Barefoot Running In The Rain Resulting In Hot Spots

Barefoot Larry

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Ocean, NC
Just had to share this because it is frustrating. I have been barefoot running for 2 years now with no problems, except on rainy wet days. Every time I BFR on wet pavement, my foot is super raw for two days. Yesterdays run of 8 miles really left me hurting. On dry pavement I never have these issues. Does anyone else experience rawness, skin wear or any problems on when barefoot running on wet surfaces? Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this. The reason I run on rainy days is because here in NC winter we have several rainy days in a row and I just can't sit in the house.

Feedback needed please,

Sincerly,

Barefoot (Raw Foot) Larry

I'm still new to barefooting

I'm still new to barefooting compared to you but I have the same issue. I'm looking for advices too. I didn't run in the rain recently but last time I did I decided to use my huaraches and destroyed them. Dead cow skin is even more sensitive than human skin!

For my next pair I painted a layer of PlastiDip to protect the leather and they did fine on wet pavement, but my feet are usually fine too if it's just a little wet. I didn't try running in the rain since then.

I'm not new to barefooting,

I'm not new to barefooting, but I am new to barefoot running. I'm only up to two miles with normal foot soreness.

I also live on the far northern CA coast. We are getting lots of rain here as normal.

I find that running in the rain makes my skin on my feet sensitive. After my runs the bottom of my feet are raw feeling. This feeling generally passes by the next day. I don't get hot spots, or blisters. Just the rawness on bottom of feet.

The only advice that I could really offer is. Be sure your form is right on. Slacking on form in rain is not beneficial. Minimize friction on bottom of feet as much as possible. I can only assume a hot spot is caused by a combination of excessive moisture, and friction. So how is your form ? Too much friction would point to possible form breakdown. The other thing is maybe figure out your thresehold. How many miles in does hot spots begin ? Is that consistent each run ? If your form is good. Then maybe you need to cut the run short before hot spot sets in. It's early in the winter season maybe your skin needs more time to adjust. You may need to back off on mileage to let your skin adapt to the wet conditions. Then increase mileage as skin adjust with rain experience. Did you run in the rain in previous winters barefoot ? without issue ? what were the results of those runs ?

I was walking in rain prior to running in rain. So maybe my feet have adjusted to it. I assume it is going to be difficult to toughen my skin this winter with all the rain. I'm assuming my feet skin won't fully toughen up til the spring.

I considered paper feet for the wet running, but just decided to tough it out for a few months. Very thin material with paper feet. Maybe consider those. I can't promise how long they will hold up though for running.

http://www.paper-feet.com/home

I think not much will help

I think not much will help this. Think about what happens to your skin after you've been sitting in a hot tub for awhile or washing dishes. The water softens it up. Combine that with running on any surface, good form or not, and you're goin to start having some problems.

Is there a different form for

Is there a different form for running in the rain? I only get the hot spots, no blisters and only in the rain. I can do a dry half marathon with no problem, but start crying 5 miles into a wet run LOL

Barefoot Larry wrote:The

Barefoot Larry said:
The reason I run on rainy days is because here in NC winter we have several rainy days in a row and I just can't sit in the house.

The reason I run on rainy days is because here in Oregon winter we have several rainy months in a row and I just can't sit in the house :wink:

Since mid September almost all my runs here were in rain on wet pavement so I have got some experience.

Your feet will adjust. It takes some time. During first couple of runs in rain my feet got tender but after about 2 months running in rain they are fine. Needless to say my longest run in rain was just 10 miles.

If you keep running in rain long enough your plantar skin will adapt.

paraganek wrote:Barefoot

paraganek said:
Barefoot Larry said:
The reason I run on rainy days is because here in NC winter we have several rainy days in a row and I just can't sit in the house.

The reason I run on rainy days is because here in Oregon winter we have several rainy months in a row and I just can't sit in the house :wink:

Since mid September almost all my runs here were in rain on wet pavement so I have got some experience.

Your feet will adjust. It takes some time. During first couple of runs in rain my feet got tender but after about 2 months running in rain they are fine. Needless to say my longest run in rain was just 10k.

If you keep running in rain long enough your plantar skin will adapt.

I agree. I'm on far northern CA coast with plenty of rain. My mileage is low, but increasing with each run. Your feet will just adapt. If your form is correct. I find it to be no problem in the rain.

It was 58 degrees when I

It was 58 degrees when I returned from my 6ish mile run at 8:00 p.m. The first two miles, the ground was wet, but it wasn't raining, the second two miles, it started sprinkling, the last two miles, it was POURING! And I had the time of my life. It was flooding everywhere, I was splashing like a fool (whether I wanted to or not), and I was completely soaked when I got back to my car. Just sharing...

Great little story TJ.That

Great little story TJ.

That is a great way to think. The temp you had certainly makes it that much easier to amuse yourself in such a manner. The child like ideas is what keeps it fun. Splishing, and splashing........

The foot is certainly very adaptable to these wet conditions. Other then staying on top of your form. It does take time for your feet to adapt. No adaption happens over night. Patience, and persistence in getting in that environment to feel it. For me rain is the winter. So I have a steady supply of the rain to adapt to it. I could see if others did not see rain so often. It maybe more difficult to adapt to the wet conditions.

I ran in a light rain back in

I ran in a light rain back in October, and although it felt great in the beginning, my pads wore down I had to stop. I found that in the rain, you lose the feeling on the ground, and your form falters. Use the same form you would use if running on gravel, and don't expect to run at the same speed as if conditions were dry. It took a couple of months to build up my pads again, and during that time the extra sensitive soles allowed me to develop a more gentle stride.

Humboldt-explorer wrote:I

Humboldt-explorer said:
I considered paper feet for the wet running, but just decided to tough it out for a few months. Very thin material with paper feet. Maybe consider those. I can't promise how long they will hold up though for running.

http://www.paper-feet.com/home

Anybody have any experience with Paperfeet?

I found an old thread here...didn't help much.

I'll be in Ann Arbor the for Holidays...I'll have to check this place out.

Welcome Henry!  Je suis

Welcome Henry! Je suis d'accord! Wet and cold are just variables that will change how our feet touch the ground. Live, run and learn is the rule, I guess.

Wholely,I have paper feet. 

Wholely,

I have paper feet. However I don't run in them. They are basically the most minalmilist thing I could find. I use them in some stores that don't allow barefeet. This is about the only time I use them. The great thing about them for me. Is they can roll up, and go in my back pocket until them deem to be needed. I cut off the toe strap as I don't like it's placement. I make the front of the sole slightly shorter to eliminate the drag factor. For my intended purpose they work awesome. Though the ultimate goal is to not have to wear them at these stores. Luckily the stores that require footwear are very limited for me. This product coud also function as a transition for gravel road barefooting. As the material is super thin. Unfortuneately the owner Jimmy has raised the price to 30 bucks with the product no longer in beta. I do have a little problem with the new price. If the material holds up for a long time the price will probably be OK.

There is a review on the

There is a review on the Paper Feet in the 2010 Minimalist Footwear & Buyer's Guide stickied to the forum. Check that out for more info on the product.

Hi there,I have the same

Hi there,

I have the same problem as all of you above, any wet surface softens the underside of my feet and makes them more sensitive and prone to blistering and soreness and I've been running barefoot for about 15 months now.

When I run home from work (around 14km) I usually have the Vibrams on while in the city as there is too much glass around then I take them off when I get on the river park way. I don't like wearing the Vibrams as even they heat my feet up and make them soft.

I try to avoid running when it is wet but if it is wet I will run on a less abrasive surface such as sand, grass or smooth concrete.

The last blisters I picked up were on a rough bitumin pathway, lots of spikey bits poking through, it was damp that morning too.

Neil

I have the same problem.

I have the same problem. I could run a whole marathon with dry pavement, but then a little later, a wet 10K made my feets super tender. I think it's just like the bathtub analogy that someone pointed out.

On the other hand, TJ is right: For a short run, running in the rain is one the best experiences I've ever had.

And: trail-running is the best for rain. I suggest if it's raining to get off the pavement and find a good muddy trail. I've found that even kind of rocky trails get 'softer' when wet. Maybe because the rocks 'give' a little in the softer dirt? Not sure.

Even worse than wet pavement: Running here in Michigan on cold wet pavement, then hitting a patch of rock salt. Ouch.

John

If your not running in the

If your not running in the rain on a regular basis your feet will probably never adjust to it. If you run in the rain on a regular basis your feet adapt to the conditions. I think BF runners of the northwest coastal region can relate to this the most. As we have a mild climate with plenty of winter rain. I'm on the far northern CA coast. We are getting lots of rain. I'm not finding hot spots nor blisters.

Adaption takes time.....

I took the advice of y'all

I took the advice of y'all here and went out for a run right after rain this morning thinking that the only way through is through- I did 3.6 miles and have a couple hot spots but not bad enough to keep me from doing again though as soon as the temps rise above freezing. (26 now and falling/+ dumping snow)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test