Barefoot running in the rain is essential to do.

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
It's suppose to rain for the next 6 days, and yesterday I got in 6 miles barefoot in the rain. 50 degrees out, it was perfect. I think running barefoot in the rain is essential for improving skills, not matter how much experience you have. I actually don't like when it's dry for a long period of time.

This morning my little run in

This morning my little run in the rain reminded me how much I hated running in the rain last year and how fun it is now. I used to thinkn that wet concrete was destroying my soles. My form must have improved because now it's just pure pleasure.

I don't know how I would do in a long run in the rain, butfor a short 3 miles run it's perfect.

The longest I ran barefoot in

The longest I ran barefoot in the rain was 18 miles with feet unscathed. Running in the rain is good test to form.

I am at the point of running barefoot where I can push off without getting blisters or abrasions when it's dry. But in wet conditions i can't do that, or will suffer friction burns, so running in the rain/wet conditions is good learning tool.

Do you use any Body Glide or

Do you use any Body Glide or something like that on your soles to sort of water proof them?

Barefoot Gentile wrote:I

Barefoot Gentile said:
I think running barefoot in the rain is essential for improving skills, not matter how much experience you have. I actually don't like when it's dry for a long period of time.

I completely agree. And running on a slippery mud improves your form even more, you really need to keep your feet under your COG to avoid falling :wink:

paraganek wrote:Barefoot

paraganek said:
Barefoot Gentile said:
I think running barefoot in the rain is essential for improving skills, not matter how much experience you have. I actually don't like when it's dry for a long period of time.

And running on a slippery mud improves your form even more, you really need to keep your feet under your COG to avoid falling :wink:

Indeed!

I'm sure my form isn't

I'm sure my form isn't perfect, but I feel pretty good about it overall. The only thing I focus on while I'm running is to stay loose and lift the feet by bending the knees. However I just can't see to stop my 2nd/3rd toes from blistering. I am not sure if it is just a Morten's toe thing, and it usually isnt a big deal because my toes are usually protected by some nice calluses from previous runs.

Well I did a 10 K on sunday in the rain and I think it caused the skin to soften, which lead to my calluses rubbing off. Toes took some punishment as you can see in the photo. I would like to be able to condition myself to be able to run in the rain, but I am at a loss on how to adjust my form to spare the toes... Maybe I need to find someone to take some video of me so I can see how it looks.

http://i.imgur.com/IEuJi.jpg

I also got out yesterday in

I also got out yesterday in the same conditions and ran a little over 5. This was my first wet BFR of any substance, and I was worried about how much skin I'd lose as the water softened up the soles throughout the run. Form is definitely king when running BF on wet, hard surfaces (mostly asphalt for me). If you get sloppy, you start losing skin. That makes a great reminder to keep your focus on your form. And no socks or shoes to rub blisters when they get wet!

Its also just flat out alot

Its also just flat out alot of fun. Well maybe not at 50 degrees. But a good 65 degree rain is fun. And mud? Yeah favorite thing about barefoot running is getting to feel the squishiness :)

It finally started raining

It finally started raining here and there is a patch of road they are widening, so I got to run through some mud on my run this morning. Rain in the summer is great because it makes it feel cooler.

I have run in the rain a few

I have run in the rain a few times now when I was training for my half marathon. The coolest thing I noticed was that the wet leaves on the sidewalk felt like velvet under my feet. I thanked God for letting me experience His creation in a special way. $)

I can't agree with you more,

I can't agree with you more, Deb, and welcome! Some of my best runs were barefoot in the rain. Loved every single one of them.

On IBRD in Munich it decided

On IBRD in Munich it decided to POUR right as susafras and I were supposed to meet up and take off. (Seriously, going out in that weather would have been more like swimming than running!!) We waited until the rain had slowed to a trickle (eventually it cleared up all the way) and then had so much fun splashing through the puddles and squishing though the mud in the park! I was a little nervious about how my soles would hold up since I had avoided running on wet surfaces since rubbing my feet raw in Feb, but apparently my form has improved. :) The weather here has been beautiful lately, but it may rain this weekend. Will the feet hold up for a 10-miler in the rain? I guess we'll see...

Got 13 to run tomorrow and DC

Got 13 to run tomorrow and DC forecast is RAIN RAIN RAIN...and maybe some Chocolate Rain! Love the long runs in the rain. I agree it is essential to run train in the rain, who knows when that race or marathon is going to be in complete downpour. Gotta be ready.

And don't forget, those

And don't forget, those tracks smile. :)