Barefoot running affect on triathlon biking

pbarker

Barefooters
Sep 19, 2010
On Monday I did the Frozen Ass Fifty, a 52k ultra. In the past after marathons it would be my quads that were trashed. After the ultra is was my hamstrings that were stiff and my quads were seemingly unaffected. I ran in watershoes, socks and a short distance barefoot.

During my upcoming TRIs this summer I will be a little more willing to trash my quads on the bike knowing I will be less reliant on them for the run.

Just wondering if anyone else has wondered about how the use of flat peddles and barefoot running will affect muscle fatigue during triathlons.

Here is a race report by barefoot Neil who ran the half ultra. His reports are always excellent. He included a short video of me at the turnaround.

Thanks Neil.

http://becauseallthecoolkidsaredoingit.blogspot.com/2011/02/frozen-ass-50.html

Pb

It seems to me that it

It seems to me that it affects the same group as bfr. Basically your hams and glutes, moreso your hams. BFR actually tires me out a little more in the glutes than the hams though.

Do you pull on your bike with clip-ons?

Congrats on the Ultra!! I

Congrats on the Ultra!!

I would think the platform peddles would save your hamstrings a bit but work your quads more if you tried to go just as fast as clip-in peddles. If you go slower with platforms you could improve your run but it would take experimenting...could be different for shorter races vs longer races too. I think everyone pulls with the clip-ins to some extent...its just faster.

I use the platforms and flip flops on my bike trainer indoors in the winter when I'm just going for slow shorter ride...mostly out of laziness for not putting shoes on.

I'm still looking for a happy compromise on the bike peddles, looking for clip-ins but something open like a sandel or Tri shoe that has very little upper material that I can just leave mounted on the bike...the clip-in part would be for emergency dismount while riding mostly. I use my mountain bike shoes presently...very clunky but work fine.

Thank Abida MokamanThe run

Thank Abida Mokaman

The run was a lot of fun.

I did pull when I used clip-ons but have taken off the clip-ins off my bikes so I can not cheat.

So I do not have enough experience to say my by times will suffer.
That is part of what I am interested in as well as taking stress off the knee.

Mokaman hope you find shoes that work.

Thanks for responding. I post this kind experimental stuff on a TRI form and get no feedback.

Let me knw what you find out.

Let me knw what you find out. I think your posterior chain gets worked harder if you push hard but it might be different over a long ride?

Abide As my training rides

Abide

As my training rides get longer I should start to feel the extra strain on the quads but who knows.

Tree

the temps were ~ 23. Snow stayed nice and hard, great temp for running in socks.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11