Barefoot running in Sweden

swedishpimple

Barefooters
Jul 18, 2010
In a couple of weeks I have a trip planned with my wife and her parents to travel to Sweden to visit with extended family. Despite my username It will indeed be my first time there. In fact my wife's family hasn't been back to the homeland for about 20 years and then only while her Dad was on a year long sabbatical.

As a barefoot runner.... I am just trying to get a feel for what to expect in terms of the cultural response to running without shoes through the woods and town streets of that country.

I think we'll be about 45 minutes outside of Stockholm... with some extended travels into that city as well as into the countryside.

Anyway... I don't mind being considered an odd outsider... I just don't want to offend anyone.

It has been a while since I frequented this forum... but I remember a couple of members were from that region.

Any info will greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

S. Pimp.

Pimple, we do have a Sweden

Pimple, we do have a Sweden Chapter and a Sweden Forum, so please feel free to post in both those places.

No worries.Although it would

No worries.

Although it would have been nice to get some feedback from those in the know... Blind Boy? Nyal?...

The way I see it the worst case is that I'll make an complete ass out of myself, terrify the locals, embarrass the relatives, and diminish further the reputation of all American's traveling abroad. All totally worth the risk. ;)

But seriously... they'll probably be okay with the BF thing. I'll just claim to be cross training for cross county ski season (which is true) and I think they'll cut me some slack.

Besides it might be more fun just to see what happens.

Thanks.

S. Pimp.

I haven't seen BB here in a

I haven't seen BB here in a long while. I hope he's alright. Nyal was here just the other day, so maybe he'll be by shortly.

Not exactly in Sweden

Not exactly in Sweden (although our ferry goes to Stromstad) the Scandinavian spirit is very similar. How will you be recieved as a barefoot runner?

1. Barefoot interest is a little bit behind the times here. We seem to be few and far between.

2. Yes, the Swedes will think you are odd running barefoot, but I have never, ever, ever heard the slightest negative comment. The ones I get are tothe effect of "Wow! How tough is that? That looks like fun"

3. Very few Swedes will even look at your feet, let alone comment. Very few. Swedes will not be impolite enough to stare, point, or call attention to your feet. They will wait until you are far away until they talk to each other. Usually, it is the old folks who will say something to you, something positive.

4. This will hold true for running in Uppsala or the deepest forest. If you run on a Sunday, there will be millions of Swedes in the forest.

5. Scandinavian running is the BEST barefoot running in the world. Period. The best trails, the best mud, the best views, the best people, the best food (pick berries as you go!) Find some moss on the top of a hill, listen to the forest.

6. Sadly, summer is nearly over here. In a couple weeks we will be solidly in the fall. Be prepared for cooler temps inthe forests.

7. We have the worst gravel in the world.

Have fun during your first visit to Sweden. I wish I could meet ya!

Thanks for the help Nyal!My

Thanks for the help Nyal!

My wife and I are so looking forward to our trip... and although I've never been we've already discussed never coming back... but that may be a deeper topic for another time.

Thanks, tack, and takk

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts