Barefoot running good for side cramps?

About maybe like a bit less than a week ago I decided to try running barefoot on my treadmill, WOW, never noticed how much treadmills heat up :S Got a small blister on the side of my left foot :/ I'd run longer than that before on worse places (pretty bad gravel) and not has a problem, so i'm pretty sure it was the added heat that did it :/ oh well, lesson learned.

ANYWHO....3 days I was going out for a run and I the blister's still kind there so I'm like, I'll run in my sandals (I don't even own running shoes) should be better while I heal right?
About 5 minutes in I get a horrible cramp on my right side that was just about to end my run prematurely (only thing I had done different this run was wear sandals)
I decide to try running barefoot, instantly the pain in my side is reduced noticeably, and about 10 minutes after that it went away completely, foot didn't even give me any trouble :)

Well I'm convinced that in this situation barefoot running helped out with my side cramp, has anybody else noticed this benefit? Or is it just a fluke?
Also is it stupid to continue running barefoot when I have a healing blister on my foot? It doesnt hurt or nothing, it's not serious at all (might not even know what the heck I'm talking about, may not even be a blister :p It's kind under the skin ya know it like thinner skin there and looks like a blister under the skin, IDK what the heck I'm talkin about :S :p) But ya should I stop running for a while till it heals up completely or do you think it's fine? Everybody I know who's active (including an uncle who used to play professional hockey, not NHL level but definitely not house league either, it counts k?) basically says as long as there is no pain you're fine, and there is no pain, so I think I'm fine? But then again I'm a new runner so any advice you have is greatly appreciated! :D

k thnx bai

Maybe when running in the sandals you were running at a slightly faster pace which could be why you got a stitch in your side. I've run on blisters in the past and there's some you can run on and some you can't. That's kind of a personal decision you have to make.

I believe the BF fixed your cramps. It's wonderful for bad breath and dandruff, too.

Actually, it could have been as Nick wrote, a tweak in your cadence or form, or even just the momentary stop to bend over and take take off the sandals. Good on you, giving the BFR a shot, and keep it up until you have a better gut feel for such things as cramps and blisters. Enjoy the larger world outside and off the TM.

That's how it works, with everyone finding out how their own bodies respond to the fun and challenge of skin to the ground.

When using the TM (in really cold weather) I run on the left side of the belt for 1/4 mi. then the right side for 1/4 mi. This allows some of the heat to dissapate. I can run for an hour without the heat getting to intense.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test