Barefoot Todd Byers Completes His 102nd Barefoot Marathon - An Interview

todd1_cr.jpg

Barefoot Todd Byers Completes His 100th 102nd Barefoot MarathonAn InterviewThis is an interview long deserved and long overdue. As some of you may know, Barefoot Todd has completed his 102nd barefoot marathon. That huge accomplishment should not go unrecognized. Todd is quite possibly the only documented barefoot runner to acheive such status. Todd also stands as a testiment to those of us who struggle to complete even just one marathon, barefoot or shod. I was honored to be able to interview Todd about his running and am pleased to share it here with you.How long have you been running?
I ran track in high school but did not start distance running (farther than to the refrigerator for beer) until after I graduated college in 1986.How long have you been running barefoot?
I started in 2000 or 2001with Barefoot Ken Bob's influence and tutelege and do not intend to stop!!Why do you choose to run barefoot?First off, for me it truly IS a choice. I never had problems with wearing shoes like many people do as they continue their search for the "perfect"footwear nor did I feel that barefoot was the ONLY thing that would ever work for me. At times, Ken Bob has used me as a poster child because of that. Truly, proper running form sans shoes really DOES feel better and is more natural. Besides, saving money on shoes gives me more to enter events!!

How many marathons have you run, barefoot and shod?
With the addition of the Los Angeles Marathon this past week-end, I have completed 285 marathons total and 102 of the most recent ones have been barefoot. Do the ones with shoes even count?? : )Where and when was your first barefoot marathon?I ran my first barefoot marathon with Ken Bob at the San Diego Marathon of January 2004.Where was your most recent barefoot marathon?
My most recent barefoot marathon was the Los Angeles Marathon on Sunday the 20th of March 2011.What is your most memorable barefoot or shod marathon?
That is a tough one. I would think that it is any marathon for which my twin sister Tina has supported me. For years she put up with my early November visits to New York and now my late October visits tosee her in our hometown in West (by God) Virginianear Washington D.C. Funny how there are marathons at those locations at those times, isn't it?? She, too, has embraced my barefootedness and now wears our barefoot colours when she supports me in races!! How many marathons do you have planned for 2011?I truly do not know. It depends on finances, work, and ifI get married. By the way, I haveplans for only finances and work, so if you have any suggestions of the other ...!! Seriously, I have done onlyfour or five so far but I intend to finish up the year with at least one a month. Do you run ultras from time-to-time? If so, what was your longest distance barefoot or shod?The furthest I have gone with shoes is the 100km Haney to Harrison event with a few other 50Ks thrown in. I would still do ultras, now without shoes, but have not done any barefoot just because I have not done any recently. However, a couple years ago when I coached a group of people for the Los Angeles Marathon, I calculated that I ran at least 40 miles that day unshod in support of my Team, which is my longest distance to date. But I could have gone even further!!Anything you would like to add?If you are going to learn to run properly without shoes, just do it. Without intermediate steps or "barefoot shoes" --just learn it right the first time. There are lots of resources out there to help including Ken Bob's web sites and his upcoming book, Barefoot Running Step by Step. After learning proper running technique, one can choose whatever tools he wishes to put on his feet (I don't know why!!), but at the least he will know the correct basics - with or without shoes.Always good advice, Todd, and what we here at the BRS advise as well! Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your world, so we could get to know you a little better. Now, about that lady friend...
Todd2.jpg
Todd finishing his 100th barefoot marathon at RNRAZ Sunday, 16 January 2011
Todd3.jpg
Ken Bob presents Todd with his 100th barefoot marathon shirt after RNRAZ
Todd4.jpg
Todd's bum before his 100th barefoot marathon at RNRAZ

Congratulations on your achievement and for for leading by example with 102 marathons.Like you I took up barefoot running as a choice. We live on Siesta Key in Florida and the pure quartz is a great workout and I savour every step. With Ken Bob's input online I really enjoy road and pavement as part of my running "diet". Keep up the great work. Again thanks for flying the barefoot flag.

Barefoot Marc