Barefoot Travels to Universal Studios Orlando

hmduey

Barefooters
Sep 1, 2010
OK folks, I just got back from a weekend at Universal Orlando and thought I'd give you the skinny on being barefoot in the parks there. I didn't go bare the first day for a lot of reasons but I will say I broke down and bought a pair of Converse All Stars for the trip and I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have. After being barefoot/sandals all summer, I thought I might want some padding while in the park. Well, All-Stars, while flat, are NOT flexible. My legs and feet hurt like hell the next day!

So, on Sunday I went to the park barefoot, walked in barefoot, and pretty much went all day without shoes. BUT - amazingly, you are required to wear shoes on the rides where you get soaking wet! There was one ride I tried to get on and left my shoes on the stroller. They would not let me get on the ride, and my family had to ride without me. They said it was a safety hazard (slipping while getting out) and they were ready to eject me from the park if I made a scene (they said as much). I didn't argue with them after that, just left but mentioned that they should put up signs because I removed my shoes so they would not get wet. I was pretty POd because I'd waited in line for 30 minutes then couldn't ride.

Amazingly, there is a water ride where you are allowed to remove your shoes and put them back on (they even provide a place for it) - but you have to have them ON when you get on the ride. Go figure! There is also a hanging roller coaster where everyone wearing flops has to remove their shoes because they will fly off.

Here's the things you might want to know:

Islands of Adventure (where the Harry Potter stuff is)
  • smooth stone throughout the park
  • the stone remained cool all day long
  • park is hosed down early in the morning but it's not slippery
  • there are wet patches throughout the park due to water rides and misting stations
  • very clean walking around - I couldn't get my feet dirty!
  • have shoes with you for each ride, just in case
  • no problems going on most rides
  • lots of people are barefoot because there are lots of water rides where you get SOAKED
  • all in all, VERY barefoot friendly!
Universal Studios
  • the park is paved with old rocky asphalt, wood planks, and fake cobblestone, all of which are rough
  • the asphalt and the wood is really hot by noon, even in October!
  • there are white lines painted on some of the roads so you can walk on them
  • nobody mentioned my bare feet at all
  • we didn't ride many rides in this park, so I can't say how well they check for shoes.
Anyway, this was just to let anyone who's going there know that you can easily be barefoot all day in the parks. Just make sure you've got something easy to put on just in case, on those water rides!

Reactions: Millie
This is good to know,

This is good to know, Heather. Thanks.

Reactions: Millie
Told 'ya so!

Told 'ya so!

Oh, you are nasty!

Oh, you are nasty!

Board, I wouldn't have done

Board, I wouldn't have done it had you not said they were friendly! :) Although, seeing all the BF people on the first day kinda inspired me too. LOL

Are you still feeling guilty,

Are you still feeling guilty, SP? You are no criminal. A little naughty maybe, but no criminal.

It for sure was the stealth

It for sure was the stealth training. That record will stand for decades.

Just carry some socks or

Just carry some socks or huaraches or VFFs or something minimal, just in case, Larry. Or paint the tops of your feet to look like shoes. Hee.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test