Barefoot Tough Mudder?

Barefoot Everett

Barefooters
Jan 13, 2012
Mt. Misery, NJ
Has anyone run a Tough Mudder Barefoot? I'm running Tough Mudder PA April 29th. I haven't run with anything on my feet since VFF's Thanksgiving 2011. I'd imagine I'll need VFF's for the obstacles, ropes, cables, etc. I have run a few shorter mud runs in my previosly uninformed, often injured shod past and can remember using my feet alot to grip the obstacles. The possibility of having to wear shoes is the only part I'm not looking forward to.

how long of a tough mudder? i've done the warrior dash bf. it's only around 3 miles though. i did a trail race on the same property that was around 6miles bf. that one was slightly harder as it went up and down some muddy hills. one i could barely crawl up. so much mud and rocks everywhere. i've signed up to do both again this year too.

only you can decide if you're ready for it or not. check out their videos for an idea. people in your area may have posted some if they had one there last year.

have fun either way.

I did a 10.2mi tough mudder this past summer. I wore vibram KSOs for it. Barefoot? I don't know how well that would have went over...there was some very large and jagged rocks hidden in the mud. Were the KSOs ideal? No. They were too slippery in the mud and I would have enjoyed something like a trek more so, but I don't know if I could have finished with bare feet. I am also curious if I would have gotten splinters from some of the wood obstacles if I had went barefoot

I don't know anything about your particular "Mudder" race, but I can say it all depends on what's there in, beside and around the mud. I ran a race called the "Ugly Mudder" (see the Races board) which was just a trail race without any added non-running impediments. It would have torn my feet to bits if I'd run without my Bikilas.
I'm not a purist by any means, which perhaps prejudices me. On the other hand, I'm not a purist and perhaps that keeps me reasonable about protecting my poor feet.

I ended up with a few bruises anyway, though they didn't slow me down during the race or for subsequent days' runs.

I'm probably going to wear my VFF's. The Tough Mudders are between 10-12 miles with some pretty hardcore obstacles. I'm not really worried about the running surfaces as I do most of my training on pretty rough trails around my home barefoot. I'm concerned about climbing the wooden obstacles, ropes, and cables.

Yeah I'd have to recommend wearing shoes. I would imagine running barefoot would take away some of the fun of an obstacle race.

Have fun! And stay away from the bikila's, find a shoe that drains a little faster, like the kso or sprint.

My experience differs fro Abide's in that I find my Bikilas to do fine through wet and mud. I've never been conscious of water hanging about inside them. It just seems to sluice in and sluice out. They're my only shoes, though, so maybe I don't have any grounds for comparison.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts