barefoot on NBC ch12

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by ChaoticMark, Sep 10, 2010.

1. ChaoticMark

ChaoticMark Barefooters
    1. Arizona -...

a couple of weeks ago a reporter from NBC ch12 contacted me after hearing i run barefoot on the trails. we got together and shot about an hour of footage which got whittled down into about a minute for the aired piece. anyway, thought you all might get a kick out of it (especially the overweight podiatrist telling us it's "not natural").

here's the link to the story and video on the AZcentral website...http://bit.ly/bOkmzt

2. Abide

Abide Barefooters
    1. Colorado

Nice, way to represent. Where the hell did they find this guy? Do they really teach this in podiatry school?

"Dr. C. Jon Beecroft is a podiatrist in Awatukee and says barefoot runners need to be careful. He says, in fact, toe heel is not the natural way to run, heel toe is. Since barefoot runners have to train and learn to run this way it goes against what they should be doing."

3. Jimmy Hart

Jimmy Hart Barefooters
    1. Arizona -...
    2. Texas - Dallas
    3. International

Love it. So typical of a news report on barefoot running. The doctor says no one walks toe heel and then tries to say that applies to running as well when it's already widely known for as long as I can remember that the two are different movements. He also says to stay on grass and dirt avoid injuries but those are the places that hide potentially dangerous things. I also love and I mean love the fact that a guy who looks like he's never run a step in his life is trying to tell people how to run. Those who can't do teach but that's usually after they've at least tried.

Good job Mark on sticking to your guns even though you and Whitefire were the only two in that piece that believed it was anything but nuts.

Oh and lets not forget to plug Born to Run anytime anyone on the planet talks about barefoot running!

4. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

The poor old doc probably gave up on running some time ago when he started to develop knee pain from his boat anchor running shoes.

Way to represent, Mark!

5. ChaoticMark

ChaoticMark Barefooters
    1. Arizona -...

thanks, guys. while the story did seem to spend a bit more time highlighting the doctor's views i really liked how the anchor said he's totally willing to try it because "it makes sense".