Barefoot Walking Technique

Tom Greenwood

Barefooters
Mar 15, 2013
I made the transition to running barefoot very easily and it felt natural immediately, but after a few years I still can't get the hang of walking barefoot.

I find that I bang my heels, which isn't good. I know a lot of people say they walk on the balls of their feet but I haven't got the hang of it. Its OK for short distances slowly, but then I can't keep up with people unless I jog.

Can anyone give any advice on how to transition to walking ?

We have Barefoot Walking Book Giveaway Contests on the site in the Gear & Footwear forum. Check that out! Welcome!

Reactions: Tom Greenwood
Most people at normal walking paces land heel first on smooth hard pavement. Nothing wrong with it.

Reactions: Bare Lee
OK well that's good. I think it is maybe more a problem that I have always been a fast walker and so push it beyond normal walking pace too often. Shoes allow you to get away with things you shouldn't!

Fast walking is not normal because it is so inefficient. Any time a human wanted to go faster than a normal walk they broke out into a run of the appropriate speed.
Those ladies you see walking with long strides coupled with high cadence swinging their arms sometimes carrying weights are placing HUGE impacts on their joints with incredible heel strikes . But they're sure having fun gossipping while they do it!

So I've been playing around with my walking technique again. I notice I am clumsier when walking with a heel strike and tend to scrape my toes when lifting my foot after a heel strike. Not sure why it is different when I walk flat footed versus walking with a heel strike, but it really does make a huge difference. Maybe it's a re-learning thing? I do notice that it's more jarring, although not painful at all, to walk with a heel strike. I also notice the foot rolls through the whole stride more when walking with a heel strike. Guess I'll play around with it some more and see if I can get used to walking with a heel strike. The only time I ever walk with a heel strike normally is when I wear cushioned shoes because that's the only time it feels more natural.

Reactions: Tom Greenwood
Fast walking is not normal because it is so inefficient. Any time a human wanted to go faster than a normal walk they broke out into a run of the appropriate speed.
I agree with that. It sure does make it difficult when with people wearing cushioned shores as they nearly always walk just a little bit faster than feels natural. You end up doing run, walk, run, walk ...