Barefoot Runner Sighting

Lomad

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
B.R.S....get it?! (I crack me up)..Was it a BRSer? Running leg 29 of Hood to Coast Saturday morning about 930 to 10-ish am?

So, I ran the Hood to Coast Relay this past weekend. for those not in the know, it's a 200 mile team event where 12 runners leapfrog down the mountain (and back over another mountain range) from Mount Hood to the Oregon coast. It was my second such relay of the summer (and the month of August, for that matter). I was on the lookout for barefoot and minimal runners, as I always am at these events, and didn't see minimal running as well represented as I expected. Hood to Coast had more. i don't include the elite teams who were in racing flats.

I saw one skin to ground barefoot runner, late in the relay. I know StJohntheGambler was running, but have never met him so I don't know if it was him or another...Either way it inspired me. He was ultra smooth and made me want to shed my shoes and run with him!

On another, related note I think this was my last 'traditional running shoe' event. I'm at a point in my injury comeback and my training cycle that I can start moving back to less. I'm going to take it ultra slow, but I think I'm ready. We'll see!

I LOVE THAT!!!! = BRS = Barefoot Runner Sighting Ha!

John ran and he is pretty noticeable. he has long hair and when i've seen him it's in a ponytail.

there are others out there who don't know about us. i met a guy last month from virginia who just moved here and apparently hasn't joined the site yet. must've forgot the name.

TJ, is there a business card template on here? i remember something about one but am a bit lazy to look.

Reactions: jldeleon
Yeah, I've been meaning to ask for a template too. I can print some up. In fact, I have a ton of business card stock sitting around my house gathering dust.

So, back to me...I did my post race recovery two miler yesterday in huaraches, plus a 1/4 mile bfw (that's barefoot walk, for the acronymically challenged) at the end. Feeling pretty good today so far.

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
So back to me...ha!

Reactions: Lomad
I'm gonna have to change my signature...I went out and picked up 'minimal' shoes (Running industry minimal, not barefoot approved minimal) today, in the guise of New Balance MT110 trail shoes (that will also be road shoes for now). low drop, low to the ground, firm with groundfeel, no widgets or assistive running shoe technology; just a shape that is made for my foot and a nice wide toebox (hello toe splay, I've missed you).

I'll be rotating these with my unseeable sandals for running while doing some barefoot walking to condition the soles. then maybe, just maybe, I will run, with skin to ground, rekindling a long lost love affair with running.

Or...I'll wimp entirely and stick with the shoes at the first sign of ouchies. who can say.

Tally Ho!

"Maximalist". I like that; very stylish.

...and FWIW, the fact that you're willing to consider minimalist tapering off to skin-to-ground counters the possibility of being a wimp. Trying and backing off of something makes not a wimp; not trying at all - THAT makes one a wimp (save for very obvious certain-death things like jumping into an active volcano, or riding a slingshot into a brick wall...that sort of stuff).

"Maximalist". I like that; very stylish.

...and FWIW, the fact that you're willing to consider minimalist tapering off to skin-to-ground counters the possibility of being a wimp. Trying and backing off of something makes not a wimp; not trying at all - THAT makes one a wimp (save for very obvious certain-death things like jumping into an active volcano, or riding a slingshot into a brick wall...that sort of stuff).
Who gave you the link to my YouTube channel?

Reactions: Bare Lee
Dude, read away. It's just about my inconsistency in approach to running (I'm never running in shoes again! No, wait, I'm never running barefoot again! No wait...) Laced with a lot of insults to myself.

Don't blame me if you fall asleep, though...

Reactions: Bare Lee
...the path to more is paved with less. Brilliant.

No. Today, right now, I am at the surgeon's office for sensory nerve testing and consultation, then tomorrow, we just hang out, then Thursday, the 30th, I will have surgery on both feet.

No. Today, right now, I am at the surgeon's office for sensory nerve testing and consultation, then tomorrow, we just hang out, then Thursday, the 30th, I will have surgery on both feet.
Opps, got it wrong. Too late though, the prayers have already been sent out! I'll repray on Thursday. All the best TJ. As someone who was going crazy after being laid up a measly two and a half weeks, I know how much you need this.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts