Barefoot running and covid-19

Discussion in 'Barefoot & Minimalist Running' started by Barefoot Caveman, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Barefoot Caveman

Barefoot Caveman
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. California...
    2. California...
    3. Nevada -...

Hi all,

Im just curious if anyone is wondering besides me if it’s safe to run barefoot during this covid-19 situation. I realize our feet may encounter all sorts of bacteria, viruses, etc and we come out just fine. It’s not like we touch our faces with our feet. Still, there is the risk of a thorn puncture or cut. Thoughts?

Barefoot Caveman

BF-Bulos and Barefoot TJ like this.
  2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Hi Glen, Good to hear from you, my friend. From my understanding, you would have to walk/run through a place where someone with the virus just spit, sneezed, etc., but then I think the health officials are still learning about this virus, so who's to say just yet what is safe? I haven't been able to find anything about how long this particular virus lasts on a particular surface.

I moved your thread to the main forum to get more people to hopefully respond as well.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Barefoot Caveman

Barefoot Caveman
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. California...
    2. California...
    3. Nevada -...

It’s good to hear from you too TJ! Obviously races could be risky for multiple reasons. But what if you run on a popular course or heavy pedestrian area (practicing social distancing of course)? It sounds like covid-19 could live on surfaces for several days according to WHO.

“How long does the virus survive on surfaces?

It is not certain how long the virus that causes COVID-19 survives on surfaces, but it seems to behave like other coronaviruses. Studies suggest that coronaviruses (including preliminary information on the COVID-19 virus) may persist on surfaces for a few hours or up to several days. This may vary under different conditions (e.g. type of surface, temperature or humidity of the environment).”

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

BF-Bulos and Barefoot TJ like this.
  4. Gordon

Gordon
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Outside in the sun is the safest place you can find. Don't touch your feet and then touch your face. I can go weeks without touching my feet unless I'm showering...

5. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Thank you, Glen. I'll check that out.

But what if you have an open wound on your foot, and you run across a virus-contaminated surface, Guys?

Barefoot Caveman likes this.
  6. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Interesting. if we are to compare this to money.

From WHO:

Is it safe to receive a package from any area where COVID-19 has been reported?

Yes. The likelihood of an infected person contaminating commercial goods is low and the risk of catching the virus that causes COVID-19 from a package that has been moved, travelled, and exposed to different conditions and temperature is also low.

I didn't see anything on the WHO's site about particular surface shelf-life though, for example, a doorbell vs. a wet towel hung up then dries out, etc.

Barefoot Caveman likes this.
  7. Barefoot Caveman

Barefoot Caveman
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. California...
    2. California...
    3. Nevada -...

I have the same question.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  8. Gordon

Gordon
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Really? A cut on your foot? In an environment completely hostile to the CV? And then it gets into your lungs, how? Take ten minutes to learn what we know about CV. It can really help reduce anxiety. Our local store is sold out of rice and beans of all things. People think that the power is going out? How stupid is that? The news media is so thirsty for clicks that they just keep stirring things up. Panicked people stay tuned in and generate lots of dollars for them. Turn the news off, educate yourself, reduce social contact, and relax. Unless you're over sixty and have health problems, the personal risk is darned low. The real risk is that if we can't slow the speed with which it's spreading, the hospital system will be swamped and the people who need a bed that we don't have will start dying in real numbers.

Norma Coto, Barefoot TJ and Clark like this.
  9. Clark

Clark
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Arkansas

I saw a FB post that included not running barefoot in a long list of recommendations for running in the time of GTOVID-19, but it offered no explanation. Since I can't touch my face with my feet and wouldn't want to, am not apt to touch my hands to the surfaces my feet use without promptly washing my hands, and seldom touch my feet with my hands except to wash my feet which would also involve washing my hands, I can't see much increased risk. But I'd really like to hear from a health care expert on this topic.

BF-Bulos, Barefoot TJ and Gordon like this.
  10. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

It wouldn't make sense, since it's a respiratory virus, and our feet don't have lungs, but...

BF-Bulos likes this.
  11. BF-Bulos

BF-Bulos
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. California...

....but, better be safe than sorry.
    For the time being, whenever I go running in places with pedestrian traffic I'll be using my Xero Genesis. Only in areas where there is no traffic at all I'll run barefoot.

I understand and respect what is being expressed here, but there are many things we don't understand yet about this whole situation.

Keep running and be safe everyone!

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  12. Gordon

Gordon
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Perhaps it would be safest to stay inside at home. Safe from dogs, muggers, homeless drug addicts, mountain lions, rabid animals of all types, tetanus, lightning, broken glass, nails, texting drivers, crazed juveniles on mountain bikes, falling trees, flash floods, ice, snow, ticks, goat heads, mosquitos, rattlesnakes, and even bunnies with tularemia. Sweat to the oldies with Richard Simmons instead. Barefoot, of course. Better safe than sorry. If worry prevents you from enjoying nature, let those of us with wanton disregard for our own safety enjoy the outdoors. ;)

PS. Don't forget to hold your breath when you run in public. CV infects the lungs, after all, and is carried in airborne droplets whenever a carrier coughs, sneezes, laughs, etc. Probably holding your breath for 100 feet prior to and after passing another person will be enough. Probably.

13. macdiver

macdiver
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. New Jersey
    2. Delaware

The way I see it is running barefoot would be safer than wearing shoes. After your run you would remove your shoes potentially transferring the virus to your hand wheras barefoot I tend to shower afterwords and would wash my feet.

The risk should be very low. This virus does not get absorbed through skin plus the likelihood of you stepping on a viable virus is low too.

BareFootHeath, Barefoot TJ and Gordon like this.
  14. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Although not a doctor my take would be this.
    The UV from the sun would probably kill the virus fairly quickly (lots of UV in Australia) and it would be a very low probability of landing on a spot where a Covid carrier just sneezed and then having the virus on your feet after a long run.
    Most people would rinse their feet under a tap at the end of their run washing way any debris on the feet. I also don't think I would be going running with a cut on my foot unless it was well covered as the risk of something else other than covid would be on my mind.
    The only time I ran with a cut was when I stood on a fish hook while running. I had to pull it out then run back to the car.

Neil

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  15. mandytheartist

mandytheartist
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Massachusetts

Yeah, I'm not running outside (or inside for that matter) during this. I have a toddler to worry about.