Barefoot on American Airlines

Just came back from a trip to Eagle Rock Missouri where I was off the grid for a while. Took a total of 5 planes and went on the tarmac several times in the course of my trip. Started at Manchester, NH and had stops at Charlotte NC, Springfield, MO on the way out. On my return trip I added Chicago, IL and Reagan National Airport in DC. I took American Airlines and they never once said anything about me being barefoot. I don't think the check-in person noticed I was barefoot, so that might have helped.

In the concourse at Manchester, NH one lady was standing outside of her store noticed I was barefoot and inquired if I had shoes. But it was more curiosity than anything else. The federal security agents also asked if I had shoes, but they didn't seem to be bothered by me being barefoot. No one else mentioned my bare feet.

I'll report later on the reactions of the people at the camp where I was volunteering. It was very interesting.

Sounds like a nice trip. It's always hit or miss with these airlines and their employees. Feels good to have a nice stretch of luck. Wish we didn't have to rely on luck to get around barefoot though. :barefoot:

I just found this on American Airlines website. I really did get lucky.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/support/conditions-of-carriage.jsp#AcceptPass

Scroll down about halfway to Acceptance of Passengers and you'll find the following.

12. Are clothed in a manner that would cause discomfort or offense to other passengers or are barefoot.

Good thing I didn't see this the before I left.

Though I tried to be respectful of the person setting next to me and never brought my barefoot out from under the seat in front of me. Actually, most of the time they were kind of under my carry on pack. When I had a seat to myself I was a bit boulder, but still was mindful that some people just don't like the site of bare feet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barefoot TJ and KTR
I just found this on American Airlines website. I really did get lucky.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/support/conditions-of-carriage.jsp#AcceptPass

Scroll down about halfway to Acceptance of Passengers and you'll find the following.

12. Are clothed in a manner that would cause discomfort or offense to other passengers or are barefoot.

Good thing I didn't see this the before I left.

Though I tried to be respectful of the person setting next to me and never brought my barefoot out from under the seat in front of me. Actually, most of the time they were kind of under my carry on pack. When I had a seat to myself I was a bit boulder, but still was mindful that some people just don't like the site of bare feet.

Mind you, I liked you reporting this, not that I like the fact you can't be barefoot in their planes :p

Knowing this I'm not sure if I would do anything differently. If I had been told I needed shoes on this trip, I would have pulled out my sandals and put them on. You don't argue with the airlines these days, they have enough to worry about. Though I had wondered what they would have done if I said they were on my checked bag. Now I think that would be a very bad thing to pull.

I did notice the guy behind me on the other side of the aisle had his flip flops off the entire time. Other passengers slip their shoes off as well. I think if we just need to be mindful that a lot of people think bare feet are dirty and smellier than shoes are and they think being barefoot is just wrong. For most of us being barefoot is a pleasant experience, for a few it is a necessity. I'll be thankful I can wear shoes without any painful consequences and put on shoes when necessary. It is not a matter of me having my rights violated by having to put shoes on. They have the right to require everyone to wear shoes and as long as everyone has the same requirement it is fair. They could require anyone flying on their airlines to wear red shirts and it would be 100% lawful, though maybe not good for business. Maybe someday there will be enough barefoot people to carry some weight in these matters. Until then I'm mindful I'm in the minority and enjoy being barefoot whenever possible and respectful at other times.

I often fly barefoot and go through airports barefoot. Interestingly the security check people like this, as it eases their checking procedure. Whenever they ask me regarding my shoes, I tell them I had taken them off and put them into the luggage to ease their job. Then they smile and we get along nicely.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ and KTR

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090