Barefoot Sprinting

Shoeless Randy

Barefooters
Jul 30, 2012
Is it possible to sprint barefoot, no minimal shoes what so ever; on any surfaces man-made or natural? There lots of evidence that humans are able to run on a lot of surfaces at a controlled pace. However, I never heard a person sprinting down their street to get away from a dog. When I mean sprint, I'm mean turning into Usain Bolt in the 100m. It wouldn't make sense if we couldn't sprint for our lives if a saber-tooth was on our tail. Any answers and or opinions are welcomed , that who you be.

Reactions: Robin and Sid
from the 60's and before many runners used to race bf. then racing became a profession with shoe sponsorships and such. aint no one going to outrun a dog unless they're on a motorized vehicle. even little suckers can be pretty fast.

It wouldn't make sense if we couldn't sprint for our lives if a saber-tooth was on our tail.

I'm not sure that we're capable of eluding any predators in a sprint. From what I've read, humans are uniquely adapted for endurance, not sprinting. I can outlast my dogs, but only because they're furry and overheat. However, sprinting? Probably not.

If you have shoes on and the dog doesn't, you don't stand a chance of outrunning it: 4 against 2, no fair.
If you are barefoot, and so is the dog (ok--barepawed technically), same thing.
However, if you are barefoot and the dog has shoes on, you might have a chance, provided that the dog is not habitually shod.
But in any case, predator or no, you should be able to sprint barefoot after your feet have strengthened. The impact is much greater during sprinting, however, so make sure you build up to it. I just started running faster fartlek segments a few months ago, but rarely top 6-7mm pace, and only do that for 100-300 meters or so.

If the main question is whether you can sprint barefoot on concrete I would say yes but that sprint may not be in the 10s fro 100m range but I can sprint on concrete to the best of my ability. As for outrunning a dog which is a separate question, no, I don't think I am going to be doing that any time soon.
I must admit I've not tried a short 100m sprint on concrete, I usually try my faster run effort over a 1000m, even then it's not that fast at 4m 15s. I've only just started getting a better aerobic base so I think I should get it under 4m this year.

Sid I have read somewhere that some coaches do have their runners train barefoot some of the time. Wish I could remember where I read that....? Maybe I read it in BTR?

I never ran track, so I wouldn't know. Do track athletes sometimes train barefoot?
Yes, that's why serious runners tend to pooh-pooh the whole barefoot running trend as nothing new. But they're viewing it as a training technique, whereas for at least some of us recreational runners, it's more of a sensuous experience and quasi-lifestyle choice, hence the relative newness and deserved label as a 'trend.'

Reactions: NickW
I would think, yes, once your plantar skin was well developed.

Yes, that's why serious runners tend to pooh-pooh the whole barefoot running trend as nothing new. But they're viewing it as a training technique, whereas for at least some of us recreational runners, it's more of a sensuous experience and quasi-lifestyle choice, hence the relative newness and deserved label as a 'trend.'

Yeah a couple of times when I'm out running I've heard people say, "Oh, barefoot training." I don't bother explaining when I hear that. Lol.

Reactions: Sid and Bare Lee
@Sid Regardless of our ability to sprint. We still need to be able to sprint; your forgetting the most dangerous animal of them all, the Human animal.

True. You are more likely to be killed by a psychotic human being, than you are animal predators.

wow...this got dark quickly...lol

@Sid Regardless of our ability to sprint. We still need to be able to sprint; your forgetting the most dangerous animal of them all, the Human animal.

I’ve run a few trail races and one road race (all 5k granted) and haven’t been kicked down at the end. Each of these races I was able to sprint as fast as my body was able to and quite honestly I wasn’t even thinking about being barefoot. I think the condition of the surface would make a difference. If it was on slippery grass going uphill, and an opponent was in XC spikes and had comparable conditioning they would probably have an advantage. I would argue however that I am just as fast if not faster in my finishing kicks when running BF as shoed. Lots of variables that would impact the outcome.
I guess if you follow the logic that humans needed to outrun other humans for survival (or still do sometimes) as some instinct…then of course we can sprint BF….sprinting was not invented after shoes were invented…lol

Reactions: jldeleon

I've been doing a lot of speedwork and some low-key races this year. Running 65 second laps on those tartan tracks is not for the soft of skin. My skin's thick enough to run on shattered bottle glass, but it got torn to pieces on a regular basis on the track. I doubt many competitive sprinters could stand more than about 200 meters of barefoot sprinting. On grass maybe. But a track surface is like sandpaper. The friction is extreme.

At high speed, it's like repeatedly slicing at your foot with a cheese grater. It gradually peels the skin right off. There's no avoiding it by form adjustments, with sprinting, you push off, or you don't sprint. I've adapted to the friction, but it was very painful. I won't believe a part-time barefooter could handle more than a couple laps a week of that, unless I see it first hand.

I almost got hit by a car lastnight on my run....luckly I was able to sprint accross the street...

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test