoot first and you never know, you might get addicted and no longer worry about what others think.
Possibly your partner might end up enjoying your new notoriety about town!
If you end up not diggin' the barefoot experience, THEN try min shoes.

Hi John,

My toes point in pretty much the standard direction, so I can't comment much on that aspect of things. I was also just a little guy ( comparatively) at just under 200 pounds when I first took to the trails. I did start running again at 53 years old (4 years ago) and found the process to be well worth the effort.

Starting out BF would have some benefits in terms of self regulating / feedback, and I am one of those guys that find it immensely pleasurable. If you choose to go minimalist shoes, you'll just have to spend more attention on how your feet feel. It took my feet a couple years to strengthen and come into a standard level of comfort.

Be patient and have fun, sir.

If you want to learn how to cure bunions, look up all the comments that Sid has posted about it. He's become expert in it.

For minimalist shoes, there's only one shoe that I've found that allows me to run more or less how I run barefoot, and that's the Sockwa G4s, or for more breathability, the Sockwa X8s. With every other minimalist shoe I've tried, including Merrell Vapor Gloves and Soft Star Moc3s, I have to think about my form somewhat, and it doesn't feel as fun.

But as others have suggested, you really need to start off barefoot and see what it's like. Even with the most minimalist shoes, you won't be getting all the sensory feedback you need from all those nerve endings in the bottoms of your feet. Plus, as many people discover, the plantar stimulation becomes addicting.

And while it's true that barefooting can be annoying for others, try pointing out the numerous health benefits. It's hard for loved ones to argue with that.

If you choose to go minimalist shoes, you'll just have to spend more attention on how your feet feel.
As many of us can attest to, those of us who have tried minshoes have ended up spending quite a bit of money looking for a good shoe. (Correct size, fit, pliability, sole thinness.) After buying 3-4 different shoes to find the right one, one discovers that the manufacturer is discontinuing that model, in favor of a new one which lacks the desired atrributes.

... try pointing out the numerous health benefits. It's hard for loved ones to argue with that.
It's also hard for people to argue, if you ask them to take off their shoes and point out the various foot maladies due to shoes, such as corns, callouses, and bent toes.

Edit: (Though, perhaps not the most tactful approach with loved ones!) :p

Hi John,
If you begin your transition in minshoes, there is a real risk in overdoing it and ending up with hurt feet. Simply because the soles of your feet can't tell you the exact moment when you should stop for the moment.

That's exactly what happened to me!

I started with Fivefingers and got hurt because I couldn't imagine that it would work completely without protection ...

Now, 5 years later I walk and run in the woods, practice Methode Naturelle and my 4 pair of Fivefingers stay in the closed...

Just try it barefoot! Have faith ..., I made the mistake already for you..., with bunions and all...:D

Bye,
Alex

Personally, I'd say that my gait imbalance was caused by muscle weakness and lack of flexibility, exhibited by bunions, due to shoes that restricted my feet from functioning naturally. None of this prevented me from running. It just kept me from running comfortably and efficiently.

From The Gait Guys

Yes and yes.
My left foot sustained a bad injury (all metatarsals broken! a few days before my 15th bday---car accident) and I think I took on the burden with my right foot.
However, being female, I"m rather sure I also wore way too small and narrow shoes for most of my life. Pain after a day in shoes was the norm.
It never occurred to me after I no longer detected my own limp that it was still there in some form. Why, I do not know, but I in part blame giant cushioned shoes for making it impossible to notice anything.