Barefoot running Study

The Ramzev

Chapter Presidents
Jun 14, 2010
Milford, DE
So the date is set, mid January I'll be heading to University of Delaware to participate in their barefoot running study. I'll get hooked up and I'll run ~20 minutes on a treadmill. First barefoot then they will provide me with running shoes to make comparisons.

I have to say I'm a bit nervous. First, I don't run on treadmills so I'm not used to it and then having to run in shoes on a treadmill I'm fairly certain I'm coming out of this with a broken nose.

If I can get pics/video I'll post them.

I personally have never run

I personally have never run BF on a treadmill, and feel like it would probably take some getting used to. If I were you I'd try to find access to a treadmill before you go so at least you can get an idea what it's like vs. actually running on the ground and covering distance.

That thing is still going on

That thing is still going on huh?

Funny, I just got an email today from allison about some new survey. Guess I out to take the time and fill it out.

Running Barefoot on a dreadmill sounds interesting. Done a lot in my VFFs and it wasn't too bad. Can't imagine it being too much different.

Got the same final survey,

Got the same final survey, Lava. It's been a year now since I started their monthly study. I'm glad to have been able to take part, but I am also glad that's over with.

Do they really think that will be fair to the shoes, to the shoe maker, to ask a barefoot runner to don shoes and run on a treadmill? Seriously? How can you get a fair comparison? I mean can you imagine my putting on a pair of big ass, clunky shoes and running on something so artificial as a treadmill and expect to get fair readings? I don't get it. First of all, I forgot how to run in shoes. Second of all, I don't run on treadmills. Now, combine them both? What they need are guinea pigs, er uh, test subjects who have a good amount of experience running with both barefoot and traditional shoes on both natural and unnatural surfaces. Now wouldn't that be a more fair comparison?

Sounds like when I'm wearing

Sounds like when I'm wearing the shoes I'll be asked to run with a heel strike, them mid foot, then forefoot. I'll do my part for science but as you say, I'm not used to wearing shoes so I don't know how much of a comparison it can be.

See this is the part of

See this is the part of studies I don't get, why take someone who is not used to running a certain way, heel strike for instance, and test them? That gives you messed up results. You take a barefoot runner and test them for how their natural foot strike is, then you take a shod runner (minimal or super cushioned) and test them with their natural foot strike. If you take any one of these people out of their elements you are going to end up with incorrect data. I just don't get why in the world you would test them like this. It really does skew the numbers, a lot. I've read studies where they asked shod runners to go barefoot and they still tried to run as if they were shod... It takes practice to learn to run barefoot well and also to learn how to lessen the impact on your body.

I think part of the study is

I think part of the study is running accross a pressure mat. I run in shoes, in Huaraches and Barefoot so it really wouldn't bother me. I think to make the test valid you need to focus on good form and running light. Let the data speak for the test but don't sway the test by hammering hard with shoes then running light BF. The shoe industry has skewed data for years, we shouldn't be playing that same game.

Lava that's why I said why

Lava that's why I said why have a barefoot runner wear normal running shoes and vice versa? A barefoot runner is going to run lighter than a shod runner. This is going to skew the facts. Most of us barefoot runners don't really wear much more than min shoes or huaraches so to put us in normal running shoes is assinine and to ask a runner who normally runs in boat anchors to run barefoot is assinine too. One study I saw said they gave the runners a few minutes instruction and then had them practice it for a half hour or so. This is not adequate time for someone to learn how to run barefoot well. We barefooters can probably adapt to shoes better and faster han a shod runner to barefoot though because we can still run lightly. This will really skew the facts a lot...

Ram, I hope you're not saying

Ram, I hope you're not saying that they are going to ask you to "try" to heel strike while running barefoot, or "try" to run in shoes fore, then mid, then heel. That makes no sense. They should be looking at how you run naturally when running natural (bare skin) and when running artificial (shoes). If they do ask you to "force" it, then please call them out on it. Ask questions. Make them realize their method is all wrong and doing more harm than good, for either side.

Hey, maybe I'll set an appt

Hey, maybe I'll set an appt and meet you there. She has wanted me to show up and do the test. Just never really been a good time to make it out. I haven't run but three times in the past month so making 30 minutes on a treadmill might be like a 50 miler.

So tomorrow is the day, I'll

So tomorrow is the day, I'll be a lab rat for a couple hours at University of DE for their barefoot running study. I'm looking forward to it, should be interesting.

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/u

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/community/?p=3223

Did this already get posted somewhere? Sorry if it did.

At least they will only be

At least they will only be examining your running and not your brain! Or we would be in big trouble. :tongue:

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test