Barefoot Spouse Support Group

At our first BRS Georgia

At our first BRS Georgia Meetup, Mokie and I were mixed in a crowd of 55,000 runners (yes, largest 10K in the world), and people were sitting on the ground all over the place. I took a step, barely backwards, and I feel this "crunch!" I realized I had stepped on some guy's fingers. He said, "Ouch!" I apologized profusely, and when he looked at my feet then up at me with this dirty look, I said, "It's a good thing I wasn't wearing shoes, now wasn't it?!" Ha! Poor guy.

Barefoot Larry wrote:Danjo

Barefoot Larry said:
Danjo said:
Karen, I get that kind of thing and "What if someone steps on your foot?" and I always just say "How often do people step on your feet? Why would they step on mine more?"

Someone actually did step on my foot. It was after the race when they were anouncing the results. The dude was wearing shoes. I he was barefoot, it would not have hurt because he would have had instant feedback and picked up his foot quickly. Since the dude was shod, the full weight of his body was on my foot. OUCH

I had someone step on my foot at my first 5k. It was just after the gun and during the initial group surge forward. He never even knew he stepped on anything and his shoe ripped skin off the top of my foot.

I've learned through

I've learned through extensive experience that the worst way to convert my spouse to one of my enthusiasms is to try to convert her. :) So I decided I was just going to do the barefoot running thing and shut up about it. But she's noticed that I've become a better runner, and recently without a word of persuasion or dis-suation from me, she switched her running shoes to VFFs, after working up to about 2 miles barefoot. Now, I wonder what other activities I could advocate with a stealth campaign? .............. the mind boggles. :)

That's cool....I think I'm

That's cool....I think I'm going to do the same thing. I'm just going to be quiet and do what makes me feel good. If she want's to join me, then I'll make every attempt to get her under my wing and bring her along. For now, I'm sure she thinks this is just a "passing phase" and that I'll be on to something new in a few weeks/months. I hope not, as I really do enjoy running.

This week I'm shootin for 3mi!

Danjo wrote:Karen, I get

Danjo said:
Karen, I get that kind of thing and "What if someone steps on your foot?" and I always just say "How often do people step on your feet? Why would they step on mine more?"

Fortunately I'm only 16 and I don't have any kind of significant other, so I don't have to deal with this. Though I'm sure my barefooting will come up as an issue when that time comes around.

It's not really about whether a person wearing shoes gets their feet stepped on more often or not, it's about protection: you're less likely to sustain an injury from someone stepping on your shod foot than if they step on your bare foot.

I doubt it will be a passing

I doubt it will be a passing phase Jeep. Once you're at the point where you enjoy running it almost feels painful to stop. I get the running itch even after a day or so of not running. I did a week rest one time and I almost chewed my foot off I went so stir crazy!

I think when you're at that level you're not just fitting running in whenever you want. You have a time dedicated to it. So you have to make a conscious choice to stop and replace running with something else. For me, I don't foresee anything ever becoming so important that I need to cut running completely out of my life. So you're here to stay Jeep!

I'M ITCHING ALL OVER!!!!

I'M ITCHING ALL OVER!!!!

I have being very lucky. My

I have being very lucky. My husband has being very supportive of my BFR and of whatever I want to wear on my feet.

She'll come around, it's just a matter of time.

My hubster is very supportive

My hubster is very supportive and actually runs in VFF. When we go out, he always wears his FF and gets a lot of comments, which I think he likes. I quietly stand next to him (usually bf or in my Zems) and I want to scream, "HEY! I run BAREFOOT...I'm WAY cooler than him!"

Fetish: omygosh I hear ya!I

Fetish: omygosh I hear ya!

I finished a race barefoot the other day, with VFFs in hand (just in case I came across any rough terrain) ... a guy pops up next to me at the finish line and asks me how I like the shoes. "I like them fine....but I just ran 3 miles barefoot!" was all I could reply!

fetish, haven't you heard

fetish, haven't you heard that they make SHOES for running barefoot now? Why would you ever run completely barefoot! What about all of those HIV infected hypodermic needles, flesh eating trolls, and goose poop on the street! You're CRAZY!! It's like a cesspool out there!

Hehe...I totally get where you're coming from. During our BRS group runs, people get all excited about the dudes with VFFs on. Of course, the 8 barefoot runners standing next to the dudes with VFFs are not nearly as cool.

Similar to yours, Mary.I was

Similar to yours, Mary.

I was carrying mine too in the beginning when I was still getting the footsies conditioned, and this lady asks, "Did you run in those?" pointing to the VFFs. I said, "No. I ran in these," and pointed to my feet.

People ask questions about

People ask questions about the VFF because they know they can buy a pair and become a cool "barefoot" runner. Getting feet ready for naked barefooting cannot be bought with money, it take a little bit of self confidence and commitment.

That's why they ignore BF runners and talk to the VFF guys.

Well, now I'm crushed. 

Well, now I'm crushed. :-(

People like VFF's because

People like VFF's because they're a gadget. You can't buy bare feet to run in (well, at least I hope you can't buy bare feet... that would be really creepy...). If it costs money it must be cool. VFF's make you trendy and up with the latest technology, barefeet just make you a hippy. (A hippy who has way more fun running than anyone else does.)

Ya know, I never thought

Ya know, I never thought about it like that! I think barefoot running is so much cooler than running in FF! Is it really considered a "hippie" thing?? If it is, that is so awesome! Ya know, now that I think of it, I carried my son on my back (and front) in a wrap...that is totally hippie! SAWEEET! Get me some tinted glasses and a headband!

If people aren't going to go

If people aren't going to go barefoot, I would rather, at least, they go with something like Vibrams. I know of three other people in my shod running club of about 250 that have taken interest in VFFs. I don't know if they are actually running in them though. I am still the only barefoot runner.

I agree completely, TJ.  I'm

I agree completely, TJ. I'm certainly not above putting on FF or Zems, especially with the inevitable cold and snow that is coming! However, I still love BF more and therefore, think it's cooler!

I like the idea of foot

I like the idea of foot covering as a tool. The goal being to have the most natural form possible to reduce the impact on the body. If the focus is on the shoes and not on the form these people may get dissapointed when they try the VFF and get hurt by trying to run their usual distance. If they are standing in front of a person barefoot and a person with Vibram and express no interest for the barefooter they may miss something important and be too focused on the cool gadget aspect.

I agree, people would be better off wearing VFF than boat anchors.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7